Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not read The Running Man, bnut it's the basis for the film of the same name starring Arnie Schwarzennegger - pretty decent film, but from what i've heard, nowhere near as good as the book (as per usual!).

'The Running Man' is a great story, Paul Michael Glaser made the movie and apparently Stephen King (the story was wrote under his alter-ego Richard Bachman) hated the movie, but I always heard he hated the movie version of 'The Shining' x

This thread has come along at a good time. I was given some books yesterday and was going to ask if people had read any of them.

Donna Tartt - The Secret History

Donna Tartt - The Little Friend

I read both of the above, 'The Secret History' was readable, but I really enjoyed, 'The Little Friend' x

I read The Secret History and found it long-winded and predictable..difficult to finish. That said, I know a lot of people really liked it!

:welcome:

I thought it was long-winded as well Steffie, the characters were frankly, pointless and so awful x

Donna Tartt's books certainly garner some different responses! I've heard a few people say The Secret History is definitely better, and others say that The Little Friend is far better. It will be interesting when I finally get around to reading them.

I had a dream last night that I was in a small bookshop that was full of Stephen King books and nothing else. I tracked down The Running Man and it looked reasonably priced so I think I was going to get it. I think I'll definitely add it to my wish list, thanks! :welcome:

'The Running Man' is a great story, Paul Michael Glaser made the movie and apparently Stephen King (the story was wrote under his alter-ego Richard Bachman) hated the movie, but I always heard he hated the movie version of 'The Shining' x

I have read The Running Man and I really liked it. No films, with the notable exceptions of Misery and The Green Mile, made from SK's books do the books justice. He builds such great characters (even the nasty ones) and story lines that films cant fit it all in ! I would recommend a similar story called "The Long Walk" which is in The Bachman Books along with The Running Man. - It will make you think ! :welcome:

I think that's one of my all time favourites! :006:

Really Michelle? I found it extremly unsettling, it was one of those books that it took me ages to get out of my system, I kept thinking about it after I had finished it. It freaked me out a bit :welcome: What a woose !

No films, with the notable exceptions of Misery and The Green Mile, made from SK's books do the books justice.

Don't forget The Shawshank Redemption! :readingtwo:

I loved The Long Walk, and like you Chicken, it stayed with me a long time after I read it.

• 8 months later...

I think its a pretty good holiday read, its not the sort of book thats going to improve you as a person, or even the sort of book that'll stay in your mind for a long time (I can only vaguely remember the plot and I only read it a year ago (i'm usually pretty good at plot remembring and stuff)), but as a nice quick read it was pretty good.

• 6 months later...

I was searching for threads about Gregory Maguire and stumbled on this one. I think the idea of this thread is great!

So, has anyone read Gregory Maguire's Lost? I read the synopsis on wikipedia and it sounded interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
Forgive me if I've missed a post about this book already - I'm interested in reading An Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett - sounds great - anyone read it? :lol:

Hi Dreamyflo. Yes, I read it when it came out, and thought it was a lovely, charming read. There is already a thread about it, with other reviews on it here

I've read many mixed reviews on Wicked by Gregory Maguire that I didn't think I'd ever read it. However, I was at a party a few weeks ago and this girl I met insisted that I read it and I wouldn't be disappointed, so I think I'll give it a try. She also recommended Maguire's Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Has anyone read that? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, I was hoping some Jodi Picoult fans could help me out. I've heard so much about her and I would really like to read one of her books, but I don't know where to start. There are way too many to choose from. So, if anyone could recommend one of her books for me to start with I would really appreciate it. Thanks! =)

Jodi Piccoult I would start with either My Sister's Keeper or Change of Heart. Change of Heart is probably better but My Sister's Keeper is the first one I read so I'll always be fond of it

My feelings on Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister can be found here. Before that I started Wicked, but didn't get very far - I think I expected something rather different. However, having read 'Confessions', I will certainly give it another go one day.

Has anyone read 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire?

Daughter keen to read as we have seen the show (see how desperate I am to get her reading). Reviews on Amazon mixed saying that story is quite different and difficult to get into.

Many thanks

:lol:

I read this late last year..I would have to agree with the reviews on Amazon,I had very mixed feelings about it. I'd find i would just start to get into it,when it slowed right down again,and that seemed to be the theme througout. It teneded to wander all over the place and could get fairly tedious in places,slightly rambling about irrelevent things. I'm a big fan of The Wizard of Oz,which is why i wanted to read this book,but I think if you or your daughter has no interest in this,it probably wouldn't hold your interest for long.