Bank safety deposit boxes

Lumo

I've always thought that bank safety deposit boxes were a thing from the films that rich people had. However, I've recently read that these are quite common and indeed that most banks will offer one for free with an account or for a small annual fee. I don't know anyone that has one, but it is possible that's just because I've never really talked about, perhaps lots of people have one and I don't know about it?

So, are these really quite common? There is nothing on my banks website about them, and no sign of them in the bank, I'm tempted to go in and ask about one, but have the feeling the person in the bank would be laughing at me for asking. But I wouldn't mind one - a good secure place for important documents I hardly ever need but don't want to loose.

My mum had one to keep her family jewelry in although I don't think she has these days really though it was hardly the heist/Jason Bourne type thing more like a petty cash box which got delivered to her in the bank rather than her visiting a special room and being subjected to a retinal scan. :smile:

Yeah, one day I might ask in the bank when I am in there anyway. Indeed, rather than them bringing a box in a top secure area it was more of a room or area with lots of small sized boxes I was thinking of. Seems quite a good idea for documents and valuables that are seldom needed (not that I have many of those).

I'm a bit wary of safes at home. The neighbours of a friend of mine had a safe which was built into a brick wall of their house. On a weekday afternoon a group of people drove up to the house in a van, broke in, cut the wall out and carried the wall and safe out into the van and drove off. Presumably they managed to open the safe later. Having a safe always seems to me that it indicates that there is something valuable and that it is right there in the safe.

A friend of mine has one for her family jewelery, but I'm not sure where. If not a bank, then I think these storage places where you can store whole house contents etc, must also do them.

I would have one, but the temptation to turn up wearing a trenchcoat and a Trilby pulled low would be too great. I'd probably end up getting arrested for acting suspiciously!