Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

9780575095823.jpgRed Country - Joe Abercrombie (Audio book - Read by Stephen Pacey)

Synopsis

Their farm destroyed, their friend murdered, their children taken. Shy and Lamb set out on a mission to get their children back and to get their revenge. But they can't do it alone, along the way they get embroiled with lawyers, traders, mayors, missionaries, rebels and Dragons.

Review

This was my first Abercrombie book, it is also his latest, I did not realise that all his books are set in the same world and although this is a stand-alone, I don't know if I would have benefited from reading his previous novels. There are certainly characters from his previous books as well as references to events. Either way it certainly didn't dampen my enjoyment of this fantastic book. The characterisation was second to none, a cast of brilliant, lovable and vivid characters that drove the story forward at the perfect pace. 'Temple' is quite possibly my favourite character of all time now, 'Lamb' and 'Cosca' were also brilliant. Even some minor characters like 'Crying Rock' and 'Sergeant Friendly' are also worth a mention. The characters all feel so human, they are, at times, flawed, evil and scared and the emotions pour out of them.

The light-heartedness of the writing mixed with the dry wit of some of the characters gave the story a brilliant flow and the narration brought it to life. The only criticism I would have is that maybe it was a little predictable in places and some of the action scenes seemed a little familiar as if Abercrombie has watched too many films, but this didn't stop me smiling and laughing as the characters I love were thrust into these ridiculously dangerous situations that they themselves can't believe they are in.

An absolutely brilliant book that left me wanting more Abercrombie straight away.

Overall 9/10

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Pacey's narration and voices were brilliant. I believe he was in Blake 7

Indeed he was :smile:

Started listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Another one I've had sitting on the shelf for a few years :D   I've been holding off reading it as the third book has been on hold for a long time due to Lynch suffering from acute anxiety and depression (I think).  It's six years since the second book was published.  I still have high hopes for this one, so looking forward to hearing what you think.

51czhYe%2BqpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stThe Phoenix Rising - Richard Sanders (Kindle)

Synopsis

As the most serious threat ever facing the galaxy now looms over them—weapons able to destroy stars—Calvin and his enterprising crew continue their mission to expose and eliminate the dark conspiracy that has taken root inside the Empire.

Review

The sequel to The Phoenix Conspiracy which is a Kindle freebie which I read last year when I first got my Kindle. I compared the previous one to a Dan Brown thriller in space, this one is a simple continuation but with less conspiracy and a bit more action.

An exciting no-nonsense thrill ride that moves at a brilliant pace and I enjoyed it all the way. This is the second-part of an ultimate five-part story, but I felt it didn't do much to move the conspiracy story along, it asked a few more questions but didn't answer any, it began and wrapped up a side story.

I am looking forward to reading more of the series.

Overall 8/10

Awesome, it is the only freebie I have been truly impressed by so far. I wrote a short review earlier in this thread.

I started reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. 

I've just read your review - I don't mind Dan Brown. I know he's not the best writer, but his stories keep me intrigued, so hopefully I'll like it. If not, nevermind as it's free! :giggle:

I hope you like Under The Dome. I think it's one of his better ones, especially of his later books.

Awesome :)

Just bought Brave New World by Aldous Huxley as it is only £1.49 on the Kindle! Frequently rated amongst the best Sci-Fi/dystopian books ever.

Oh I have had this book on my wish list for a long time! I can't wait to read your review on it. :D

Not been reading a lot lately, hoping to get back into it this weekend. Still working through Under the Dome.

In other news, the second book of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson has a title: "Words of Radiance" and is due this autumn. I am aiming to read the first book before then!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! You could always read something shorter inbetween, it's a big book indeed.

Off-topic: Can I just ask, I presume when you all say 'reading mojo' you mean your 'reading motivation'? When I looked it up online it gave me meanings like 'charm', which I don't think match the use of the word on this forum.

Off-topic: Can I just ask, I presume when you all say 'reading mojo' you mean your 'reading motivation'? When I looked it up online it gave me meanings like 'charm', which I don't think match the use of the word on this forum.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise my English was going to be scrutinised! :giggle2:

It is used as slang for 'energy' and 'motivation' and 'willingness' But only by the coolest of us :cool: but it is usually for something more physical such as running or dancing. Can also be a euphemism for libido.

It is used as slang for 'energy' and 'motivation' and 'willingness' But only by the coolest of us :cool: but it is usually for something more physical such as running or dancing. Can also be a euphemism for libido.

Thanks!

under-the-dome.jpg Under the Dome - Stephen King

Synopsis

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighbouring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away.

Review

Well, this was nothing short of an epic read. At nearly 350,000 words and 900 pages it's a definite contender for the longest book i've ever read. Despite the size and the completely uninspired cover art I was very much looking forward to reading this, I had heard nothing but good things and I love the concept and I knew it King could pull it off perfectly.

First off, I'd say it's not quite as I was expecting it. Given the subject and my previous King reads (as well as the length) I was expecting a long stint under the dome, where the town is left for months or even years to fend for itself. I was expecting a journey into the human psyche, the lengths people will go with dwindling resources whilst all the world can do is look on in horror. I am guessing this was King's original idea as well, after a quick research into I found out he started writing this 26 years ago and the previous title was 'The Cannibals'.

This wasn't what the book was, only the first chapter remains from the original (which is incredible). The book was more of a social/historical commentary on how power-hungry people can use and manipulate opportunities to seize power and the resistance of the good few. Although not quite what I was expecting it was still brilliant, it didn't feel long or drawn-out, not a word is wasted. Given the situation, the book is completely character driven, which is undoubtedly King's greatest skill, and once again he pulls it off brilliantly. Creating a vast range of lovable and connect-able characters that he is not shy to dispatch at a moments notice. The short chapters allows for a quick jumps between them and helps to set up complex scenes from a multitude of view and thought points.

From horrific and cringing to funny and joyful and everywhere in-between, this book has it all. The only reason this isn't getting a 10 is that I think the story could have been a bit more epic read, all the events occur within a week therefore not giving enough time for the residents to truly believe they are in a horrible situation. It didn't leave me as awestruck as some of King's other epics such as IT and The Stand so I don't feel it should get the same rating.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

furies-of-calderon.jpg Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher

Synopsis

For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water and metal. But now, Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, grows old and lacks an heir. Ambitious Lords manoeuvre to place their Houses in positions of power, and a war of succession looms on the horizon.

Far from city politics in the Calderon Valley, young Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat - return to the Valley, his world will change. Caught in a storm of deadly wind furies, Tavi saves the life of a runaway slave. But Amara is actually a spy, seeking intelligence on possible Marat traitors to the Crown. And when the Valley erupts into chaos - when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies - Amara will find Tavi invaluable. His talents will outweigh any fury-born power - and could even turn the tides of war.

Review

This was my first Butcher novel but from Steve's reviews of the Dresden Files I knew what sort of writing style to expect,  light-hearted, easy-to-read and generally good fun. It was definitely all of those, but without being simplistic.  I really enjoyed the premise, it doesn't go into the details in the book but the idea is that the Ninth Roman Legion whose fate is unknown were taken to the land of Alera where they mated with natives. Now thousands of years later they have gained the natural ability to harness the elements, each with their unique bond. They also live in an uneasy peace with the primitive marat. 

Even though we are only given a small glimpse, it is clear that Butcher has created a vivid and fascinating world that leaves me eager to read more. The only negative thing I can say is that the characters felt a little 2-dimensional, there were no shades of grey, which I didn't really notice until the end. I would expect them to be fleshed out a bit more in the subsequent novels.

A great, enjoyable story that kept me turning page after page and left me wanting more.

Overall 9/10