Educating Ben

Ben

Although you probably already have enough movies to keep you busy for quite some time, I (movie-addict as I am) would like to add a few more great movies :smile:

- Double jeopardy

- Don't say a word

- Phone booth

- Panic room

- Flightplan

- Disturbia

- Hostage

- The uninvited

- Déjà vu

These are all thrillers and, in my opinion, really worth watching :smile:

I also really like the Big Bang theory and I could recommend How I met your mother as well. I always find it enjoyable to watch these series :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wanted to watch Pan's Labyrinth for a while but never got round to it. I couldn't work out what kind of film it actually was though, is it scary or more like a children's story?

If we're recommending musicals I recommend Oliver! (although the chances you haven't seen it are probably low :smile: )

And what about Disney films? I personally love Finding Nemo when I need cheering up :D

I've wanted to watch Pan's Labyrinth for a while but never got round to it. I couldn't work out what kind of film it actually was though, is it scary or more like a children's story?

Definitely not a children's story. The basic premise is about a little girl called Ophelia who goes to live at a military outpost when her mother remarries - and she's so unhappy in her new home that she starts to live in a fantasy world as a way of escaping. I guess it can be quite scary in places, but it's a marvellous film.

Watched a couple of films recently, but unfortunately it seems none of them were on the lists I've been given. I would have watched films that you had recommended but it wasn't my choice unfortunately. :(

In any case, I watched American Psycho which was a very weird, dark film, but it was also very clever and I often enjoy films like that (where you actually have to think about what you're watching). Christian Bale was great in it, but that wasn't a surprise as he's always great. I've also somewhat incredulously seen him in another four films - Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Public Enemies and The Fighter.

I also watched The Beach with Leonardo Dicaprio, which was very good. Basically, if you haven't seen it, Richard (Dicaprio) meets a crazy man named Daffy (Robert Carlyle) who rants about a secret island away from civilization - a paradise. He then dies and leaves Richard a map. Richard sets off on an adventure with a girl he likes and her boyfriend, and they eventually get more than they bargained for. It was a great film, Robert Carlyle acted great although he's only in it for a short while, and the others did too.

Lastly, I watched Green Street which probably wouldn't appeal to people unless they enjoy football. I thought I'd hate it because it's all about violence and gangs of football hooligans but I actually enjoyed it. Not for the violence itself but it was interesting to see the main character Elijah Wood develop as a character throughout the film.

Anyway, back to the list of films you lovely people have given me - I'll be on it soon.

If we're recommending musicals I recommend Oliver! (although the chances you haven't seen it are probably low :smile: )

And what about Disney films? I personally love Finding Nemo when I need cheering up :D

Not actually a big fan of musicals but I'll give some a shot I suppose. :lol: I haven't seen Oliver! though. :blush:

Yes! I'd probably just give up if I hadn't seen Finding Nemo - it's great. :D

Edited by Ben

I loved both the book and the film of American Psycho. Unfortunately, the dark humour appealed to me so much that I got some very odd looks when reading it at work and laughing out loud at some of the funniest bits. Most people don't seem to realise it's got pitch-black humour, so to see the very mild-manered CE's secretary laughing out loud at a book about a psycho serial killer made people think I was perhaps a bit of a psycho myself - ROFLMAO! ;)

Ben, The Beach was a book first, in case you weren't aware, and it's supposed to be very, very good. I've had it on my TBR pile for so long it isn't funny. I'm not sure if the movie was very critically acclaimed, but I've always liked it, even if it's a bit disturbing. The scenery and music make up for that, though. :)

Some more suggestions - these are the ones that will make you think:

Life is Beautiful

American Beauty

What Dreams Will Come

The Colour Purple

Rain Man

Sophie's Choice

Kramer versus Kramer

Dead Man Walking

Dogma

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Matrix (plus its follow ups)

Schindlers List

Star Wars

The Sixth Sense

The Shawshank Redemption

The Truman Show

I loved both the book and the film of American Psycho. Unfortunately, the dark humour appealed to me so much that I got some very odd looks when reading it at work and laughing out loud at some of the funniest bits. Most people don't seem to realise it's got pitch-black humour, so to see the very mild-manered CE's secretary laughing out loud at a book about a psycho serial killer made people think I was perhaps a bit of a psycho myself - ROFLMAO! ;)

*Is unsure whether I'm allowed to reply to this post.* :lol: I'll risk it eh. Haha, that's brilliant - in fairness I was laughing at quite a lot of the film also. It doesn't seem like you're supposed to, but some of the deaths were so over the top I couldn't help myself (particularly the chain saw scene). I can see where your coming from then, but maybe there's a time and place for laughing at a psycho serial killer. :lol:

Ben, The Beach was a book first, in case you weren't aware, and it's supposed to be very, very good. I've had it on my TBR pile for so long it isn't funny. I'm not sure if the movie was very critically acclaimed, but I've always liked it, even if it's a bit disturbing. The scenery and music make up for that, though. :)

I actually noticed this as I wrote the post above because I was looking for the actor who played the really crazy drugged up guy (Robert Carlyle). I might add it to the wishlist actually, I can imagine it would be a good read. But yeah, I enjoyed the film very much so. :smile2:

Some more suggestions - these are the ones that will make you think:

Life is Beautiful

American Beauty

What Dreams Will Come

The Colour Purple

Rain Man

Sophie's Choice

Kramer versus Kramer

Dead Man Walking

Dogma

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Matrix (plus its follow ups)

Schindlers List

Star Wars

The Sixth Sense

The Shawshank Redemption

The Truman Show

*Ticks off The Shawshank Redemption (my favourite film ever, see OP), The Truman Show, the first Matrix film, Schindlers List (although I do need to watch it again, actually), and Rain Man (absolutely fantastic film). As for the rest, Star Wars is literally top of my list, I just need to get hold of them. And thanks for the other recommendations. :smile2:

As for the rest, Star Wars is literally top of my list, I just need to get hold of them.

The word 'them' in that sentence worries me greatly :lol:

Please, please, please only watch the original trilogy (that's A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi). Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are dire beyond belief.

Ugh, I hate even calling the original film 'A New Hope'. It was just called Star Wars when I was a kid. And yes, I have issues with this :giggle2:

Ben, I hope and pray that you can get hold of the original versions, the ones that existed before George Lucas went and ruined them. If you can't, let me know and I'll sort them out for you.

Ugh, I hate even calling the original film 'A New Hope'. It was just called Star Wars when I was a kid. And yes, I have issues with this :giggle2:

Hehe. I'm currently reading Simon Pegg's autobiography, and he mentions A New Hope 'as it eventually and somewhat irritatingly became known'. :)

My favourite films are (in no particular order):

Singin' In The Rain (1952)**

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Easy Virtue (2008)

Roman Holiday (1953)

The African Queen (1951)

Anchors Aweigh (1945)**

The Pirate (1948)**

Moonstruck (1987)

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

The Bishop's Wife (1947)

Barefoot In The Park (1967)

**These are musicals, so if you're not into musicals, you might want to give them a miss. Although it is my firm opinion that everyone should see Singin' In The Rain :) . Oh, and Casablanca. And Cool Hand Luke.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Edited by Ruth

Hehe. I'm currently reading Simon Pegg's autobiography, and he mentions A New Hope 'as it eventually and somewhat irritatingly became known'. :)

Glad it's not just me! :lol:

Anchors Aweigh (1945)**

And Cool Hand Luke.

All brilliant :cool:

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate." :smile:

The word 'them' in that sentence worries me greatly :lol:

Please, please, please only watch the original trilogy (that's A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi). Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are dire beyond belief.

Ben, I hope and pray that you can get hold of the original versions, the ones that existed before George Lucas went and ruined them. If you can't, let me know and I'll sort them out for you.

Haha, by them I meant the original three don't you worry about that. I've been told they're the only ones worth watching and the three that proceed that (or follow on from) depending on which way you look at it, are not on my list. :lol:

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Easy Virtue (2008)

Roman Holiday (1953)

The African Queen (1951)

Anchors Aweigh (1945)**

The Pirate (1948)**

Moonstruck (1987)

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

The Bishop's Wife (1947)

Barefoot In The Park (1967)

**These are musicals, so if you're not into musicals, you might want to give them a miss. Although it is my firm opinion that everyone should see Singin' In The Rain :) . Oh, and Casablanca. And Cool Hand Luke.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Oh dear I haven't seen any of them - not so sure about all these musicals but I will check a few out just because you lovely people wouldn't recommend them if you didn't think they were brilliant. Thanks for the rest of the recommendations too, Ruth. :smile2:

Haha, by them I meant the original three don't you worry about that. I've been told they're the only ones worth watching and the three that proceed that (or follow on from) depending on which way you look at it, are not on my list. :lol:

Good job, too! :lol:

This is the one you want if you can find it cheap or rent it - it's got the original theatrical only-one-that-should-be-allowed version included along with the horrible Lucas-ified cgi'd-up-the-wazoo version:

http://www.amazon.co...7423143&sr=1-12

I thought the book had some really funny moments as well. I remember sitting in the hairdressers reading it and sniggering away to myself (or so I thought), and when I looked up, a couple of the other customers were giving me very odd looks. The film was pretty good too. Christian Bale was perfect in the part, but they left so much out of the book. Mind you, I guess they had no choice really; there were quite a lot of scenes in the book that could never have been put into a film for general release.

Ruth has incredible taste! Watch them all, Ben ;)

At a quick glance, I would also add to her list Now, Voyager (for the awesome Bette Davis) and The Philedelphia Story (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and James Stewart - it just doesn't get better than that in my opinion).

Ruth has incredible taste! Watch them all, Ben ;)

At a quick glance, I would also add to her list Now, Voyager (for the awesome Bette Davis) and The Philedelphia Story (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and James Stewart - it just doesn't get better than that in my opinion).

Aw, thank you :)

I've actually never seen Now, Voyager, although it's been on my to-watch list forever. Agree about The Philadelphia Story though - brilliant!

Aw, thank you :)

I've actually never seen Now, Voyager, although it's been on my to-watch list forever. Agree about The Philadelphia Story though - brilliant!

You MUST, MUST, MUST see Now, Voyager. I actually saw it at the cinema for the first time when it was re-issued on a special BFI promotion about 20 years ago, and it blew me away, and it stands up to repeated viewing too. An absolute joy.

Now, Voyager comes around on TCM every so often. I'll make sure to watch it next time it's on :)

Oh, I forgot to say another great film is It Happened One Night, with Clark Gable (*sigh*) and Claudette Colbert. Very very funny and sweet. Gone With The Wind is great as well, and pretty (but not totally) faithful to the book. It's long though - you'll need a whole evening set aside for it!

Edited by Ruth

Great suggestions, you guys! You have your work cut out for you, Ben :giggle:.

I'll add the following to your ever-growing list:

1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Jimmy Stewart masterpiece

2. Snatch - Best Guy Richie film IMO

3. Grosse Pointe Blank - Hilarious John Cusack/Minnie Driver, dark-ish comedy

4. Waiting for Guffman - In my top 10 and one of the funniest movies out there

5. Lars and the Real Girl - A very sweet little film

6. Run Lola Run - German brilliance!

7. In Bruges - Great dark comedy with Colin Farrell (sp?)

8. The Spanish Prisoner - Wonderful little David Mamet film with Campbell Scott and Steve Martin

9. Winslow Boy - Love this one so much and you can't go wrong with Jeremy Northam and Nigel Hawthorne!

10. Stand By Me - Also in my top 10 and perfection from Rob Reiner (originally a Steven King short story)

11. Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Hilarious musical

12. Office Space - A very quoteable comedy

13. Bottle Rocket - Wes Anderson's first and best film (my #1 fave of all time)

14. Arsenic and Old Lace - Terrific old Cary Grant film!

15. The Secret of Roan Inish - A lovely Irish film surrounding the legend of the Selkies

16. Fantastic Mr. Fox - A Wes Anderson stop-motion film with George Clooney

17. The Fighter - IMO one of the top films of last year with Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg

18. Get Low - The most overlooked film from 2010 which should've been Oscar's best picture last year

19. The Straight Story - True story with Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek- Very touching!

20. The Sting - Classic Paul Newman and Robert Redford- you can't go wrong

Just a couple of films that have already been mentioned which I think you REALLY need to see soon and often are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Zodiac.

:D

Thanks Peace, some more great suggestions to add to the list. :friends3:

I ticked one off said list tonight, and if I remember rightly it was one of Kell's suggestions. Tonight I watched Reservoir Dogs and wow, it was absolutely fantastic. I loved the idea behind it, the acting was brilliant, and although not a lot seems to actually happen, the dialogue is just brilliant. Think I'll write up some more proper thoughts on it soon but for the minute there's no denying it's great! :smile2:

Edited by Ben

11. Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Hilarious musical

This is actually my all-time favourite musical!!! :) It is so totally rockin' and I love it wieh I hear of someone else who has even seen it, let alone loved it! :)