Your Book Activity ~ April 2013

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The casual vacancy, J. Rowling: I have to admit she knows how to buildt up realistic characters, even the more disgusting ones.

I'll go to the library tomorrow to request Dry by Augusten Burroughs because the book is in another library.. in the meantime I'm reading an essay of an italian journalist on the economic crisis.

Just finished 'Thinner' by Stephen King and even though I mostly enjoyed, as a Stephen King fan, I was a bit disappointed. Now I have started on 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt.

.Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper

Mrs Harris Goes to Paris & Ms Harris Goes To New York by Paul Gallico

I read, and enjoyed, Fallen Grace, Claire.  I hope you do too.

And thanks - I've had Mrs Harris Goes to Paris on my Wish List for ages so I've just downloaded this. :) 

I read, and enjoyed, Fallen Grace, Claire.  I hope you do too.

Thanks, Janet. I added it to my wishlist based on recommendations here, I think chaliepud has read it too, so when I saw twas only £1.97, it seemed too good an offer to refuse!

And thanks - I've had Mrs Harris Goes to Paris on my Wish List for ages so I've just downloaded this. :)

I've had it on my wishlist for a very long time too. I think I first saw it at Mr B's a few years ago, and again, another offer too good to miss out on, when I saw it was down to £1.79 today.

Just finished 'Thinner' by Stephen King and even though I mostly enjoyed, as a Stephen King fan, I was a bit disappointed. Now I have started on 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt.

Oh, I love Angela's Ashes. I read it a few years back when I was brought the 2 books in a box set for birthday or christmas. It's so good and amazing what McCourt's life as a child was like.

I'm still reading the Neutronium Alchemist. Just passed the 400 or 500 page mark. It's slow going but getting quite good. I don't know why it takes me so long to read these pages as opposed to books like the Soldier Son Trilogy.

Finished Last Train from Liguria. Was a bit up and down. It had 3 stories in it, essentially, but only one really interested me. Full review in my thread.

Started City of Women, which I am enjoying so far.

Considering giving up on Break the Skin, am about 50 pages in but finding myself reading anything other than it. It's a review request book though and I don't really like giving up on those.

Finished the Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber and made a start on The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark, which is so far good but odd!

Did you enjoy The Crimson Petal and The White?

I picked Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell off my bookcase to read this morning. It's my first venture into the world of Wallander.

Love Wallander!  :)

I've given up, totally, on The Crimson Petal and the White.

Finished Morgue Drawer Four by Jutta Profijt.  Black humor, some mystery. 

I'm going to start the latest James Salter book, All That Is.

Edited by pontalba

Finished East of Eden.  Now I must get to Waterstone's today.  Must.  If I don't have a copy of Necessary Evil by the time I get home I'll . . . I'll . . .   Well, I'll have to read something else :(

Under The Skin by Michel Faber

Ka-ching! This is a great book, one that is very likely to stay with you at least a while after you've read it, if you enjoy it :yes: Excellent choice!

Finished The casual vacancy, J. Rowling: I have to admit she knows how to buildt up realistic characters, even the more disgusting ones.

I'll go to the library tomorrow to request Dry

by Augusten Burroughs because the book is in another library.. in the

meantime I'm reading an essay of an italian journalist on the economic

crisis.

I agree on your thoughts on The Casual Vacancy, I admire that about J. K. Rowling :)

Good luck with Dry, I hope you get your hands on a copy very soon!

I started reading a bio on Abraham Lincoln and eventhough it was good, it didn't stick :rolleyes:  I'm currently reading a book by Oscar Hedlund, it's really his dog's book and his views on things :)  Great stories and great pictures!

Edited by frankie

Oh, I love Angela's Ashes. I read it a few years back when I was brought the 2 books in a box set for birthday or christmas. It's so good and amazing what McCourt's life as a child was like.

So far, this book is extremely good.

I finished Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting this evening, the fourth and apparently final book in her Body Finder series.  I did enjoy it (4/5) but didn't think it lived up to book three, plus it really didn't feel like it had given a proper end to the story, it was left rather too open for that...

Now starting The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde which was given to me by a friend for World Book Night, not my usual type of book but I'm keen to give it a go. :)

Paul Theroux is coming across as somewhat arrogant in his book  To the ends of the earth. This is summed up nicely in the way he always, when literature is discussed with a traveller on a train, knows the ins and outs of everybody`s favourite authors, etc. Always jauntily offhand with the asides, putdowns, and oneliners.

Finished East of Eden.  Now I must get to Waterstone's today.  Must.  If I don't have a copy of Necessary Evil by the time I get home I'll . . . I'll . . .   Well, I'll have to read something else :(

And.......did you like the book, East of Eden?

I finished a novel and a couple of short stories today - all free eBooks. The novel, A Hidden Fire by Elizabeth Hunter is the first in a series, and was actually pretty good for its genre - a paranormal mystery with a bit of romance in the mix, and I'd like to read the next one at some point. The two short stories weren't bad, but were only half an hours reading each, but both a bit light and fluffy.

I've started Newes of the Dead by Mary Hooper.  She's probably my favourite YA author (certainly her historical books - I haven't read her modern fiction), and I think this one is slightly darker than her other stuff (there is a warning on the back that it's not suitable for young readers) so I have high hopes for it. 

I also downloaded The Flatey Enigma by Viktor Arnar Ingolfsson for 99p this morning as I really enjoyed House of Evidence by him.

Finished City of Women yesterday. Today I started Night Waking on the kindle and The Lifeboat on paper. Pretty much given up on Break the Skin

I finished Dead Silence by Kimberley Derting this evening, the fourth and apparently final book in her Body Finder series.  I did enjoy it (4/5) but didn't think it lived up to book three, plus it really didn't feel like it had given a proper end to the story, it was left rather too open for that...

Now starting The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde which was given to me by a friend for World Book Night, not my usual type of book but I'm keen to give it a go. :)

The Eyre Affair was the book I was giving away for World Book Night. I hope you enjoy it.