Devi's Lists 2012

Devi

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As most of you know, I ordered Running With Scissors, but another book managed to sneak into my basket...

I also got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? :D

Edited by Devi

As most of you know, I ordered Running With Scissors, but another book managed to sneak into my basket...

Wohoo! :D

I also got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? :D

I haven't read this one, but people keep recommending it. I have it on my TBR though. I shall look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book :)

I haven't read this one, but people keep recommending it. I have it on my TBR though. I shall look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book :)

The name just stuck with me, and the cover of the edition I picked in the end (yes I am fussy when it comes to covers :giggle:), just kept drawing me in, so I had to buy it!

wow what a great haul of books!

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami - this is on my wishlist, I want to read this so much :P

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - this is one of my favourite books of all time, hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Pied Piper - Nevil Shute - I loved this book too!

Oh yeah, I remembered the Geisha info I promised to look up for you. Here it is, as wiki says:

After the Japanese edition of the novel was published, Arthur Golden was sued for breach of contract and defamation of character by Mineko Iwasaki, a retired geisha he had interviewed for background information while writing the novel. The plaintiff asserted that Golden had agreed to protect her anonymity if she told him about her life as a geisha, due to the traditional code of silence about their clients. However, Golden listed Iwasaki as a source in his acknowledgments for the novel, causing her to face a serious backlash, to the point of death threats. In his behalf, Arthur Golden countered that he had tapes of his conversations with Iwasaki. Eventually, in 2003, Golden's publisher settled with Iwasaki out of court for an undisclosed sum of money.

Iwasaki later went on to write her own autobiography, which shows a very different picture of twentieth-century geisha life than the one shown in Golden's novel. The book was published as Geisha, a Life in the U.S. and Geisha of Gion in the U.K.

:)

Thanks guys! I really can't wait to get stuck into these books, it just seems I have lost a little of my mojo lately, between my constant head pain and my drowsiness (due to meds for said head pain).

Thanks for following up on that Frankie, I'm going to add that book to my wish list as well. Sounds like the author could of handled it a bit better, perhaps leaving her name out of the source list, and just said anonymous.

Thanks guys! I really can't wait to get stuck into these books, it just seems I have lost a little of my mojo lately, between my constant head pain and my drowsiness (due to meds for said head pain).

Aww, I hope you feel better soon :empathy:

Thanks for following up on that Frankie, I'm going to add that book to my wish list as well. Sounds like the author could of handled it a bit better, perhaps leaving her name out of the source list, and just said anonymous.

Yeah, I don't know why he went public with her name, when they'd agreed on her anonymity. :rolleyes: I hope you enjoy both books, though! :)

Ah that's a great read. I keep meaning to read more Philip K Dick.

I fell in love with the cover of the edition I picked:

th_a80401f7.jpg

It made me want to read the book even more, so I bumped it up my TBR list.

The books my bf ordered me arrived today! :D :D :D

Even though I knew what was in there, I was still like a kid on christmas morning :)

Edited by Devi

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Devi! Where you been at, I haven't seen you in a long time, but now you're here again! :friends3:

Please, tell us, which book did your boyfriend get you? I'm dying of curiosity :smile2:

Hey Frankie!

I'm sorry I only just saw this post :(

I have been fighting with my sleeping, been going from barly sleeping 2 hours to sleeping 15 hours, so I have been dipping in and out of the forum.

He got me ICO, a book by a Japanese author that was a game originally.

Edited by Devi

Welcome back Devi. Hope you are sleeping better now.

Thanks VF! Still sorting out my sleep, thanks for asking. :)

I missed this place.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain a couple of days back, and I have been mulling over the story since.

A couple of things niggled at me, as I said in the other thread, I am a big racing nut but I felt that the racing talk sometimes dragged on a little. I felt like I wanted to skim past those parts so I could get on with the main story. I still loved every bit of it though. I couldn't believe the grandparents and what they tried to do. I have to say, it might of been obvious to some, but I didn't see it coming until the passing.

I loved Enzo as he really reminded very much of my dog, and also made me wonder what dogs might actually be barking at us sometimes. :giggle:

5 paws up!

I just wanted to share a paragraph or three from the current book I am reading:

"Quantum physics tell us that we shouldn't think of time as being linear. It doesn't have a beginning and an end and doesn't travel in a straight line.

Time is infinite and does not travel in a straight line. Like many things in nature, it wanders and branches out in several directions and maybe even double backs on itself. There's almost nothing in nature that is perfectly straight.

Trees grow upward in every direction to absorb light and rivers flow downhill following the path of least resistance.

Quantum physics says time is the same. There are several theories that suggest time either branches out in several directions at once or flows like a river wandering through the universe."

It's really stuck with me and I wanted to share it with you all.

Edited by Devi

I just wanted to share a paragraph or three from the current book I am reading:

"Quantum physics tell us that we shouldn't think of time as being linear. It doesn't have a beginning and an end and doesn't travel in a straight line.

Time is infinite and does not travel in a straight line. Like many things in nature, it wanders and branches out in several directions and maybe even double backs on itself. There's almost nothing in nature that is perfectly straight.

Trees grow upward in every direction to absorb light and rivers flow downhill following the path of least resistance.

Quantum physics says time is the same. There are several theories that suggest time either branches out in several directions at once or flows like a river wandering through the universe."

It's really stuck with me and I wanted to share it with you all.

I think that's a lovely idea :)

• 1 month later...

I got five books from a family friend!

White Ghosts - Will Rhode

Memory in Death - J.D. Robb

Servant of the Bones - Anne Rice

Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz

Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz

I don't know any of these authors except for Anne Rice. Anyone know if they are any good?

The friend isn't a fan of Dean Koontz.

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on my current read Catch 22

Only 4 chapters in and I find the main character Yossarian a tad irritating so far, I don't know if this was the authors intention (my gut says it is), so I'll keep on reading it for now.

Edited by Devi