Claire's book list 2012

chesilbeach

My first ever Jane Austen read was Pride and Prejudice and I read it after watching the Laurence Oliver and Greer Garson film adaptation when I was a young teenager. Having never see or heard of Austen and her books before this, I fell in love with the film and the story, and decided to read the original book. It was probably the book written earlier than 1950 that I'd ever read, and I did find it a struggle on that first reading, as I was unused to the style of writing and the language. Despite the difficulties, I persevered and was rewarded with one of the most memorable books I've ever read, and the door was opened to the world of Jane Austen novels, as well as the multitude of screen adaptations I've since watched.

This is exactly what happened to me .. exactly .. except I was not a young teenager I was in my twenties :giggle: and I was scared stiff of the classics. I gobbled up all her other books one after the other and yes, watched all the adaptations. The first Sunday that the Colin Firth P&P was televised .. I thought I would explode with happiness .. especially after I saw it. But it all started with Greer and Larry :smile: (and I still love it and forgive them for all the liberties not to mention the crinolines .. oh I loved Edmund Gwenn as Mr Bennet :) but then I loved Benjamin Whitrow too .. they played it similarly.)

I had been thinking of leaving Pride and Prejudice to the end of my year of re-reading her works as a sort of reward for Christmas, but I just couldn't resist it any longer, and what a joy it was to read again. The characters of this novel seem like old friends, I know them so well. Elizabeth's hot-headedness and absolute loyalty to those she believes are good and right, Darcy's shyness displaying as an aloof and proud nature, the forthright, unabashed and highly melodramatic Mrs. Bennet and her determination to marry off her daughters, and the deliciously (to quote Austen and the most appropriate description of a character ever) obsequious Mr. Collins. The characters and the story jump off the page of probably my favourite love story ever, with a sharp and at times acerbic view of the society but with a lightness of touch that gives a wonderful and thought provoking insight into the lives of young women of that class and the necessity to marry in that period.

I must give it a re-read .. it's long overdue. You've made me want to do it now Claire :) Mr Collins :D .. genius of a character.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of quick reviews to start the catch up process!

A Moment of Silence by Anna Dean was a recommendation from vodkafan's reading list. It a murder mystery set in the early 19th century, with the sentiments of a Jane Austen novel with it's look at society of the time, where a spinster aunt is sent to help her niece after her fiancé disappears after a ball. I'm not a fan of crime drama, but this gentle, humorous take on the genre, with its historical setting and the manners of the period, was entertaining and right up my street. I will definitely be reading more of the series.

The sixth book in Chloe Neill's series, Biting Cold, continues the story of Merit, a young woman turned into a vampire against her will, and now standing as Sentinel in one of the vampire houses in the city of Chicago. It's difficult to say too much about the story when you're six books into a series, as you don't want to give away plot spoilers for earlier books as well, so I'll just say that if you are a fan of the urban fantasy genre, and the likes of Kim Harrison and Karen Chance, you'll probably like this series too, with its strong female lead, supernatural action and a touch of romance.

Been feeling a bit under the weather the last couple of days, so haven't felt up to reading much, but I am gradually working my way through Emma at the moment, and I'm about a quarter of the way through so far, and I can see why each time I've tried it before, I've never managed to finish it. I think it's her worst writing by far, but I think the story is good - maybe she just needed a good editor!

Been feeling a bit under the weather the last couple of days, so haven't felt up to reading much, but I am gradually working my way through Emma at the moment, and I'm about a quarter of the way through so far, and I can see why each time I've tried it before, I've never managed to finish it. I think it's her worst writing by far, but I think the story is good - maybe she just needed a good editor!

Oh dear, that's the only book of hers I have, maybe I shouldn't read that one first or I may never try the others?!

I feel like I'm reviewing Emma as I go along, but I can't believe it's by the same author as some of my favourite books of all time???!!! Mr Woodhouse is irritating in the extreme as a character, but worse than that is the poor, poor dialogue for him, and don't even get me started on the lack of character development so far. I know I'm only a quarter of the way in, but it's only just started to go anywhere remotely interesting. I know remember why I've never managed to finish it before.

Edited by chesilbeach

It's a strange one chaliepud, as I know others love Emma but personally, I would never recommend it as the first Austen to try - I'd probably go for the ever popular Pride and Prejudice or the light hearted Northanger Abbey.

Emma was my first Austen novel, a set text for A-level some (too many!) years ago. I hated it whilst studying it during the first year, but read it (and my other texts) as a straight novel over the summer holidays at the end of the year, and found that I absolutely loved it. I then went on to read the rest of Austen for myself in quick successsion (except for Mansfield Park, which I first read a couple of years ago). Emma remains one of my favourites, along with S&S (my standout favourite and generally grossly underrated), P&P (although a bit too overrated) and Persuasion. Northanger Abbey is alright, but it's (deliberately) a bit silly, a bit too much so for me.

The thing about Austen is that whilst superficially all her books are the same, they aren't - they are, in fact, very different, not least because they are so character driven, and the characters are all very different. Emma is a bit (?!) of a spoilt brat, who rates her talents far too highly. She learns!

Just finished The Chimes by Charles Dickens, and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I can only read Dickens in small chunks. I loved A Christmas Carol last year, and at only 113 pages, I loved The Chimes too. A short(ish) ghost story (that I probably should have waited until after Christmas to read ;)), around the bells that ring in the New Year, and with a similar theme to A Christmas Carol, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think perhaps the setting I read the book in helped ...

The view from my armchair:

post-4870-0-42045000-1355077699_thumb.jpg

I'm halfway through Emma now. On previous attempts to read this one, I'm not sure I've ever got this far before giving up, but I think the difference this time is that I actually know the story now, as I've watched a few screen adaptations which I'd never done before, so at least I can follow where I am in the story.

I've been reading your thread over the last couple of days, catching up on what I have missed (which is a lot!). Just wanted to say a very belated congratulations on hitting the big 0 with your tbr list!

• 2 weeks later...

Determined effort to catch up on reviews today. Here's the first one:

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Synopsis (from www.amazon.co.uk):

The Joy Luck Club was formed of four Chinese women recently moved to San Francisco who meet to eat dim sum, play mah-jong and to share stories. Forty years on they and their daughters tell wise and witty tales of hope, loss, family and history. Spanning pre-Revolutionary China to 1980s San Francisco, the women talk as secrets are spilled, mothers boast and despair and daughters struggle with tangled truths.

Review:

I was really keen to read this after having read Amy Tan's The Opposite of Fate, which is a memoir and in it she often talks about this book, her first novel. It didn't disappoint! It was a lovely book, and could almost be read as a collection of short stories, but all told the stories of the four women and their daughters, and their experiences as either young women in China or as immigrants in the United States, or the stories of their daughters as they grew up trying to fit in to American society while living with the Chinese cultural

background at home. I couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up, and found humour, sadness, honesty, hurt, melancholy and love among the pages. A wonderful book to read, and I will definitely be looking to read more of Tan's books in the future.

Hollow Pike by James Dawson.

Something wicked this way comes...

She thought she'd be safe in the country, but you can't escape your own nightmares, and Lis London dreams repeatedly that someone is trying to kill her.

Lis thinks she's being paranoid - after all who would want to murder her? She doesn't believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn't believe that anything bad will really happen to her. You never do, do you? Not until you're alone in the woods, after dark - and a twig snaps...

Hollow Pike - where witchcraft never sleeps.

Review:

What a refreshing change this book was! I bought it after reading Michelle's review, and have been following James Dawson on Twitter, so I had an inkling I would like it anyway, but I was very impressed with this British YA book. It was great to read a story with a supernatural edge, but that was firmly based in a reality I know, the life of a British schoolgirl. Lis was a great heroine, and I loved how Dawson dealt with peer pressure, the cliques and the outsiders, and there was no shying away from the nastiness of teenagers.

This was a book full of suspense, and the murder mystery that evolves is cleverly done - I never saw the end coming, so it was a success from that point of view too.

A cracking read, and another author I definitely want to read more of!

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

During an eventful season at Bath, young, naïve Catherine Morland experiences the joys of fashionable society for the first time. She is delighted with her new acquaintances: flirtatious Isabella, who shares Catherine's love of Gothic romance and horror, and sophisticated Henry and Eleanor Tilney, who invite her to their father's mysterious house, Northanger Abbey. There, her imagination influenced by novels of sensation and intrigue, Catherine imagines terrible crimes committed by General Tilney. With its broad comedy and irrepressible heroine, this is the most youthful and and optimistic of Jane Austen's works.

Review:

I think this is Austen's most obviously funny book, and has always to me felt reminiscent of a modern chick-lit novel. Catherine is a charmingly naïve heroine, her country vicarage upbringing being honest and loving, but her head has been filled by the thrilling stories of gothic novels. I love how Austen leads her down a wrong turn with her initial friendship with Isabella Thorpe, but shows her sensible and good nature by insisting she maintains her friendship with the Tilney brother and sister. Henry Tilney is probably my favourite Austen hero (it's a close tie with Darcy, and they tend to swap places at every re-read!), as he's both charming and sensible, and has a gently teasing sense of humour.

Always one of my favourite re-reads.

Henry Tilney's Diary by Amanda Grange

Growing up in an abbey with an irascible father, a long-suffering mother, a rakish brother and a pretty sister, Henry Tilney's life bears more than a passing resemblance to the Gothic novels he loves to read. And yet although Henry is undoubtedly cut out to be a hero, he cannot find his heroine - until, that is, he meets Catherine Morland. With her refreshing innocence and love of reading, Catherine is the perfect match...unless the scheming of Henry's father and the scandalous behaviour of his brother destroy their happy ending.

Review:

This has been my favourite of the Amanda Grange diaries of the Austen men, and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at Henry and Eleanor's life away from Catherine, and seeing how Grange thought their story developed. I have loved reading these diaries as it's like reading your favourite novel from a different point of view, and I think Grange captures the spirit and tone of the Austen novels and creates the alternate histories with the same wit and style, without becoming a pastiche.

Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers by M. C. Beaton

Agatha has fallen in love - again. This time it's the local gardener, George Marston, she has her eye on. But competition for his attention abounds. With her shameless determination Agatha will do anything to get her man - including footing the bill for a charity ball in town just for the chance to dance with him. But when George is a no-show Agatha goes looking for him - and finds he has been murdered, having been bitten by a poisonous snake and buried in a compost heap. Agatha and the rest of her crew plunge into an investigation and discover that George had quite a complicated love life. And if Agatha now can't have George, at least she can have the satisfaction of confronting those women who have and finding a murderer in the process.

Agatha Raisin and the Christmas Crumble by M. C. Beaton

Agatha is spending Christmas at home in the Cotswolds - and in a fit of goodwill towards all men (and women) she invites six of Carsley's oldest residents to come around and share Christmas lunch with her.

Christmas jollity soon turns to disaster as Agatha accidentally kills one of her guests with a gruesome homemade Christmas pudding... so will it be Christmas in the cells for Agatha? Or can she fix an escape out of this particular festive mess!

Review:

M. C. Beaton is one of those authors I go to when I've got a lot going on, and I need something that doesn't require too much brain power or concentration. The two latest Agatha Raisin stories, the first a full length novel, the second a short story, follow Agatha in her latest escapades as a private detective in a small Cotswold village. She is an irascible, mildly foul-mouthed, irritable woman, but has a kind heart underneath her crusty exterior, but somehow manages to rub most people up the wrong way. Both a murder suspect and a potential victim are par for the course, but no matter, she somehow manages to solve the crimes, and save the day!

These two have been perfect for the last quarter of the year when I'm too busy to spend too much time reading, and can just indulge in a few pages at a time of these comic gems.

How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran

It's a good time to be a woman: we have the vote and the Pill, and we haven't been burnt as witches since 1727. However, a few nagging questions do remain... Why are we supposed to get Brazilians? Should we use Botox? Do men secretly hate us? And why does everyone ask you when you're going to have a baby? Part memoir, part rant, Caitlin answers the questions that every modern woman is asking.

Review:

What a great read this was. While telling the story of her own life, Caitlin discusses the female issues that girls goes through as they grow up, gradually moving into the issues of feminism, once she has grown up. But not just about feminism, it's also about how to be an individual and not conforming to expectations. All this with humour, wit, warmth and even a bit of shouting when needed! I follow Caitlin on twitter and have heard/seen her interviewed a lot, and as it's been quite a while since I read the book :blush: I can't always remember what's in the book and what I've heard her say, so I don't want to quote something in case it's not in the book after all, but I would say that this is a fantastic read, particularly as someone who grew up around the same time, and has a lot of the same references (although in a far more conventional home than Caitlin's :D), and as someone who doesn't conform to common ideals of women in modern society, I found her funny, accessible, outrageous, sensible and most of all entertaining to read.

It is, bobblybear. I haven't come close to doing it justice in my review, but I'm a bit far behind and trying to make sure I catch up before the end of the year, but I know poppyshake has written a much better, more detailed review in her reading blog if you want to find out a bit more. Definitely recommended though. :)

Seeking Crystal by Joss Stirling

Crystal Brook has always been the dud Savant in her family; paranormal powers just aren't her thing. Dropping out of school with a clutch of 'E' grades and no future, she lives in the shadow of her high-flying sister Diamond. On a trip to Denver, a chance encounter with the dashing Benedict brothers leaves Diamond head over heels in love and engaged to be married. Crystal, on the other hand, is unimpressed by their charms . . . in fact no boy can annoy her as much as Xav Benedict! Back in Venice, their families assemble for Diamond's wedding and a powerful enemy seizes the opportunity to attack. Crystal and Xav must join forces to save their loved-ones, unlocking a secret that, until now, has lain deeply buried . . .

Review:

Third in a YA series, and a very enjoyable series it is. I like that the Savants each have different powers, and that although there is a romance in each book, it's more about the heroines finding themselves, and becoming strong, confident young women in their own rights. Plus, you get a cracking, action-packed thriller of a story as well. What's not to like?! :D

Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

When a tide of ferocious draug, the vampire's deadliest enemy, floods Morganville, its eclectic mix of residents must fight to save their town from devastation. Chaos has taken over the quiet college town of Morganville as the threat of the draug rapidly spreads with the help of the city's water system. Whilst most of the locals have already fled, student Claire Danvers and her friends Shane, Eve and Michael choose to stay and fight. Things take a turn for the worse when vampire Amelie, the town's founder, is infected by the master draug's bite. Unless Claire and her friends can find an antidote to save Amelie and overcome the draug, Morganville's future looks bleak...

Review:

Another YA series, this time a vampire story. This is twelfth book in the series, and I think the story is starting to veer quite far from what I liked about the series in the first place, but it's still an easy, entertaining read. I know there is at least two more books to come, and I wonder if the series is intended to have a conclusion, or whether Caine will keep on going indefinitely. I'll keep reading them for now, as its one of the few series I have kept up with but I would like to see some sort of ending in sight, or I might have to give up.

The Pedant In The Kitchen by Julian Barnes

The Pedant's ambition is simple. He wants to cook tasty, nutritious food; he wants not to poison his friends; and he wants to expand, slowly and with pleasure, his culinary repertoire. A stern critic of himself and others, he knows he is never going to invent his own recipes (although he might, in a burst of enthusiasm, increase the quantity of a favourite ingredient). Rather, he is a recipe-bound follower of the instructions of others. It is in his interrogations of these recipes, and of those who create them, that the Pedant's true pedantry emerges. How big, exactly, is a 'lump'? Is a 'slug' larger than a 'gout'? When does a 'drizzle' become a downpour? And what is the difference between slicing and chopping?This book is a witty and practical account of Julian Barnes' search for gastronomic precision. It is a quest that leaves him seduced by Jane Grigson, infuriated by Nigel Slater, and reassured by Mrs Beeton's Victorian virtues. The Pedant in the Kitchen is perfect comfort for anyone who has ever been defeated by a cookbook and is something that none of Julian Barnes' legion of admirers will want to miss.

Review:

This popped up in the Kindle Daily Deal, and after having added it to my wishlist based on poppyshake's review, it was too good an opportunity to miss. As someone who tries to bake, and I'm doing a little bit more all the time, Barnes sounds exactly like me with regards to recipes. I hate it when instructions are ambiguous, and I do have a tendency to buy far too many cook books based on the amount of time I actually spend baking, so I felt I'd be on safe ground with this one. And I was absolutely right. I loved this book, which is like a collection of essays on a theme, a short, easy read that had me nodding my head in agreement on more than one occasion! :D