Read one more book in your lifetime...

So I was browsing Twitter today (as you do!) and popped up upon a questions from the Kobo twitter account. Their Question of the Day was "If you were told you could only read one more book in your lifetime, what would it be?". I think this would be quite a good question to answer. There are tonnes of books in the world and we all have different opinions. I think it would be nice to hear what everyone else suggests.

Mine would probably be Jane Eyre. That's out of a list of about 3 books or so though. Jane Eyre is just a wonderful classic. Romantic, Gothic, heartbreaking and all. My other two were between The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill and A Memory of Light.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Favourite novel of all time, richly rewarding even after multiple reads, and I'd never get fed up of it.

Initially I thought Wuthering Heights as it's one of my favourite books but as it would be my last book ever it makes more sense to go for something that i've never read before so i'd choose Bleak House Charles Dickens.

This might seem a strange choice for someone who is not a Christian, or even religious (I prefer to think of myself as spiritual), but I think I would read The Bible. I am interested in religion for the philosophical debates that it throws up, and would have studied it at school had my parents not talked me out of it. For me it would just be a fascinating if slightly challenging read, and one that would no doubt take half my lifetime anyway !  

Edited by Talisman

This might seem a strange choice for someone who is not a Christian, or even religious (I prefer to think of myself as spiritual), but I think I would read The Bible. I am interested in religion for the philosophical debates that it throws up, and would have studied it at school had my parents not talked me out of it. For me it would just be a fascinating if slightly challenging read, and one that would no doubt take half my lifetime anyway !  

No, it doesn't seem a strange choice at all - in fact it would be very much on my short list, and I'm not a Christian, being atheist.

However, I think it would come down to a choice of two.  If I was limited to fiction, it would probably be Les Miserables.  if I could include non-fiction, it would probably be JM Roberts's The New Penguin History of the World - a huge superbly written book that would take many rereadings to absorb properly.

I love this question. I am just not sure I can narrow it down to one. I think I would say 'Water for Elephants'. I loved that book, taking me into the world of circuses in the depression.

I think I would also like to take the book 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven'. A wonderful book.

So I was browsing Twitter today (as you do!) and popped up upon a questions from the Kobo twitter account. Their Question of the Day was "If you were told you could only read one more book in your lifetime, what would it be?". I think this would be quite a good question to answer. There are tonnes of books in the world and we all have different opinions. I think it would be nice to hear what everyone else suggests.

Mine would probably be Jane Eyre. That's out of a list of about 3 books or so though. Jane Eyre is just a wonderful classic. Romantic, Gothic, heartbreaking and all. My other two were between The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill and A Memory of Light.

The Alchemist - I have never had enough of this book

I've been racking my brains to try and pick just one book, especially as the book that jumps out at me is short and doesn't take me long to read, and I keep thinking I should pick a big doorstop of a book so that it wouldn't be over too quickly and I wouldn't mind going back to the  beginning each time I finished it, but I just can't seem to get past my choice - Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.  I've read it a few times now, and each time I read it, I get something new out of it, and I still feel the same swell of emotion every time.

If we were being deadly serious i'd choose the Qur'an ;  otherwise ,I know it's cheating but I'd have to say the Oxford English Dictionary... I'd get bored reading the same book more than once..