Claire's book list 2012

chesilbeach

I am SO glad I decided to make this year time to revisit Jane Austen. It's quite a few years since I read Sense and Sensibility, although I've watched the Emma Thompson film adaptation many times, and I'd forgotten quite how witty and charming the book is. I've read ten chapters so far and it's so much brighter and livelier than I remember from my last reading, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it :smile2:

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks frankie :)

The Pamela Aidan books sound good, and they get good reviews on amazon too, so they've been added to my wishlist - thanks! :smile2:

That sounds really good, adding to wish list!

You have a great TBR list, happy reading this year!

Most of my weekend has been taken up reading the Travelling Matchmaker series by M.C. Beaton. They follow the exploits of an early nineteenth century middle aged woman, Miss Hannah Pym, who after working her way up through the ranks of service to the position of housekeeper, finds herself a woman of independent means following the receipt of a bequest of five thousand pounds after the death of her employer. For years she has dreamed of travelling the length and breadth of England on the stage coaches known as the Flying Machines. The six books in the series see her journeying to Exeter, Bath, Portsmouth, Brighton, Dover and York, and along the way acting as matchmaker to a variety of young women and eminently suitable gentlemen, with a bit of adventure thrown in for good measure such as highwaymen, attempted poisoning, sea bathing and French spies! Frothy nonsense perfect for an otherwise uneventful, grey weekend in January.

Edited by chesilbeach

I've just finished the first book in My Year With Jane Austen reading plan - Sense and Sensibility. This was the first of Austen's novels to be published and follows the fortunes of the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. After the loss of their father, their mothers meagre income forces the family to move to a cottage in Dorsetshire in much reduced circumstances. The story follows them through their romantic disappointments all the while with a witty look at the society of the period.

I haven't read this book since Emma Thompson adapted it for the big screen, which I've just looked up and it was seventeen years ago! I'd forgotten some of the differences, including some of the characters, such as Lady Middleton and Miss Nancy Steele, but I definitely hadn't forgotten how lively and sparkling the writing is. I loved the second chapter where Fanny is trying to disuade John Dashwood from giving his half-sisters or his step-mother money after promising his dying father that he will look after them when he inherits his estate. I sometimes find classics hard to read, as the style of the writing and the language can feel quite foreign to a modern reader, but Austens words just seem to flow off the page, and her characters, even the ones we shouldn't like, have a charm about them.

For me, Elinor is the heroine of this novel, the sensible, reserved sister, who hides her own disappointments in order to prevent distress for her family, and supports passionate Marianne through her more public failed romance. Interestingly, the character who I've really changed my opinion of from my memory of my original reading, is Willoughby, who I used to feel a sympathy for (although I suspect this is because I find him a more sympathetic character in the film adaption) but who I now feel is much more selfish and self important than I remembered. This was particularly pertinent for me after his discussion with Elinor at Cleveland, when I completely lose any sympathy I may have been holding for him up until that point.

I'm so glad I started with this novel for my Jane Austen reading, and it's been an absolute joy to read again.

I liked Sense and Sensibility (I like all things Austen-related), and loved Marianne.

My favourite Jane Austen is probably Emma; it was my least favourite when I first read, but I've developed a real affection for it over the years. Actually, this thread has made me think that it might be time for a re-read :)

Claire, I will have to keep an eye on how your year with Austen goes! I think it might encourage me to get through a few as well! I'm about a third of the way through Northanger Abbey on my kindle at the moment and need to go back to Sense and Senseibility having begun it in the summer.

Totally agree with what you said about Elinor!

It's been years since I read Sense & Sensibility as well. I did really love it. I agree that Elinor is clearly the heroine and my favorite character in the novel, but I do adore Marianne.

I love Marianne too, because she's wears her heart on her sleeve and is not afraid to say what she feels.

I liked Sense and Sensibility (I like all things Austen-related), and loved Marianne.

My favourite Jane Austen is probably Emma; it was my least favourite when I first read, but I've developed a real affection for it over the years. Actually, this thread has made me think that it might be time for a re-read :)

This is the year I'm determined to read the whole of Emma - I've started it at least four times in the past, but it's never kept my interest, but this time is going to be different!

Claire, I will have to keep an eye on how your year with Austen goes! I think it might encourage me to get through a few as well! I'm about a third of the way through Northanger Abbey on my kindle at the moment and need to go back to Sense and Senseibility having begun it in the summer.

Totally agree with what you said about Elinor!

I love Northanger Abbey, I think it's probably the one I've read the most of all her books.

A year with Jane Austen? What a great idea. I've been steadily rereading her books over the past couple of years, and it's been a real joy. Having said that, I actually listened to rather than read Sense and Sensibility in the period before Christmas, Juliet Stevenson proving to be the perfect Austen reader (actually, possibly perfect reader full stop - her voice is one to die for!). That was my fourth of fifth time through what is certainly my favourite Austen book (and thus one of my favourite all-time books), but she still managed to bring out aspects I'd not really thought of or through.

Funnily enough, I've gone the opposite way with Willoughby, having a bit more sympathy with him now than I had before. Yes he's decidedly selfish (not sure about self-importance - unlike John Dashwood who is decidedly so!), but what's really lacking is courage: courage to buck the trend and expectations, take a risk, indeed take control of his life. And that's all too human. There's definitely a tinge of sadness about Marianne landing up with Colonel Brandon, however honourable and decent he is. Whilst Elinor has long been one of my great heroines - even more so than Elizabeth Bennet - there's no doubt that Marianne has gained greater regard with each reading. Hard to believe they are so young though.

Edited by willoyd

I don't listen to that many audiobooks, but I do remember listening to Joanna David read Pride and Prejudice many years ago, and I thought she was absolutely perfect for Austen's writing. I've just had a look to see if I can find it again, but unfortunately, it's an abridged version, and if I'm going to invest in an audiobook, I want it unabridged.

I don't listen to that many audiobooks, but I do remember listening to Joanna David read Pride and Prejudice many years ago, and I thought she was absolutely perfect for Austen's writing. I've just had a look to see if I can find it again, but unfortunately, it's an abridged version, and if I'm going to invest in an audiobook, I want it unabridged.

Agreed, which is one of the reasons for going with the Stevenson reading. She's now done the full set, which I'm gradually building up. I've also got her version of To The Lighthouse, and am intending to acquire her Middlemarch in the next month: I've joined Audiobooks.com, and my subscription gives me one book a month.

I've only recently started listening to audiobooks, although I used to a fair bit when I had a lot of travelling for work to do. But I do have a 20 minute or so walk between work and the station if I catch the train (not every day), and I've found the audiobook is a very pleasant way of whiling away what is otherwise a rather boring route. It's amazing how all those 20 minutes add up!

Great review of Sense & Sensibility, Claire. Out of Austen's books I've only read Pride & Prejudice but I most certainly want to read more in the future. She's got a lovely writing style and unlike most of my university reads, I actually really enjoyed P&P, so here's hoping I get around to reading more of her books soon.

Now All Roads Lead To France by Matthew Hollis is a departure from my usual reading, but a very welcome one. My knowledge of the First World War is very sketchy and I've never really got to grips with poetry, but for some reason I was drawn to this biography looking at the final years of the British poet Edward Thomas who died in WWI. The book covers the period from 1913 to his death in 1917, and more than just look at Thomas's life, it also looks at the literary scene in London at that time. The main story, though, is Thomas's friendship with American poet Robert Frost, and Thomas's transition from reviewer and writer of prose to arguably one of the most influential poets of his generation.

This was a fascinating book, and so well written, bringing to life the man and his family and friends, and often focusing on the influence that his great friendship with Frost had on his life. It's not always an easy read - his bouts of depression and the measures he takes to cope with his relationships with his family are often hard and I felt desperately sorry for Helen, his wife, at times, although she comes across as a very strong woman, who learned to cope in her own accepting way.

As someone who doesn't read (and on the odd occasion I do, understand) poetry, I was still fascinated during the sections covering the change taking place in the style of verse being written by the new poets of the era, such as Frost, Ezra Pound, T. S. Eliot, Wilfred Owen and W. B. Yeats. Thomas's transition to poet was fairly sudden, and ran alongside his ongoing battle with the decision of whether to enlist after the outbreak of the war, but once he had taken the step to become a poet, his poetry seemed to flow almost immediately.

I could go on writing for pages, so I'll just finish by saying that I rarely finish a biography if I start one, I'll repeat that I don't read poetry, and again that I know very little about WWI, but this book was fascinating from start to finish, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Edited by chesilbeach

Written off the back of his Radio 4 comedy show of the same name Mark Steel's In Town is a fantastic journey around the country with each chapter concentrating on a town, city or county (and there's even one for motorways!) and looking at what in their history and culture makes them unique. Although I've listened to a lot of the shows and could recognise some of the jokes or comments from it, it was still hugely enjoyable to read and full of enough detail and additional anecdotes to keep even an ardent fan of his show entertained. If you love reading about the eccentricities and quirkiness of the British nation, then this is a book for you.

One word of warning though, it does contain some strong language, not that often, but some people might be offended.

Edited by chesilbeach

Although I'd seen the cover all over the place, I really didn't have much idea what Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman was about before I started it. It's one of my reading group books for this month, and I have to admit, I don't think I'd have picked it up if it wasn't.

The story follows eleven year old Harri, an immigrant from Ghana, who lives with his mother and older sister in a flat in a tower block. His father, baby sister and grandmother are still living in Ghana waiting until they have enough money to be able to join the rest of the family in the UK. The book starts with the fatal stabbing of another boy on the estate, and Harri sets his mind to trying to solve the crime, but all the while surviving the trials of fitting in to the culture of his adopted country.

Harri's narrative is written with a concoction of English, slang from both the streets and children of his new home as well as Ghana, and what I suspect maybe Harri's own unique words (I still have no idea what "hutious" means!), which I would normally find difficult or irritating to read, but in this case it was remarkably easy to follow, and gives an authenticity to his voice.

Despite knowing little about the book, I have to say, I did anticipate what would happen at the end, but that didn't make it any less dramatic or effective when it came, and I was pleased that the author didn't shy away from it, but also left it open to interpretation - it's difficult to say more than that without giving anything away, but I think anyone else who's read this book will know what I mean.

I think it was an accomplished piece of writing, and even though I feel as if I'm praising it here, I'm not sure that I really enjoyed it, and I can't put my finger on why. I wonder if perhaps it was because I thought the ending was inevitable from about 50 or so pages in, and I was just waiting for it to happen, so I couldn't lose myself in the moment of what was happening for the rest of the book.

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Pigeon English Claire. I loved it but I can totally see why others maybe wouldn't. I didn't see the inevitability of it .. even though I knew it was based on Damilola Taylor .. so the ending took me by surprise. The slang was hard to follow at times too, I did look 'hutious' up because it was driving me mad not to know .. it means: frightening :smile:

I love the sound of Now All Roads Lead to France .. great review Claire.

I think perhaps it was just that my stomach was knotted most of the way through waiting for the ending to come, poppy, not that I didn't enjoy the writing. Thanks for the definition of hutious! I did a quick search and all I came up with was this book, but I didn't delve into the results as I hadn't finished reading it at that point :)

Thanks for the comment about Now All Roads Lead to France - I think you would love it.

In Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling, Phoenix is a teenage thief, living in a community of Savants - people with paranormal powers - surviving outside of society, ruled by force by the Seer who doles out tortuous punishments to those who fail to bring in their quota of stolen goods. When the job to steal the computer equipment from a student visiting one of the construction sites of the London 2012 Olympics, her precarious position in the community comes under threat.

This is the follow-up to Finding Sky which I read last year and thought was a great YA read. As often happens after the first book of a series, which has lots of scene setting and a new world to introduce the reader to, the second book hits the ground running, and the author can get straight into the story. This story is packed with action, and I loved how she manages to intersperse the action with moments of quiet and calm. The heroine, Phoenix, is a headstrong and single-minded teenager, but after being orphaned at an early age, has had to grow up quickly and without a moral compass of a parent or parental figure to guide her. I really liked her story, and although I am soppy romantic enough to love the concept of soul-finders, I did feel a teeny bit disappointed at the end

with the proposal and wedding, not because they are too young, but because I felt she was rushed and cajoled into it without really knowing Yves well or long enough

but maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.

Anyway, great story, really enjoyable, and will look forward to the next Benedict brother story Seeking Crystal, which the author tweeted will be Valentine's Day 2013 at the latest - maybe earlier.

Edited by chesilbeach

I was in desperate need of some escapism at the weekend, so I indulged myself with the second book in F. E. Heaton's Vampire's Realm series, Prophecy: Caelestis & Aurorea. Picking up where the first book left off, Prophecy is on a quest to find Valentine, while trying to learn more about her magic and the destiny that will see her either save or destroy their world.

I love the storytelling in these books, the pages just flew by as I was engrossed in it for the majority of the weekend. Prophecy is a strong, determined heroine, so a fast paced adventure story that entertains and thrills, with a good dollop of romance thrown in for good measure, it lifted my spirits. I've downloaded the next book ready to treat myself to next weekend! Thanks to Charm for the recommendation :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

The second book on My Year With Jane Austen plan was The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine which is a modern day tale inspired by Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. The setting is Westport, Connecticut and is based around Betty, who finds herself newly single at 75 when her 78-year-old husband decided to divorce her, and in her reduced circumstances is forced to move out of her New York apartment and decamp to a house owned by her cousin in Westport. She convinces her middle aged daughters to sublet their apartments and move in with her through the divorce. Elder daughter, Annie, is a librarian while younger daughter, Miranda, is a literary agent.

The story follows fairly closely in theme to Sense and Sensibility, but I have to say, having just read that book, it was very slight in comparison, and I just didn't find the same wit and sparkle that the original had. I found most of the characters very unsympathetic, and some of the minor characters felt like caricatures making it difficult to get emotionally involved in the book. I think this is the only modern day retelling of any of Austen's books I have on my reading plan, and if this is anything to go by, I'm glad of that. It's such a shame, as contemporary versions of her books in film have often been quite good (I love Clueless for example), but as a book, I just didn't enjoy it.

Although nothing to do with the writing, I have one other criticism, and that was the Kindle formatting of this book. There were multiple instances of an R in the middle of sentences, an S at the beginning of a word, words where there was a space halfway through it, and hyphenated words which may have been words that had spanned lines in a printed form, but not in the digital form, all of which took me out of the writing every time I came across one. I've had free, self-published Kindle books with far fewer formatting errors than this book, so I wasn't impressed by this at all.

Edited by chesilbeach

Have just finished 'Stealing Phoenix' myself, and have to agree with everything you say in your review, including your (non) fuddy-duddy point.

I am enjoying reading some of the supernatural romance books that are out there, and have read the FE Heaton Prophecy series too. They make easy, heart fluttery, action packed reads, the perfect escapism. :smile: