Claire's book list 2012

chesilbeach

Good going Claire. I remember Carol Drinkwater from that vet program. Can't wait to read your reviews, please make them very long ones that will slow you down a bit :giggle2:

Me slow down? You seem to be whizzing through books at the moment! :lol:

Wow - you have made amazing progress - I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with your restraint. :)

Thanks - the finishing line is in sight now ;)

(Bolding mine: Just one thing - doesn't this make four new books?)

:doh: I've corrected it now - it should have been "1 of which is destined for a challenge next year"!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, when I was sorting bookshelves earlier, I realised I've got two more books for post TBR reading - the book I won last week, The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals by Wendy Young, and The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy which Kay kindly lent me. As neither were purchased, I'm not adding them to my total, but they will be added to the two I did buy that will be read after reading all my older books. :)

About twenty years ago, I was told how great The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen was. About five years ago, my library reading group choice was to read a book you would never normally pick up, and this book was suggested to me. Neither time did I actually read it, but it's been sat on my TBR shelf since that first recommendation, and I can now finally say I've finished it.

The author writes of his expedition in the 1970s through the Himalayas with a biologist in order to study wild blue sheep, but with the hope that they would see the almost mythical snow leopard, a creature which at the time had never even been photographed in the wild. While recounting the story of their journey, he contemplates the relationship and life he shared with his recently deceased wife, the religions of the region and his own spirituality.

This was definitely a book of two halves for me. The travelogue part of the book, the descriptions of the scenery, the people and the general experience of their expedition was amazing. BUT, the rest of the authors memoir was awkward for me to read. It was honest, but I found the descriptions of drug use (this would have been the sixties, and a variety of drug use was described including LSD) was very discomfiting and I felt he came across as incredibly selfish to have left his grieving 8-year-old son at home while he travelled on an incredibly dangerous journey. The writing itself was wonderful, it was just my reluctance to read the more personal elements of his life.

I don't really have much else to say, but it wasn't all I was hoping for, but I'm glad I've read it so that now I know for myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here to post in ages because I know there are loads of stuff I want to comment on, and it would take time and I've not had the time for a while :blush:

But I just wanted to now come here and say how I'm in awe of you. 10 books on pile TBR!! :boogie::woohoo::clapping: You are doing so fabulously. I mean just think, one more book and TBR is one digit! :o:D

I haven't been on here to post in ages because I know there are loads of stuff I want to comment on, and it would take time and I've not had the time for a while :blush:

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere! Whenever you get time, I'll be more than happy to read your thoughts on anything here :)

But I just wanted to now come here and say how I'm in awe of you. 10 books on pile TBR!! :boogie::woohoo::clapping: You are doing so fabulously. I mean just think, one more book and TBR is one digit! :o:D

Thanks, frankie :smile2: Pesky Olympics have drastically reduced my reading this week, but hoping to make that single digit TBR tomorrow :thud:

:lol: Perhaps I can catch up a bit this weekend - I'll cut back on my sleep to find some extra minutes in the day!

haha .. you're ruthless Claire :)Well done .. you're doing amazingly. Can you take on my TBR afterwards? :D

Isn't the Olympics brilliant? Only six days in and I'm already worried about the huge gap in my life after it's finished. I love being able to watch decent things in the daytime .. I work too of course (though it's terribly distracting .. one minute I'm winding thread and the next I'm shouting 'Go Wiggo'! at the TV like a maniac :))

Like you it's slightly impacting on my reading too .. but it's well worth it.

haha .. you're ruthless Claire :)Well done .. you're doing amazingly. Can you take on my TBR afterwards? :D

Isn't the Olympics brilliant? Only six days in and I'm already worried about the huge gap in my life after it's finished. I love being able to watch decent things in the daytime .. I work too of course (though it's terribly distracting .. one minute I'm winding thread and the next I'm shouting 'Go Wiggo'! at the TV like a maniac :))

Like you it's slightly impacting on my reading too .. but it's well worth it.

It's completely taken over my life! I can't believe I can't watch everything that on - not enough hours in the day :( Athletics starts today!!! :exc: I'm sure if I didn't have to work, I could fit everything else in ;)

Don't worry Claire I have ground to a halt .

Hope you get back on track soon James. I've still got some whoppers to come though, so I'm sure you'll catch up soon. :smile2:

The Olympics haven't exactly impacted on my reading instead I end up watching a variety of things until about 12 then reading until 1....whats suffering is my work (especially when I have the olympics on at the same time) :D

Have just finished The Year Of The Death Of Ricardo Reis by José Saramago. Incredible writer, and so unique in his style, and a great read. Will need to think about it before I write a review, although I'm a few behind now anyway.

Down to single figures on the TBR now ...

When I started this challenge to blitz my TBR shelf, I had three Sebastian Faulks books to read. The first I tried was A Week In December which I didn't get on with, and so the other two are finding themselves moving further and further down the list, but there comes a time when all books on that shelf must be read, and Human Traces time has come.

The book follows Jacques Rebière and Thomas Midwinter from their early meeting as teenagers both interested in medicine and the mind, through their education and on to their careers during the early years of the development of psychiatry and psychology, taking them to London, Paris and Vienna.

I'm finding it really difficult to put into words how I felt about this book. I loved reading it, found it a compelling read, but I can't put my finger on why. It's well written, well plotted, and I loved the way through the early chapters the story alternated between the two main characters. The subject matter is intriguing and although I've seen some reviews by critics which didn't appreciate some of the long passages about the brain and the investigative nature of this area of medicine, but it was actually very interesting to read, as I remember when reading Saturday by Ian McEwan where the main characters was a neurosurgeon, and found the detailed description of brain surgery in full on medical terms quite tedious to read.

It's been almost two weeks since I read it now, at the time, I sang its praises, but now I'm not sure what to say really, a good read, very compelling, but just hasn't made a big enough impact to remain with me.

The Infinite Book by John D. Barrow, a Mathematics professor at Cambridge University is all about infinity, how the concept first came about, what we mean by it, and how relevant it is to modern science, mathematics and astronomy, plus some of the less obvious subjects such as mythology and philosophy.

Despite the fact that I love maths, I only studied to A level standard, so I always approach the popular science genre books relating to maths with slight trepidation, as I worry they may be beyond me. I needn't have worried before starting The Infinite Book as Barrow writes simply but without patronising, coherently and with enthusiasm, which makes for an entertaining and educating read.

There were chapters I did struggle with, and those were the ones dedicated to cosmology. I have to admit, as much as I love maths, when it comes to astronomy and cosmology, the concepts I struggle with. It's not that I don't understand them, but I find it very overwhelming to realise how small I am, we are, and this planet Earth we call home is, and how our whole lives are less than the blink of an eye in terms of the lifetime in the universe. But that is a very personal opinion about those sections of the book, and I'm sure anyone who gets to grips with those concepts would enjoy those chapters too.

On the whole then, a fascinating subject written with a light hearted enough touch to deliver knowledge in an entertaining read.

I'll get ready to hoist the flag and play the national anthem. :)

Yep sounds like a good idea! You are an inspiration Claire, I actually walked past Waterstone's this afternoon :0 ... It'll be your fault though when they go into administration! :giggle2:

I'm glad you enjoyed Human Traces Claire, even if not quite as much as I did, I think it did help that I'd not long since been a psychology student when I read it and that I have always been interested in the human mind, I got so absorbed in the story, especially when it spoke of the poor poor people who were incarcerated into the asylums and who had no hope of ever getting proper help until for most of them it was too late... I really should read it again some time and see if it still has the same affect on me.

I'll get ready to hoist the flag and play the national anthem. :)

Yep sounds like a good idea! You are an inspiration Claire, I actually walked past Waterstone's this afternoon :0 ... It'll be your fault though when they go into administration! :giggle2:

I shall look forward to my medal ceremony :giggle2: I don't think there's any danger of Waterstone's going out of business at the moment - all those 50 Shades of Grey readers are more than making up for our combined non-purchases! :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed Human Traces Claire, even if not quite as much as I did, I think it did help that I'd not long since been a psychology student when I read it and that I have always been interested in the human mind, I got so absorbed in the story, especially when it spoke of the poor poor people who were incarcerated into the asylums and who had no hope of ever getting proper help until for most of them it was too late... I really should read it again some time and see if it still has the same affect on me.

I'm definitely glad I read it, and I found it very emotional at times - I remember weeping at the end of the first chapter when

Jacques has to chain his brother up in the stable

. It just hasn't stayed with me enough to make it a really outstanding book. Definitely worth a read though, and I've still got Birdsong of his to come soon. :)

The Infinite Book sounds fascinating, I need to read it!

Glad you like the sound of it, Mona - hope you enjoy it too :)

I'm sure that macaroon helped Claire :D .. macaroons are well known for increasing concentration :D

Of course - almonds are nuts and therefore have a great nutritional content, so macaroons must be practically a health food!

(Although I always remember that classic line from Robbie The Reindeer, "You are what you eat. Mmmm, nuts!" :lol:)

Edited by chesilbeach

Of course - almonds are nuts and therefore have a great nutritional content, so macaroons must be practically a health food!

(Although I always remember that classic line from Robbie The Reindeer, "You are what you eat. Mmmm, nuts!" :lol:)

:D I love Robbie the Reindeer :) Hmmm you are what you eat? I'm invisaging myself as a big block of butter with a potato head, Twix arms and baguette legs .. I'm looking rather attractive actually :)