Can't cook, won't cook

Weave

Hello there,

How are you ALL doing?

I have been avoiding this part of the forum because, well, I really can't cook, which is really embarrassing, because my Dad was a chef and my sister and two brothers are chefs, I think the cooking gene missed me by miles, **whispers 'I burn water' ****

So, my question, can't cook, won't cook, for all those members who are in the same league as me (not a culinary bone in their body), what can you make? are you proud of it?

Mines is...

I can make a mean beans on toast :blush:

I'm not very good either. :lol: I usually just stick to reasonably easy meals that I can't stuff up (simple stirfries, egg baps, or a pasta dish). My mum is a fantastic cook; she can make any kind of meal, out of any ingredients she has on hand. She's very creative - she knows what goes with what. The two times I have tried to be creative, my partner has rejected my meals. :) :) Can't say I blame him, though. :blush:

I'm trying to do better though, by using those packet mixes (ie. the ones that tell you on the back what ingredients to use, and how to prepare it, and all you have to do is add the contents of the packet.) Still....it's definitely a learning experience. :lol:

Hey, beans on toast is scrummy! :D

My Mam once managed to burn lime jelly, so it was odds on I wouldn't be an excellent cook. My sister and her husband are both trained chefs (although neither one of them works in the business) and I never cooked a thing till I was in my second year at college, and even then, it was stuff like beans on toast. When I moved back to Kirkcaldy in 1998, I had to learn to cook or starve. I just started simple with basic pasta dishes and soups and then expanded by repertoire as I grew more confident. I can now do a delicious roast with all the trimmings, but I'm useless at baking.

I can pretty much do a cake from a packet mix, but my pastry turns out like cardboard 99% of the time and making a cake from scratch is something that I've not yet mastered, although I'm determined to get it right one of these days!

It's all down to practice, really.

During cookery lessons at school I learnt how to make Lasagne. If my mum was working on a Saturday I used to help out by making tea and always made my trusty lasagne. A few years later I moved to Germany to become an au pair for a German family. They asked me to cook something 'English' and at that point I realised the only thing I could make was Lasagne. A quick phone call home soon remedied that - my mum popped some recipe books with 'English' food in, in the post. Soon I was making Shepherd's Pie (a bit hit), scones and on the father's birthday I made roast beef (for nine!) - it was my first roast ever! It was quite successful apart from the yorkshire puddings - they didn't have the right tin and so I tried to cook it in a pyrex dish - it just didn't cook - it was white and congealed - and the family insisted on eating it!!! As my husband (then fiance) was in the army I was able to get all the ingrediants like a beef joint, horseradish sauce etc from the NAAFI.

At least we are all trying, I can make a lovely pasta, which Mr Gyre seems to enjoy but I really need to be motivated x

I'm not a bad cook, but I don't have a passion for it like some people. Although I love cooking Christmas dinner or a Sunday roast with all the trimmings. Hubby is a great cook when he can be bothered! He does a mean 'full monty'.

I think the hardest thing with cooking is trying to come up with an idea for tea every day - has to be to everyone's taste and fit it with the comings and goings of the family.

So, my question, can't cook, won't cook, for all those members who are in the same league as me (not a culinary bone in their body), what can you make? are you proud of it?

:blush:

I know this road.

I know every pizza joint, fish and chips place, hot dog palace, take-out chinese, thai restaurants (and their beers) and steak houses in my area.

I have to challenge myself to fend for myself and cook something decent because; indeed, it's just for me. I'm a lonesome soul.

I'm proud of four of my abilities, that's it:

I can make a good pot roast will several variations.

I can make an appetizer of stuffed mushrooms.

I can make a crockpot of ham and beans, which is awesome.

I can make my OWN recipe of beef enchiladas that will leave you sated and clicking the remote on the TV for three hours, non-stop.

I'd love to try baking or cooking fish, but it scares me.

I've done some candy things by melting chocolate bark and dipping pretzels and chips and strawberries.

And really ... anyone can cook a steak or a hamburger...

And ... I've made myself sick with my cooking. Blowing groceries two hours later wondering what-the-hell I did wrong with the baked chicken; it didn't taste THAT bad!

I think the hardest thing with cooking is trying to come up with an idea for tea every day - has to be to everyone's taste and fit it with the comings and goings of the family.

Its the ideas that finish me off.

I have Norah's dinners from the Jamie Oliver series and that has helped but ......

I have three, one won't eat rice, the other mash and the other pasta. So one is always hungrier than the others! (or I cook different things which I object to on principle)

After college, I became an expert at what my Mam calls "mish-mash" cooking - I can pretty much take whatever is in the cupboards and make a pretty decent meal out of it. My corn beef hash is to die for!

I can't do the basics like tea! :blush:

At school I have made:

Hot Baguettes

Yule Log

Pizza

Shortbread

Rock Buns

Butterfly cakes.

I have also been known to help with the roast dinners. Just ask Angel!

After college, I became an expert at what my Mam calls "mish-mash" cooking - I can pretty much take whatever is in the cupboards and make a pretty decent meal out of it. My corn beef hash is to die for!

I often have "mish-mash" meals, especially towards pay day! And i also find that they are some of the best meals i cook!!! :blush:

Its the ideas that finish me off.

I have Norah's dinners from the Jamie Oliver series and that has helped but ......

I have three, one won't eat rice, the other mash and the other pasta. So one is always hungrier than the others! (or I cook different things which I object to on principle)

Sounds like my house - my girls like different food too, although I suspect the youngest turns her nose up to wind me up because she often eats it when there's no choice.

I've loads of cook books - I'm a big fan of Jamie's recipes. As much as I complain about family being hard to please the other day I was on my own for tea and felt completely lost and ended up just making beans on toast!

My eldest daughter is making Mexican tomorrow which is great as I'm in the library 5-6pm so it'll be ready when I get home - hooray!!!

Mine have gone through phases of being keen to cook - when they were about 10 it was a treat for them to be allowed to make a meal - quiche was always a favourite. Then it was deemed 'uncool' but now my eldest has rediscovered it - wonderful. They both bake quite a bit which is nice.

Robbie is at that age where he likes to cook as well (brilliant!)

I decided to teach him the basics so if i was ever ill he would be able to make his dinner - his favourite dish to cook is sausages, pasta and cheese!!

Oh and he makes a mean cup of tea! :blush:

My husband was away with the army a lot so I encouraged my girls to be independent - I always felt vunerable about being 'out of action' through illness - on one occasion when I was ill they sorted themselves out with tea and locked up the house, putting the chain on the door, closing curtains etc before going to bed.

I think 10/11 is a really nice age they're getting independent but still easily pleased and willing to help.

That's exactly how i feel Judy, when I was poorly a month or so ago Robbie was completely independant, including ringing up a friends Mum to ask if she could take him to school!

Sorry for going off subject.....