Ruth's reading in 2012

Ruth

I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith

0099845008.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cassandra Mortmain, the narrator of this story, lives in a crumbling old castle with her beautiful but self-centred sister Rose, her younger brother Thomas, her remote (and frankly very unlikeable) father, her eccentric but hugely likeable stepmother Topaz, and Stephen, a young man who lives with the family and looks after the castle for them. They are penniless, and often struggle even to eat half-decent meals; all their decent furniture has been sold, and things don’t look likely to get any better. Nonetheless, they somehow rub along together and seem happy enough. Their quiet little life changes completely with the arrival of American brothers Simon and Neil – suddenly there seems to be a way out of poverty, but things are never quite as simple as they appear. And everything that happens is faithfully recorded by Cassandra in her journal, which forms this novel.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I really really enjoyed the first half, and thought that it may well turn into an all-time favourite. Cassandra was witty and funny – clearly an intelligent narrator, but still charmingly naive. The way she described certain events made me laugh out loud, and it was very easy to picture what she was writing about. In the second half of the book, things took a slightly more angst turn. I’m not about to give away any spoilers, but suffice to say that Cassandra went through a lot of emotions, and all of them are described here – sometimes it felt like they were described time and time again! At this point, the humour took something of a back seat.

The characters were all very well depicted, and for the most part were likeable. Certainly Cassandra herself was very endearing, and I also warmed to Topaz and Thomas. However, the father of the house was not just remote with his family, but sometimes downright horrible to them – I desperately wanted his wife Topaz to kick him into touch, but sadly most of his behaviour was tolerated – almost to the point of encouragement – by his family.

What is worth mentioning though is the ending. Without telling what happens, I will say that I thought I knew exactly where this book was going, and when I did reach the end, I was genuinely surprised, and very pleased as the ending I had imagined was not one I would have liked.

Overall, I would say that there is plenty to enjoy here, but most of the giggles are definitely to be found in the first half of the book. I’m not sure I would ever read it again, but I’m certainly not disappointed that I picked it up in the first place.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ruth :006: I'd definitely put I Capture The Castle in my top 5 , Cassandra was my favourite character & i cried laughing at the whole fur coat escaped bear fiasco at the train station . Glad you enjoyed most of it :smile:

Hi Ruth :006: I'd definitely put I Capture The Castle in my top 5 , Cassandra was my favourite character & i cried laughing at the whole fur coat escaped bear fiasco at the train station . Glad you enjoyed most of it :smile:

:D That was my favourite part - brilliant comic writing!

Book Lover, by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

0007227256.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Everyone has a way of dealing with problems or escaping from reality for a while – for some people it’s soap operas, for some it’s alcohol, for some it’s exercise….for Dora, it’s books. When she feels disappointed with life, or with herself, she holes up in her apartment for days on end, and reads book after book after book. And lately, Dora has been feeling very disappointed; she is separated from her second husband, she hasn’t worked for five years, she eats too much pizza and drinks too much wine. When she meets sexy, funny, clever Fred, who works at – where else? – the local bookstore, they start a relationship. But when he shows his true colours, she wonders whether he is really the man for her.

I’m not sure what I expected from this book – I looked forward to reading about someone who adored books, as I thought I would be able to relate to her. This is actually more a chick-lit type read than I was expecting (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

The story is told from Dora’s point of view, and I did feel that she was a very believable character. She wasn’t always easy to like – she could be prickly, and looked down on people a lot. I got actually quite annoyed with her when she described different types of readers and how they irritated her; people read for many different reasons, but most of those reasons weren’t good enough for Dora. However, she did redeem herself in the second half of the story, and I ended up liking her a lot.

Fred’s mother Bea, and his niece Harper, as well as Dora’s sister Virginia, were all very likeable, but unfortunately Fred was one of the most annoying and self-satisfied characters I’ve read about for a while!

The writing flowed well, and was always easy to read, even if some of the events seemed to serve no purpose in the story at all – such as when Dora and her friend Darlene rescue an injured deer.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the book, but I’m not sure that I would be interested in reading anything further by these authors.

(Note: This book was also released under the title ‘Literacy and Longing in L.A.’)

Hi Ruth. I'd definitely put I Capture The Castle in my top 5 ,

Just starting to catch up with posts after a break. Not in my top 5, but, even though it's meant to be quite a female orientated book, it certainly ranked as a 6 star book (my highest grade) when I read it. I agree Kidsmum, Cassandra is also one of my favourite heroines. One of the best book openers I know too! I can't disagree with any of your review Ruth, definitely a change of mood later on (understandable in the context of the story). Only difference is that I recall not being quite as happy with the ending!

Cassandra was a very charismatic and sweet narrator. I think the reason I liked the ending was

Cassandra loved Simon, and she knew that she could probably be with him if she wanted, but she also knew that he would only be settling for second best (as he would see it; personally I far preferred Cassandra to Rose). So she turned him down, which I guess must take some strength, especially at such a tender age.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had known about the change of tone, which as you say, is to be expected given the storyline. The first half ha me laughing and giggling constantly, and especially the bear hunt/mix up at the station, which was hilarious :)

Except The Dying, by Maureen Jennings

0857689878.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the first book in a series of seven, which are collectively known as the Murdoch Mysteries, all of which feature a Canadian Police Detective named William Murdoch, who solves crimes in the late 1800s, in Toronto. Three of the novels were adapted into television movies, starring Peter Outerbridge as the title character, and a five season (so far) television show, with Yannick Bisson in the title role, featuring the characters from the books, but with all new storylines, has proved very successful. The tv series is one of my favourite shows, so I was looking forward to reading the novels, and seeing where the character of William Murdoch began.

I certainly was not disappointed. This fascinating novel which combines crime drama and historical fiction, is quite different from the tv show – Doctor Julia Ogden does not appear in this book at all, and Inspector Brackenridge only plays a minor role, whereas both of these characters are major characters in the show.

However, I do not intend for this review to be a comparison between the show and the books, especially as both are equally enjoyable in their own right. The story in this first Murdoch book revolves around the death of a young lady, who is found naked and frozen to death one wintery night. As Murdoch and his colleague, Constable Crabtree investigate the murder, they find that almost everyone connected with the young girl has secrets of their own, and there seems to be no shortage of suspects for the crime.

The ending was not predictable; a few times I thought I had worked out who was responsible, but I was pleasantly surprised. The character of Murdoch is well drawn, as is that of Constable Crabtree. Also, the family with whom the dead girl resided were also well fleshed out. There were no real gimmicks or twists in the story – just a very well told detective story, which showed Murdoch’s quick intelligence and dogged determination. I also thought that life in Toronto in the late 1800s was well depicted,with the atmosophere leaping off the page.

It’s a cliche to say it, but this book really was a page turner. I would highly recommend it to any fans of historical fiction or crime novels, and I look forward to reading the subsequent books in the series.

• 3 weeks later...

The Groucho Letters: Letters To and From Groucho Marx

1847391036.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

As the title suggests, this book is a collection of letters sent to and from comedian and actor Groucho Marx. Groucho was a prolific letter writer, and corresponded with friends, colleagues, politicians, other writers, and many more.

I am not going to list the many people who received or sent the letters in this book – it would take too long, for one thing – but the book is a shining example of Groucho’s wit and wisdom, his acerbic sense of humour, and (to a lesser extent) his beliefs.

My favourite exchange was between Groucho and T.S. Eliot. It was clear that Groucho was much in awe of Eliot’s work, and when the two met for dinner, he hoped for a ‘literary evening’ – only to discover that Eliot was equally in awe of Groucho, and just wanted to discuss Marx Brothers’ films!

I liked this book, and thought that it was great to dip in and out of – there were some extremely funny one-liners, and Groucho was also clearly a very astute man. My only criticism is really an editorial one – a lot of the correspondents may not be known to people reading the book (I know that I certainly had to look some of them up to see who they were, and how they were connected to Groucho), and therefore, the context of the letters isn’t always entirely clear.

Nonetheless though, this was highly enjoyable read, and one that I would definitely recommend.

Great review, Ruth. I have this on my TBR pile and have dipped into it a little. I can tell it's going to be a great read. It sounds like it would have been handy if the editor had included footnotes or similar to put things into context.

Great review, Ruth. I have this on my TBR pile and have dipped into it a little. I can tell it's going to be a great read. It sounds like it would have been handy if the editor had included footnotes or similar to put things into context.

Yes, great review Ruth .. sounds right up my alley :D love the cover too :)

Thanks Kylie and Poppy :)

I hope you enjoy the book Kylie. There are a couple of footnotes, but not nearly enough - I Googled a number of the correspondents, which helped as I could then see how they knew Groucho. Definitely worth reading. I kept reading bits out to my husband, or bursting into giggles!

Tatiana and Alexander, by Paullina Simons (minor spoilers)

f43eab0591e03b3593767785751434d414f4141.jpg

This is the second book in Paullina Simons’ trilogy about young couple Alexander and Tatiana. The spoilers I mention in the title of this post refer to both this book and the previous book, ‘The Bronze Horseman’.

The two title characters are actually not physically together for most of this book; Tatiana having escaped to America at the end of The Bronze Horseman, believing her husband Alexander to be dead; and Alexander still in Russia and forced to lead a penal battalion in war, with not enough soldiers, not enough ammunition and certainly not enough support from his country’s leader.

While Tatiana attempts to make something of her life – she becomes a nurse at Ellis Island, makes friends, raises her and Alexander’s son Anthony, and even considers dating again – she can never escape the possibility that her husband, the love of her life just might be alive. Alexander meanwhile has no idea where in the world Tatiana might be, or even if she is still alive.

I enjoyed this book, just as I enjoyed The Bronze Horseman. In this instalment of the story, Alexander’s back story, including how he came to be living in the Soviet Union, and his life before he met Tatiana, is covered, with the result that he is a much more sympathetic and rounded character. I thought the parts which detailed him fighting for a war he was no longer sure he believed in, under horrific conditions, to be absolutely compelling. The contrast between the lives which husband and wife led during this period were very marked – while Tatiana has found comfort and luxury, Alexander is barely surviving, and watches his fellow soldiers die on a daily basis.

The ending was superb – the last 100 pages or so are genuinely unputdownable! There is a third instalment in this series, which I certainly look forward to reading very soon.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

0718157834.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Louisa Clark is 26 years old, in a vaguely unsatisfying relationship with fitness fanatic Patrick, lives with her parents, sister, nephew and Grandad in a house that really isn’t big enough for them all, and works in a cafe, doing a job she likes but which has no prospects. Her world could not be more different than that of Will Traynor, who is handsome, intelligent, rich, funny, adventurous and well-travelled. But Will’s life has changed unimaginably since he was in a road accident that left him quadraplegic, and Lou’s life changes when she loses her job at the cafe, and becomes a carer for Will. Initially antagonistic towards each other, the two end up becoming good friends – and each becomes something of a lifeline to the other. Louisa desperately wants to help Will cope with his disability, but Will already has his own plans for the rest of his life.

I had heard many many good things about this book – SO many in fact, that I felt certain I was going to be let down when I actually read it. However, I was not let down; in fact I found that this novel was one of those rare books that I genuinely did not want to put down. I lost myself in it for hours at a time, and found that I was totally engaged with these two characters. I really don’t want to give too much away about what happens, so I have limited my description of the story to more or less what is on the back cover of the book. I must say though, that this story had me crying on several occasions, and laughing on other – yes, even when discussing such an emotionally charged subject, Jojo Moyes still managed to convey the hilarity of some situations.

The book is mainly told from Lou’s point of view, and I grew to really like her; like Will, I felt frustrated at her inability to see her own potential, and her apparent willingness to settle for less than she deserved. As for Will – I really don’t believe I can even begin to imagine how it must be to live his life – but this book did make me think about how it must be for a young man in his prime to lose practically all of his physical capabilities.

If I had just one criticism, it would be that I thought the upper classes were portrayed almost as caricatures – rich women are apparently all stunning beautiful but selfish, and the men are all boorish and brash. This really is just a tiny niggle though, and certainly would not stop me recommending this book to everybody.

1847391036.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

What an absolutely gorgeous cover, I would want to buy that even if I knew nothing about the book :D

Thanks for the review, I'm not sure if I already have this on my wishlist, but now it's going on it for sure :)

My favourite exchange was between Groucho and T.S. Eliot. It was clear that Groucho was much in awe of Eliot’s work, and when the two met for dinner, he hoped for a ‘literary evening’ – only to discover that Eliot was equally in awe of Groucho, and just wanted to discuss Marx Brothers’ films!

:D I wonder if they got a word in, them both wanting to gush over the other person's brilliance!

Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

Great review, Ruth :) I've noticed people reading this book (or mentioning the title on here and goodreads) and I've been wondering about it. Your review made me want to read it, but my only worry is that is it very chick-littish? Not that I'm against that per se, but I have too many other books on my lists as it is...

Thanks Frankie :)

I don't personally think Me Before You is too chick-littish, but I would probably say that it is aimed at a female audience. The book cover is a bit misleading, because it does look like it would be a typical chick-lit novel. Like you, I'm not against chick-lit, but it's definitely not my first choice of genre. I bought this because I had seen it recommended a few times and it was really cheap in a charity shop, so I snapped it up. Then I read a few recommendations, and one of my friends who has similar taste to me really really loved it, and practically demanded that I read it! On that basis, I started it, and I'm really glad I did :)

Oh, and I hope you love the Groucho book when you read it - I have his autobiography on my tbr pile, and have had to bump it up a bit because I enjoyed The Groucho Letters so much!

Edited by Ruth

I don't personally think Me Before You is too chick-littish, but I would probably say that it is aimed at a female audience. The book cover is a bit misleading, because it does look like it would be a typical chick-lit novel. Like you, I'm not against chick-lit, but it's definitely not my first choice of genre. I bought this because I had seen it recommended a few times and it was really cheap in a charity shop, so I snapped it up. Then I read a few recommendations, and one of my friends who has similar taste to me really really loved it, and practically demanded that I read it! On that basis, I started it, and I'm really glad I did

I agree, the cover certainly looks chick-littish. Thanks for clearing that out, it seems that it's pretty much what I hoped you would say, I'll be keeping my eyes open for the book! :)

Oh, and I hope you love the Groucho book when you read it - I have his autobiography on my tbr pile, and have had to bump it up a bit because I enjoyed The Groucho Letters so much!

I hope you enjoy the autobio, but then again why should you not, it's written by Groucho :D I'm looking forward to reading your review!

I don't personally think Me Before You is too chick-littish, but I would probably say that it is aimed at a female audience. The book cover is a bit misleading, because it does look like it would be a typical chick-lit novel. Like you, I'm not against chick-lit, but it's definitely not my first choice of genre.

Great review, Ruth. I've heard this book raved about, but like Frankie, I was worried it would be full-on chick-lit. I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but "chick-lit" was my first thought when I saw it. Anyway, I've just bought it (my first book purchase of October - I've done well this month :giggle: ); I might make it my next read.

I hope you enjoy the autobio, but then again why should you not, it's written by Groucho :D I'm looking forward to reading your review!

I think I'll love it. Groucho was a comedy genius, the sort that don't come along very often.

I like the sound of Me Before You - adding it to the wish list.

Great review, Ruth. I've heard this book raved about, but like Frankie, I was worried it would be full-on chick-lit. I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but "chick-lit" was my first thought when I saw it. Anyway, I've just bought it (my first book purchase of October - I've done well this month :giggle: ); I might make it my next read.

Hope you both enjoy it. I was initially put off by the cover myself, but read so many good reviews that I decided to give it a go (plus, I saw it on sale in a charity shop!) It really wasn't what I expected, but I mean that in a good way :)

Dead Man Walking, by Sister Helen Prejean

000628003X.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sometimes in life, a book comes along that hits you square between the eyes, and has a real impact. You know that book, that you can’t stop thinking about once you’ve finished it? That book that you just didn’t want to put down? That book which made you immediately want to find out more about the author and the subject? For me, this was one of those books.

It is Sister Helen Prejean’s true account of her work as a spiritual adviser to death row inmates in Louisiana, in the 1980s. The book concentrates on her friendship with two very different death row inmates – Elmo Patrick Sonnier and Robert Lee Willie. Sister Helen is completely against the death penalty, and in this book, as well as talking about Sonnier and Willie, she lays out her reasons for her feelings, such as how the death penalty is an instituionally racist system, which is biased against black offenders AND black victims. It is also unfairly biased against the poor, who often simply cannot afford a decent defence counsel. She describes how the death penalty is completely ineffective as a deterrent against crime, and how the cost of carrying out executions takes money away from other areas, such as putting more police on the streets. However, this is a review, not a recap of this book, and I do not intend to recount every point Sister Helen makes – although I strongly urge everyone to read it, whatever their views on the death penalty.

I found Sister Helen’s relationships with Sonnier and Willie to be very moving. She acknowledged the heinous crimes they committed - and although the reader knows from the outset that these men are violent and dangerous criminals, in this book, they are also depicted as human beings. Their crimes are in no way excused, but I found it impossible not to feel sorrow when she describes their executions – at the futility of their deaths, which accomplished nothing and did not bring their victims back.

Sister Helen understands the need for some people to see these prisoners “get what they deserve,” and she does not condemn those who disagree wtih her stance. She also was instrumental in setting up support groups for victims of violent crime, and that work is also described in the book. She also fully agrees that the people who commit such vile acts should pay fully for their crimes, but using such an arbitrary and unfair system, is not helping anyone, including the victims. At no time does she seek to trivialise the pain of the victims, or in any way suggest that there are needs are any less important than the cause which she believes in – and she actually forms an interesting friendship with the parents of a murder victim, who are in support of the death penalty.

I cried a number of times while reading this book. Despite the heavy subject matter, Sister Helen’s writing is eloquent and honest – sometimes painfully so – and she is not afraid to acknowledge when she herself has made a mistake in judgement. I found it a very difficult book to put down, and have no doubt that I will read it again in future.

Needless to say, I strongly recommend this book.

Hope you both enjoy it. I was initially put off by the cover myself, but read so many good reviews that I decided to give it a go (plus, I saw it on sale in a charity shop!) It really wasn't what I expected, but I mean that in a good way :)

I've since read it, and absolutely loved it. I don't know why they chose such a silly cover; it didn't fit the book at all. :o

I know, and the only reason I can think of is that because the author has previously written a lot of chick-lit, maybe they thought it would appeal to her usual readers? But then again, her usual readers would probably buy it anyway, so it would have made more sense to put on a more appropriate cover and attract readers who might not normally pick up her books.:confused:

Hmm, it is odd, but while I was writing my previous post I was trying to think what a more appropriate cover would look like and I can't think of one. :dunno: A 'serious' cover wouldn't suit the book either, despite the subject matter. Who knows - maybe the author/publisher spent months trying to decide on a cover, and chose the chick-lit one because a serious one didn't fit either. :10_confused: