Charity Shop finds

I tend to get alot of books from charity shops unless there is something i want now and then i will get it from Amazon or maybe Waterstones if it is cheaper on 3 for 2 or no different in price.

My latest bargains are:

The Handmaids tale - Margaret Atwood

Holes - Louis Sachar

One flew over the cuckoos next - Ken Kesey

Narrow dog to Carcassone - Terry Darlington - Which has been recommended to me as any whippet or sight hound owner will love this book.

I love charity shop finds as i am not too precious about them as i tke my books everywhere with me

Well i read the first few pages of Narrow dog and giggled alot, my dad came around picked up the books started reading and laughing, I managed to get it back off him though!!!

What made me laugh is Diggery my lurcher was doing the same with a packet of crisps as Jim was with a packet of pork scratchings and my lurcher is very greyhoundy and fits in with how he describes Jim the Whippet

Looks promising.........

My most recent acquisitions:

Hardbacks of -

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

Byzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead

The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco

Lord of the Dead by Tom Holland

Never Count Out The Dead by Boston Teran

Trade papers of -

The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie (my second copy of this book)

The Deed of Paksenarrion (my second copy of this book)

Urshurak - created by The Brothers Hildebrandt and Jerry Nichols

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Plus mass markets of all three books in Joy Chant's "House of Kendreth" series.

Good thread!

The only book I ever bought at a charity shop, and it cost me a whole 50p, was Celia Brayfield's White Ice. I still couldn't tell you why I bought it. Its about a Russian ballerina, and her next 2 generations after the revolution, but the story was incredible. And again, I can't explain it, but it just captivated me! Worth checking out if ya fancy something a little different.

There's a really good Heart Foundation Bookshop on the corner of the road where my son goes to school, which is bad news for a person who is fighting a losing battle against the quantity of books in a small 2 bedroom flat.

Recent bargains include Year of Wonders, The Soldier's Return, Nightwatch, A Long Long Way, and On Beauty.

It's just too hard to resist. But we have had a massive clear out over Easter, and plan to take a lot of old friends to a car boot sale soon :-(

there no way i shop in british heart foundation too dear. you could go to woolworths or asda and get a brand new book cheeper then what there charge for a book.

British red cross is cheap. you could proplay get about 10 books from red cross for the same price as 1 from british heart foundation.

I don't mind paying 2 or 3 quid for a book I really want to read, and there's a far greater range than the cheapos in Asda or Woolies can offer.

Oh, I love Unless! Wonderful book. And my mum has Human Croquet (also from a charity shop!) and she really enjoyed that... So great finds, V!

loads of the books on the stall i had already read. discussed them with the lady running it. she did say i'd probably like 'unless'

when it comes to kate atkinson though, i have mixed feelings. i loved 'behind the scenes at the museum' (reminded me of my own childhood) but wasn't sure about 'emotionally weird'

we shall see. it'll turn up in my book blog sooner or later :D

We are quite lucky in Preston, we have the PDSA which is great but only have a few books, then across the road we have the Heart Foundation which has more books but can be pricey for the condition. We also have an Oxfam Bookshop and Cancer Research which I frequent as often as possible.

The best part though is a car boot on the open market every Tue and Thur. It's a goldmine for books. :)

Blackpool has a great selection of charity shops too and they're all on the same street.

Blackpool has a great selection of charity shops too and they're all on the same street.

So does Cleveleys, and its amazing how many BOGOF they do (nudge nudge wink wink say no more...lol) well thats what i tell hubby anyway :)

Oooh, is that the one near Bristol? I've been meaning to go there for some time. :)

The very same! :D There are two actually, one that's on the edge of Bristol, and the one I live near is about 12 miles from Bristol in a place called Farrington Gurney. The Bristol one is not so good - it's quite a bit smaller. There are now two barns at Farrington Gurney (and a small coffee shop).

If it's not too far for you, I'd definitely recommend travelling the extra distance to the F.G one.