Your Book Activity - January 2015

Kylie

Everyone wants to read The Miniaturist! I looked it up on Goodreads yesterday and couldn't see what the hype is about, it's swimming in lukewarm reviews. Somebody read it and tell me if it's good!!

Possibly it's the cover Noll .. I for one admit to such shallowness :D 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly it's the cover Noll .. I for one admit to such shallowness :D 

Mwehehe yeah I have been known to do that too - it IS a pretty cover, but if I get it, I'll be getting a Kindle copy, so it's not quite as tempting :lol:

If anyone is curious, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson is good, I am only just into it 10% but it is going really well.  I hope it pulls me out of my "slump".  Also, it is one of the longest Kindle Samples I have had, at 7% of the book, so if you are interested, know you can read quite a bit of it for free.

Oh- and the US price is $1.99

Edit: I forgot to mention I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday :exc:

The Celestine Prophecy was huge when I was a teenager, and I jumped on the 'new age' bandwagon very briefly. I think I wanted to like the book more than I actually did like it. I also think I would be quite harsh in my view of it, if I were to re-read it now, as I'm about as far from a new-age type person as you can get. :giggle:

That was very popular when I was in High School, so the early to mid 90's.  I never read it, because of the coincidence stance.  I don't know, if I read it now, if I would disagree or not.  That's why its on the "eventually" TBR, but because of my preconceived notions, I haven't gotten to it.  Besides, I don't read a lot of "spiritual" books.

Edited by Anna Begins

We had a daytrip to my namesake today, so I finished reading The Scandalous Marriage by M. C. Beaton while looking out at and listening to the stormy waves crashing onto the shore at my favourite beach. :cool:

Think I'm going back to my TBR next and reading the next Daisy Dalrymple Mystery, Gunpowder Plot by Carola Dunn. :smile2:

If anyone is curious, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson is good, I am only just into it 10% but it is going really well.  I hope it pulls me out of my "slump".  Also, it is one of the longest Kindle Samples I have had, at 7% of the book, so if you are interested, know you can read quite a bit of it for free.

Edit: I forgot to mention I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday :exc:

That was very popular when I was in High School, so the early to mid 90's.  I never read it, because of the coincidence stance.  I don't know, if I read it now, if I would disagree or not.  That's why its on the "eventually" TBR, but because of my preconceived notions, I haven't gotten to it.  Besides, I don't read a lot of "spiritual" books.

Poppy recommended that book to me and I twice requested the library to buy it with no success. Guess I will have to break down and buy the book. :)

Two books on the go simultaneously at the moment.  Continuing to read Tim Clayton's Waterloo, being just over half way, and just concluded the Battles of Quatre-Bras and Ligny.  It is proving to be absolutely outstanding, but I only have it in hardback, so it's not that portable.  As a result, I'm also rereading Patrick O'Brian's first Aubrey/Maturin novel, Master and Commander, which is as good as I remember it, if not better as I've got a stronger handle on the naval language.  Massive excellence already, and am less than a fortnight into the new year!

Edited by willoyd

Ripley Under Ground is the second book. I would definitely recommend it if you liked The Talented Mr Ripley. It has only referred back to the first book a couple of times, when a relative of Dickie Greenleaf appears, so as long as you remember the character of Tom Ripley well enough, you probably don't have to re-read the first book (but why wouldn't one want to take any opportunity to re-read such a brilliant book? :D)

Oh, for some reason I thought you've already read a few in between! :blush: Thanks Kylie, I might check out if they have copies at the library. Ripley is something, isn't he :D 

Ok, I definitely need to read it soon because I don't remember

two traumatic things. I only remember one. :o

Once I finish my current read, I will get started on it. :boogie:

Well, actually there are more than the two, but ... I'm going to wait till you read the book! I cannot wait for you to get to it :lol:

Read another 100 pages of No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay, so much is going on :D

It's good, isn't it? :smile2: 

I finished The Book of You by Claire Kendal, and started reading the second book in the Maria Kallio -series by Leena Lehtolainen. 

Some emoticons were removed.

Hm... maybe I should read Firefight and we can have a Sanderson fest

Yep! I finished reading Alcatraz 1: Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians, which I loved (review will be posted soon) and I started reading Alcatraz 4: Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens. The library didn't have books 2-3, maybe they are loaned out (I do hope they have them, it would make sense). So far the book is good and funny, though obviously I missed some bits. Things are briefly explained though so it's not that confusing. 

Stayed up late last night finishing Mystery in White by J. Jefferson Farjeon. Loved it .. a murder mystery that all takes place one snowy Christmas Eve .. perfect reading for a freezing cold winter's night Can see I'll be tempted by those other British Library Crime Classics  Started A Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe .. I thought it was a continuation of her memoirs (Love Nina) but it turns out to be a novel .. good so far

I also have The Miniaturist to read ... wish I had waited for the paperback edition though. It's out now and they've kept the same cover (or similar) and as I haven't read it yet anyway I could kick myself for succumbing to the hardback. Oh well, that'll learn me :D

I'm glad your reading is going okay.

I'll try and read The Miniaturist soon, I need to read a good book next as I finished my first book of the year last night, Cruel Summer by James Dawson and it was very disappointing.

Awww :( that's a shame. 

I'm halfway through Tommyknockers & enjoying it much more this time round.

That's great to hear/read!

Last night I got the Kindle app for my tablet, knocking my poor Kobo e-reader out of the water, as I can now easily purchase Kindle books and read them on my superior tablet screen. Sorry, Kobo

I did so to purchase The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna. So far, over a third through, I'm quite enjoying it. It's an odd book, written with a touch of the 'convenient coincidences' of chick lit stories but actually beautifully written and I can honestly say very authentically Irish (for the 70s, anyway). Quite enjoying it, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Aww poor Kobo. I hope you enjoy The Misremembered Man.

Isn't Jonas Jonasson the one who wrote The 100 Year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared? I liked that one well enough. How do you like this one?

Yes! I have both books on my TBR. 

Excellent choice. The Humans is a really great one. Very witty, and with so many pithy comments on human foibles. I've started The Rosie Project now, and the two books are similar, with the narrator's frames of mind. Happy reading with The Humans!

I hope you enjoy The Rosie Project, it was one of my favourite reads of 2014.

More emoticons removed.

No reading done yesterday. Oh wait, I did read a few pages of Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores, at a party last night, when I was a bit bored I should always keep that book with me!

It's a fun book to dip in and out of :).

If anyone is curious, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson is good, I am only just into it 10% but it is going really well. I hope it pulls me out of my "slump". Also, it is one of the longest Kindle Samples I have had, at 7% of the book, so if you are interested, know you can read quite a bit of it for free.

Edit: I forgot to mention I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday

I hope your slump gets better soon! It's not nice to not read much while you want to :(.

I hope you buy something nice with the gift card :)!

I just finished reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham. I rate it a 8/10.

And I broke down and bought The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden. Will start it at bedtime....in another 15 minutes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Grisham book, I don't own that particular one I believe. I hope you enjoy TGWStKoS!

I finished The Book of You by Claire Kendal, and started reading the second book in the Maria Kallio -series by Leena Lehtolainen.

Progressing well!

I bought it as well as I enjoyed his other book. It does have to get in line though behind one or two others.

I hope you enjoy it :)!

Today I've read (so far) 100 pages of Long Lankin. I was struggling for the first 30 or so pages, but it's very well written and I'm curious what the Big Bad thing that happened/is happening again, is. Flawless use of the English language there, I know. :roll:

I finished Brandon Sanderson - Alcatraz 4: Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens yesterday (it was good, review up soon) and started Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - The Future of Us (Dutch translation), which is pretty good so far. It's about two teenagers in 1996, who are given a CD-ROM which contains their Facebook pages (with photos) of themselves 15 years into the future. Emma doesn't like what she sees so she tries to change her life. Josh does like what he sees but he's worried Emma's actions will affect him too. I've only read a few pages so far, they've just seen Emma's Facebook page for the first time. It's intruiging! So far the translation seems pretty good. You can hardly tell it's translated (other than of course some American terms such as AOL, state names of states in the US and such). The book was on my wishlist so when I saw a Dutch translation at the library I thought I should go for it, I could always abandon it if the translation is annoying me but so far it's got me intruiged!

Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - The Future of Us (Dutch translation), which is pretty good so far. It's about two teenagers in 1996, who are given a CD-ROM which contains their Facebook pages (with photos) of themselves 15 years into the future. Emma doesn't like what she sees so she tries to change her life. Josh does like what he sees but he's worried Emma's actions will affect him too. I've only read a few pages so far, they've just seen Emma's Facebook page for the first time. It's intruiging! So far the translation seems pretty good. You can hardly tell it's translated (other than of course some American terms such as AOL, state names of states in the US and such). The book was on my wishlist so when I saw a Dutch translation at the library I thought I should go for it, I could always abandon it if the translation is annoying me but so far it's got me intruiged!

That sounds really... well, weird! But I'm going to look it up!

I'm over halfway through Long Lankin now and have 100 pages in Order Of The Phoenix left. I'll get both finished in the next couple of days.

started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

Oooh, I do hope you love this one Kylie  :exc: , as I loved this one,  (and Dtr did a wonderful review of this one, very poetic) and Flavia is such a great character. Plus, if you do this one, then are 7 more in the series already to look forward to as well  :smile: .

I am 35% into The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, still good, I am just reading it soooo slow!  :thud: Seems like it is taking FOR- ever!  I am hoping this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the year!  :blink:  Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together though.  I also read the sample to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern world, narrated by Jonathan Davis (It was my plan to do the Immersion Reading, but the 352 page book's narration is 14 hours! :icon_eek: ).  The sample was ok, but the intro gave away so much, I decided against reading it.  Plus, the author didn't seem to have done the kind of research I like in a history book.  And it was a $9.40 book.

I finished Ripley Under Ground by Patricia Highsmith today and started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

I really hope you like it Kylie. I liked it and have just read the next. I think Flavia is great :)

Just finished Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamond Lehmann which lovely Janet bought me  :wub: Absolutely gorgeous! .. woofed it up in no time. Carrying on with Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe. 

Been ill and not felt like reading, so finished an Agatha Christie - The Seven Dials Mystery. Not her strongest I don't think but the solution is vintage Agatha and it was an easy read which suited my (coughing and sneezing) mood.

E

Now starting Rebecca, quite nervous because I really want to enjoy this one.

Edited by Alexi