Devi's Lists 2012

Devi

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add, the best part is I got them all for $10 Aus, not sure how much that is in pounds.

<<glows with pride>>

I must be getting some sort of reputation on this board :lol:

Let me know when you're going to start Eye of the World, Devi - I might read it at the same time :smile: Lord knows I should - it's been on my TBR pile for over 10 years :lol:

Have you read Hyperion?

<<glows with pride>>

I must be getting some sort of reputation on this board :lol:

Let me know when you're going to start Eye of the World, Devi - I might read it at the same time :smile: Lord knows I should - it's been on my TBR pile for over 10 years :lol:

Have you read Hyperion?

No, I'm still trying to find a copy! I did look for it today though, instead I came across the sequal. I got lucky with my selection I think, I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to have another look at what I can find.

They are only open three days a week fri - sun and its only open for 4hrs at a time, all volunteers too.

Well I can't say that I have read any of those or have any of them on TBR :D But a great haul anyways, and a real bargain, too! :smile2:

Next time I visit, I will go to the fiction sections first!

Edited by Devi

Next time I visit, I will go to the fiction sections first!

No no no. What you should be saying is "Frankie, you should spend more time in the sf/fantasy section" ;):giggle2:

No no no. What you should be saying is "Frankie, you should spend more time in the sf/fantasy section" ;):giggle2:

we all know I will be pulled to the section by some fantasy magnetic force in the end :giggle:

The last time I went to a bookshop that's all I did!! :D

Good on you, Devi, for choosing to spend more time in the normal books section :giggle:

The last time I went to a bookshop that's all I did!! :D

Weirdo :P:giggle2:

Good on you, Devi, for choosing to spend more time in the normal books section :giggle:

<<studiously ignores inflammatory comment>>

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a rather large haul of books today, and some yesterday from various places!

I bought from one of my book haunts:

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

There was some tables selling cheap books at the front of the same place where I bought the above book:

The Forger - Cioma Schonhaus ~ non fiction

Red Moon Rising - MAtthew Brzezinski ~ non fiction

Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin ~ fiction

Smoked - Patrick Quinnlan ~ fiction

I then went to another of my haunts:

Force 10 from Navarone - Alistair Maclean

Dead Famous - Ben Elton

Cabal - Clive Barker

I went to another of my haunts and purchased the following:

The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule

Heretic - Bernard Cornwell

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Hiroshima - John Hersey

The Gray Prince - Jack Vance

The Brave Free Men - Jack Vance

Lastly, I got a nice surprise when my boyfriend told me I have some books on the way, he wanted to surprise me with the box, but I kind of spoilt that when I went on my shopping spree :blush::giggle:

So in the event of me doing a double purchase, he told me what he had bought:

Pompeii - Robert Harris

On the Beach - Nevil Shute

Pied Piper - Nevil Shute

Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay

A Song for Arbonne - Guy Gavriel Key

Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

Weaveworld - Clive Barker

A Gift Upon The Shore - M. K. Wren

He must of snuck a look at my full list, as these weren't listed in the "books as gifts" list.

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

I'm jealous! :cool:

The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule

Yay! :D Oh dear, should I really get so excited you got a book on a notorious serial killer? Sounds so weird :D

I have this on my TBR as well. Some members on here have read it and really loved it. I think lauraloves is a die hard fan, at least :D

Pied Piper - Nevil Shute

I really loved this book, I hope you do, too! :)

Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

This one's also great :)

Lastly, I got a nice surprise when my boyfriend told me I have some books on the way, he wanted to surprise me with the box, but I kind of spoilt that when I went on my shopping spree

Awwwww, that is so sweet! :smile2: Does he have brothers? ;):giggle:

He must of snuck a look at my full list, as these weren't listed in the "books as gifts" list.

That shows that he went the extra mile for you! Sigh :wub:

Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin ~ fiction

I really enjoyed Elsewhere last year and have just this week bought her latest book, All These Things I've Done. Memoirs of a Geisha is a fabulous book, I really must re read it some day! :)

Blimey! :o:lol:

That's what I thought once I saw them altogether :giggle:

Great haul, Devi! How nice of your boyfriend to buy you all those books! :)

Thanks! I am quite pleased with what I got, most were on my lists too. I know, but he is naughty, we are meant to be saving up for a holiday :giggle:

Wow... Devi that's quite a haul they should keep you busy for a while :coffee1:

Hoping so! I'm usually a pretty fast reader, and I intend to do most of my reading during winter! I don't go out much during this time.

I really enjoyed Elsewhere last year and have just this week bought her latest book, All These Things I've Done. Memoirs of a Geisha is a fabulous book, I really must re read it some day! :)

I've seen the movie of memoirs of a Geisha, and I had wanted to get the book for ages. Someone had finally had given it to my local bookbarn so I snapped it up. I am so excited at the thought of reading it, I think it may be in my top five to read.

I should mention the 2nd and 3rd pile were bought in deals, one was 4 for $10 and the other 3 for $10. The 4th was whatever you could fit in a bag for $10 at my local bookbarn, they are running out of shelf space so had special deals going on this weekend. I know I shouldn't but I am tempted to go back today and continue looking in the fiction section. :blush:

Yay! :D Oh dear, should I really get so excited you got a book on a notorious serial killer? Sounds so weird :D

I know! It does sound wierd to me sometimes too. "Hey, have you read this great book about a serial killer?!" :giggle: I find anything to do with the mind etc, all fascinating and interesting though!

I have this on my TBR as well. Some members on here have read it and really loved it. I think lauraloves is a die hard fan, at least :D

I have been looking out for a copy of memoirs of a Geisha for awhile now, and when we saw someone had given it to the bookbarn yesterday, I snapped it up! Its probably in my top five to read list at the moment (there I go with the lists again.)

I really loved this book, I hope you do, too! :)

Oh I have read pied piper, I read it along with you guys and gals here. My thoughts are in the reading group section. I loved it so much though that I wanted to have my very own copy.

This one's also great :)

Yeah I have always wanted to read his books, but never got around to it. I am very thankful my bf decided to add the two books of his on my list, to the ones he bought.

Awwwww, that is so sweet! :smile2: Does he have brothers? ;):giggle:

Hehe, no he is an only child, he always wanted a brother or sister growing up though. I grew up in a big family, so I tell him he isn't missing much! I wouldn't change it for the world though, and we have always jokingly said, if we have kids, we are having two!

That shows that he went the extra mile for you! Sigh :wub:

Yeah, but he is naughty though! We are meant to be saving up for a holiday.

I should mention the 2nd and 3rd pile were bought in deals, one was 4 for $10 and the other 3 for $10. The 4th was whatever you could fit in a bag for $10 at my local bookbarn, they are running out of shelf space so had special deals going on this weekend. I know I shouldn't but I am tempted to go back today and continue looking in the fiction section. :blush:

How could you resist the temptation of a book barn specials deal weekend? :D

I know! It does sound wierd to me sometimes too. "Hey, have you read this great book about a serial killer?!" :giggle: I find anything to do with the mind etc, all fascinating and interesting though!

I agree. It's disturbing, but really interesting. Just not something one should mention on a first day, for example, though :giggle:

I have been looking out for a copy of memoirs of a Geisha for awhile now, and when we saw someone had given it to the bookbarn yesterday, I snapped it up! Its probably in my top five to read list at the moment (there I go with the lists again.)

Did you know that the woman the book was based on wasn't very happy about how the story was told and has written a book on it herself? I can't remember her name of the title though. I'm sure some people on here have read it and liked it, too. It might be interesting to read them both consecutively and do some contrast+comparing.

Oh I have read pied piper, I read it along with you guys and gals here. My thoughts are in the reading group section. I loved it so much though that I wanted to have my very own copy.

Oh sorry, I'd forgotten you've already read it! But I agree, I loved the book so much that I also want to have my own copy, too. Definitely re-reading material! :)

Hehe, no he is an only child, he always wanted a brother or sister growing up though. I grew up in a big family, so I tell him he isn't missing much! I wouldn't change it for the world though, and we have always jokingly said, if we have kids, we are having two!

Oh that's too bad. Well, it would be a long distance, too ... :D So maybe it's for the better! But I assume he's made great sisters and brothers (in law) with your family? :)

Yeah, but he is naughty though! We are meant to be saving up for a holiday.

Oh but you must understand, you need to have a book or two (or loads) with you on the holiday. So he was really investing in it, you see :giggle2:

How could you resist the temptation of a book barn specials deal weekend? :D

Exactly! A unplanned one at that. I was actually asked if I would like to volunteer once a month for two hours. I was told volunteers often get first pick of the books that come in, and we can borrow them to read (this encourages people to volunteer). We can also buy them if we wish to keep them too.

I agree. It's disturbing, but really interesting. Just not something one should mention on a first day, for example, though :giggle:

Agreed!

Did you know that the woman the book was based on wasn't very happy about how the story was told and has written a book on it herself? I can't remember her name of the title though. I'm sure some people on here have read it and liked it, too. It might be interesting to read them both consecutively and do some contrast+comparing.

No I didn't! I would love to know what title it is, I would be curious to read it and compare as you say. I wonder what it was exactly she wasn't happy with?

Oh sorry, I'd forgotten you've already read it! But I agree, I loved the book so much that I also want to have my own copy, too. Definitely re-reading material! :)

That's ok. I fell in love with the old red leather bound copy I had borrowed from the library, I even asked if I could buy it from them. No luck :(

Oh that's too bad. Well, it would be a long distance, too ... :D So maybe it's for the better! But I assume he's made great sisters and brothers (in law) with your family? :)

Haha, we're not quite that far ahead yet. Three years September 12th this year. :D We are currently talking the 'moving in' phase.

Oh but you must understand, you need to have a book or two (or loads) with you on the holiday. So he was really investing in it, you see :giggle2:

Well.... I suppose I can forgive him this time ;):giggle:

Hmm, to buy running with scissors or not to buy....

It's currently on special on BD!

I don't know what to do :unsure:

Exactly! A unplanned one at that. I was actually asked if I would like to volunteer once a month for two hours. I was told volunteers often get first pick of the books that come in, and we can borrow them to read (this encourages people to volunteer). We can also buy them if we wish to keep them too.

What a nice bookbarn, I'd love to volunteer in a place like that! Do you think you will do it? :)

No I didn't! I would love to know what title it is, I would be curious to read it and compare as you say. I wonder what it was exactly she wasn't happy with?

I have to confess I can't really remember what the whole deal was. I will do a bit of investigating and see if I can find the title for you!

That's ok. I fell in love with the old red leather bound copy I had borrowed from the library, I even asked if I could buy it from them. No luck :(

That would have been a long shot, but one can always try! :empathy:

Well.... I suppose I can forgive him this time ;):giggle:

You bloody well should :lol:

Hmm, to buy running with scissors or not to buy....

It's currently on special on BD!

I don't know what to do :unsure:

Buy it, buy it!! I loved it. Burroughs is one of my favorite authors. But I think it's one of those books which you either love or hate. Oh but you read true crime, you can deal with disturbing things, you could totally read the book and not flinch. Not that much anyway :giggle: It's written in such a fun way that it's sometimes hard to remember it's all happened and it's not so nice.

Buy it ;)