The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a great film Kay :)  I don't know if you've seen Move Over Darling, but that was a remake of it, and a nice film in it's own right as well.  Also, Dean Martin and Marilyn Monroe started to make a film called Something's Got to Give, which was a remake of My Favourite Wife, but after Marilyn was sacked,  Dean Martin didn't want to do the film with anyone else, so the project was never finished.

The Book Thief came out here today and I saw the first screening at my local cinema. I thought it was an amazing movie and an excellent adaptation, but I don't want to wax lyrical too much in case I hype it up and then others are disappointed.  :blush2:

That's a great film Kay.  I don't know if you've seen Move Over Darling, but that was a remake of it, and a nice film in it's own right as well.  Also, Dean Martin and Marilyn Monroe started to make a film called Something's Got to Give, which was a remake of My Favourite Wife, but after Marilyn was sacked,  Dean Martin didn't want to do the film with anyone else, so the project was never finished.

Yes I remember seeing Move Over Darling and thinking .. 'why do I already know the story?'  :confused:  .. took me a while to figure it :blush2:  That's a pity about Something's Got to Give Ruth ... would have liked to have seen that. 

I like the pairing of Cary and Irene Dunn .. they're brilliant together .. The Awful Truth is another favourite of mine  :smile: Today I'm going for another Cary classic though .... His Girl Friday  :smile: 

Ooh The Book Thief Kylie  :exc: glad you enjoyed it  :smile: ... very encouraging .. such an age before I can see it though  :Tantrum:

Edited by poppyshake

:DI don't believe it is quite as fluffy  :D 

The plotline was thin .. it's got 'we wanted to make a sequel' written all over it. The kids are still cute .. the minions are hilarious .. it just was too bitty and ridiculous I thought (I'm not it's target audience though .. I do understand that  :blush2:)

I also agree with Poppy. 'Despicable Me 2' is ok, but it's definitely not as good as the first film.

Yes I remember seeing Move Over Darling and thinking .. 'why do I already know the story?'  :confused:  .. took me a while to figure it :blush2:  That's a pity about Something's Got to Give Ruth ... would have liked to have seen that. 

I like the pairing of Cary and Irene Dunn .. they're brilliant together .. The Awful Truth is another favourite of mine  :smile: Today I'm going for another Cary classic though .... His Girl Friday  :smile: 

Ooh The Book Thief Kylie  :exc: glad you enjoyed it  :smile: ... very encouraging .. such an age before I can see it though  :Tantrum:

I don't think you can really go wrong with Cary Grant :)  The Awful Truth and His Girl Friday are both brilliant.  One of my favourites is Monkey Business.  It always makes me literally laugh out loud every time I watch it.  Ginger Rogers is brilliant in that one too.

I watched High Society the other day - the musical remake of The Philadelphia Story.  Lovely songs and Frank Sinatra make it a wonderful film for me.  Cary Grant is much better as Dexter Haven than Bing Crosby, but I guess they were going for the voice with Bing.

Also watched Dead End, with Joel McCrea and Humphrey Bogart - great film, although left me on a bit of a downer - and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, which I wanted to watch, because I'm going to see it on stage later this year :)

I don't think you can really go wrong with Cary Grant :)  The Awful Truth and His Girl Friday are both brilliant.  One of my favourites is Monkey Business.  It always makes me literally laugh out loud every time I watch it.  Ginger Rogers is brilliant in that one too.

Yes I love Monkey Business ... very funny and I love Bringing Up Baby too (and Every Girl Should be Married .. have you seen that one?) Today I watched The Talk of the Town which is Cary again .. though not so much in screwball mode :D

I watched High Society the other day - the musical remake of The Philadelphia Story.  Lovely songs and Frank Sinatra make it a wonderful film for me.  Cary Grant is much better as Dexter Haven than Bing Crosby, but I guess they were going for the voice with Bing.

I haven't seen High Society in ages ... I love The Philadelphia Story ... Cary and James Stewart both being faves of mine (along with Gregory Peck.) I love Funny Face but always wondered why they cast Fred Astaire ... obviously for his dancing prowess .. not necessarily for his singing because he was just ok at that .. it's just he does seem ancient in comparison with Audrey. My preference is always toward Gene Kelly though I know Audrey was thrilled to bits to be working with Fred.

Also watched Dead End, with Joel McCrea and Humphrey Bogart - great film, although left me on a bit of a downer - and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, which I wanted to watch, because I'm going to see it on stage later this year :)

I've never seen Dead End .. will have to look out for it :) I bet you'll have a great time at the show Ruth .. I remember seeing that film at the cinema when I was little (though .. I hasten to add .. it couldn't have been new at the time .. newish though probably :giggle:) .. marvellous fun :smile: 

Just finished watching 'Gravity'. I was expecting good things with this film, but sadly, I'm disappointing. An action packed film, but it has very little plot. I'm also feeling rather dizzy after all of the spinning and movement throughout the film :roll2:

Black mirror series one. Futuristic warnings on issues connected to the way society is going,eg one film shows a scenario where everyone is in a big gym pedalling furiously and hoping to please the hosts of some big brother or 1984 type thing...while cycling you watch tv and enter a competition which clearly spoofs britains got talent. The only way to escape the rat race of pedalling and watching tv ,is to win on this vile version of bbt.....watch it it is good...

We finally got around to watching the first new Star Trek film this evening.  Having never seen a Star Trek film and no more than about 10 minutes of the original series, let alone any of the subsequent series, I actually quite enjoyed it.  We've got Star Trek Into Darkness lined up ready for next weekend. :)

We finally got around to watching the first new Star Trek film this evening.  Having never seen a Star Trek film and no more than about 10 minutes of the original series, let alone any of the subsequent series, I actually quite enjoyed it.  We've got Star Trek Into Darkness lined up ready for next weekend. :)

x

I'm glad you liked it! I also hadn't seen a whole lot of Star Trek when I saw the new film, and I liked it too. I hope you like the second new film as well.

@ Chaliepud

I like that film too, did your daughter like it?

Edited by Athena

I'm in catch up mode at the moment, and this afternoon, finally saw The Hunger Games.  I was pretty impressed with it, and it's been quite a while since I read the book, so while I know they did make some changes, I couldn't actually figure out what they were! :D

Hi Chesil, I watched it last year, I did enjoy it but I just didn't see Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, she did a great job though and I am looking forward to seeing 'Catching Fire' :)

American Hustle

The acting was quite good, but there wasn't really that much story going on. The story was also repetitive.

Edited by dex