The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn. Very enjoyable :smile:
I liked that too! Though it was a little bit tough at first, since TinTin's originally a Belgian comic and so I'm more used to the original names of the characters (ie. Kuifje). But after a few minutes or so I forgot about it and just enjoyed the film, it was really good. Beautifully animated too.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see Les Misérables this morning. It was good, but so long. It looked great, and the scale is impressive, but it's just so relentless. At one point I was thinking, "please stop singing for just five minutes!" Not sure I'd watch it again though.

Saw Les Mis on Wednesday, wasn't overly keen to go but two friends were going so tagged along, glad to say I did. Was very good, but like you Ches I did want them to just speak for some of it, why do they have to sing everyline. Also I was saying to myself at one point, please end soon! I wouldn't go see it again, once was enough for me.

Last night hubby and I went to see 'Lincoln'. It was excellent. Daniel Dey Lewis was fantastic as President Lincoln. The way he looked, spoke and moved. I can see why he was a great President in his time. I was totally fascinated by what he achieved.

Edited by Inver

Went to see Les Misérables at last .. so emotional, I feel quite ill now. Great performances and fantastic singing. It was long but I knew it would be and so gave myself up to it. Was slightly annoyed that during some really emotional songs (well .. they all were ;)) all I could hear was someone munching on their popcorn. I cried a lot, looked a right fright when I came out .. more than usual I mean. Was impressed by all the performances, it was super, super, loud .. I thought my ears might bleed.

Silver Linings Playbook. Been meaning to watch for a while, and personally thought it was excellent. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were great. Was impressed.

Yesterday we watched Spellbound with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck and today we watched A Family Thing wiith Robert Duval and James Earl Jones.

Both good, I'd seen Spellbound before, but had forgotten some of it.

I'd not seen A Family Thing though....James Earl Jones is fantastic.

Let us know what you think of The Grey....I thought it turned out very differently that I expected.

I watched it last night - it was actually exactly what I expected. Very predictable.

Over the past week, I've watched Marjorie Morningstar, with Gene Kelly (in a dramatic role) and Natalie Wood. Liked it a lot :)

Also The Thomas Crown Affair - the original with Steve McQueen. It does look quite dated now, and the split screen effect was over-used, but nonetheless, McQueen is still one of the most charismatic men ever to appear in films (well, to me anyway). Worth watching.

And finally, The Long Hot Summer with Paul Newman - and he is sizzlingly hot in it!

Watched Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty; the former was amazing, the latter enjoyable with some good performances, but seen as though I'm writing about it alongside Tarantino's it understandably just doesn't hold up.

Went to see Les Misérables at last .. so emotional, I feel quite ill now. Great performances and fantastic singing. It was long but I knew it would be and so gave myself up to it. Was slightly annoyed that during some really emotional songs (well .. they all were ;)) all I could hear was someone munching on their popcorn. I cried a lot, looked a right fright when I came out .. more than usual I mean. Was impressed by all the performances, it was super, super, loud .. I thought my ears might bleed.

Off to see this next week. I saw the stage show years ago, and it was excellent, so I'm looking forward to the film.

Django Unchained! It was brilliant. Classic Tarantino, if you like that sort of thing you won't be disappointed. :D

I like Tarantino. I'm thinking of going to the pictures on Friday as I have the day off - cant decide whether to see Django Unchained, or Flight. Both look terrific.

23 meant to be a tjriller, just stupid, we really should have turned it off. Led to lots of jokes about the number 23 though

Is that the Jim Carrey film? He's usually quite good in dramatic roles; shame if the film itself isn't much cop.

Edited by Ruth

Bright Star. I didn't much like it, maybe I wasn't in the right mood. I mean, it was a costume drama and about poets, and all, so I would've thought it was right up my alley. I didn't like the female lead. Or the character. Paul Schneider who played Brown was superb, no wonder he won some award for the supporting role.

Eventhough I didn't really get into the movie, I had to add letter of John Keats to my wishlist :giggle2:

Oh, it's a shame you didn't like it..,I thought Ben Wishaw was great in this, although I am not overkeen on Abbie Cornish in anything.

Things we Lost in the Fire, it was quite moving. I have always been a fan of Benicio Del Toro and happy to say he didn't disappoint in this.

It's good, isn't it...and how cute was the youngest child?!?! I like Benicio Del Toro as well. :)

I watched most of Towering Inferno this afternoon, and then my Mum rang me to tell me about a news item of interest on another channel. I then forgot about my movie and missed all the best bits. :( (I've seen it before, but still...)

Tonight I watched some movie with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig about the world being infested with something (Invasion?) It was...meh.

The Towering Inferno....I love that film :D Its even got four of my favourite actors in it - William Holden, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and Fred Astaire.

Edited by Ruth

Oh, it's a shame you didn't like it..,I thought Ben Wishaw was great in this, although I am not overkeen on Abbie Cornish in anything.

Ben was good (I had to imdb him, I haven't heard of him before) but in my humble opinion he was nothing compared to Paul Schneider (of whom I haven't heard before, either!). I have to say I didn't like Abbie Cornish either, but I can't say if that was because of the character she played or if I wouldn't like her in general. I think I might've liked the movie far better had I been in the right mood for it, but unfortunately it didn't do much for me when I watched it :(

I've watched a couple of movies since my last post:

Prime which I loved (although I thought the ending was really stupid), the male lead was yummy and there was Meryl Streep!

The Promotion, mostly because Jenna Fischer was in it (The Office :wub:). It was okay.

Yes Man which I'd been thinking about borrowing from the library but which was coincidentally shown on TV. It was a re-watch for me. I think it was this movie where I learnt of Zooey Deschanel in the first place. I liked the movie a lot. But then again, I like Jim Carrey. I'm not so keen on Zooey anymore.

^^^I like Ben Wishaw from The Hour (not sure if that's a programme you can get, but it's BRILLIANT!) :D He is also the new Q in the Bond films, but I've not seen those as I'm not a fan of Bond, or Daniel Craig.

Today I watched The Green Mile, which I last saw when it was in the cinema. I cried. A lot. Brilliant film though, and excellent adaptation of the book.