Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I have been reading a lot this weekend just seemed to have time in between cleaning and cooking this weekend, I also managed to pick up 3 books from my local library sale for £1 all of which I have read but none of which I own. I love bank holidays shame to come back to work really

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished a kindle cheapy called Expats. Well worth the read. I'm now reading another Eric Ambler book called Epitaph for A Spy - I can't get enough of his books at the moment. I really need to catch up with my Amazon vine books or I'll not be allowed to pick any more until I've got the list down a bit! :blush2:

I too did a lot of reading this weekend pickle. The Easter weather was such a washout that it was a good excuse to curl up and read.

Edited by SueK

I've just finished reading 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson and I really didn't like it.

I recieved a load of new books this morning so even though it's a little early, I thought that I would get started on May's 'Reading Circle' read, 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith

I finished the first part of Eat, Pray, Love last night and have just started part two today. Really enjoying it so far, I'm not as into it as I would be with a work of fiction, but I did like the film so I thought I would read the book which is an interesting read.

Well, one of the book sites I visit just had to have an Easter sale didn't they.... This time I only bought two new books.... from the site.

I went into a department store and bought three of the five game of thrones books at $12 each! I then ordered the other two off BD. I had intended to pick up the three hunger game books (for the same price as game of thrones), but they had completely sold out.

Completed Charlotte's Web. And filled with warmth, delight, the barn-yard smells, and a bit of wisdom.

And now onto The Secret Garden.

Well, one of the book sites I visit just had to have an Easter sale didn't they.... This time I only bought two new books.... from the site.

I went into a department store and bought three of the five game of thrones books at $12 each! I then ordered the other two off BD. I had intended to pick up the three hunger game books (for the same price as game of thrones), but they had completely sold out.

----------

edit - just got back from said department store (had to return an item) and they had the hunger games back in stock! Except the first had sold out already, so I grabbed the second and third book. Off to BD to get the first now!

I finished Love You More - Lisa Gardner, a good thriller but not my favourite of her books.

Now I've started A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin, enjoying it so far but I think it'll take me a while to get through it! :readingtwo:

Started Viking: King's Man by Tim Severin last night,3rd in the trilogy,and also ordered The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey which I'm really looking forward to. :smile:

Seems like ages since I've been on the forum but since last time I've read Sharpe's Fortress Bernard Cornwell & The Forsyte Saga Vol 3 John Galsworthy both 5 star reads. Next I'm going to read Breakheart Hill Thomas H. Cook.

Still reading Grgory Peck: A Charmed Life, by Lynn Haney. It's a very well researched, well written biography, clearly written with warmth for the subject. However, I am starting to suspect that it's better not to know too much about your heroes sometimes!!

I'm on page 102 on In Cold Blood. It's a really slow read for me, for some reason and it feels like it has taken me ages to get this far. I'm getting into the story alright but I find Capote's choice of words and structure of sentences not suiting my current mood. I really struggled through the first 50 pages, in order to not give up on the book. I'm determined to read the whole thing this time.

Still reading Grgory Peck: A Charmed Life, by Lynn Haney. It's a very well researched, well written biography, clearly written with warmth for the subject. However, I am starting to suspect that it's better not to know too much about your heroes sometimes!!

Oh nooo, what's our Gregory done to make you feel like that! Don't tell me he's a tainted individual :o

Oh nooo, what's our Gregory done to make you feel like that! Don't tell me he's a tainted individual :o

Well, he will always be one of my favourite actors, and he did speak out for equality and against racism (at a time when it wouldn't make one popular to do so) and for that he will always have my respect. But he did treat his first wife pretty apallingly really, cheating on her for two year and gallivanting around Europe with Veronique (who became his second wife), while Greta was at home raising their three young children. Having said that, he and Greta always remained on good terms, so if she was able to get past it, I suppose that's what really matters. Besides, I suppose if you expect your heroes to be perfect, you'll always end up disappointed. I still love watching his films :)

P.S. Sorry if I have shattered your thoughts of him!

Edited by Ruth

I'm on page 102 on In Cold Blood. It's a really slow read for me, for some reason and it feels like it has taken me ages to get this far. I'm getting into the story alright but I find Capote's choice of words and structure of sentences not suiting my current mood. I really struggled through the first 50 pages, in order to not give up on the book. I'm determined to read the whole thing this time.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who struggled through it.....once I got about halfway though it went by more quickly, though not neccesarily because it got better, I think I just got more accustomed to his writing.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who struggled through it.....once I got about halfway though it went by more quickly, though not neccesarily because it got better, I think I just got more accustomed to his writing.

Thank god there's someone else who's also struggled with the book! *phew* I know this one's quite the classic and everybody seems to think highly of it, so I've been feeling like an odd one out, not getting along with it from the get-go.

I stopped by at a flea market on my way to the grocery store, and I found the second novel in the trilogy Under the North Star by the Finnish Väinö Linna. Now I have the whole set, so I'm very pleased. And that's it, no more book buying for me!