LauraLoves Reads 2012

lauraloves

Confessions of a Demented Housewife - Niamh Greene

9781844881369.jpg

Started - 27/6/12

Finished - 3/7/12

Format - paperback book

Synopsis - When Susie's maiden aunt gives her a housekeeping journal, she expects Susie to use it for jotting down nutritious recipes and planning household budgets. But Susie has more important things on her mind ...

... Like how to keep sane while trying to control a four-year-old diva who thinks she's Judy Garland, as well as a thrill-seeking toddler with a death wish. Not to mention managing a demanding husband who expects a home-cooked meal at least once a fortnight and inconsiderate parents who seem to think luxury spa breaks are more important than spending time with their grandchildren. On top of that, there's the small matter of the Lone Father at the children's play group who is clearly smitten and Susie's passing interest in Posh'n'Becks, Wayne and Colleen, Brad'n'Jen'n'Angelina ...

Susie's journal chronicles a hectic year in the life of a stay at home mother, whose one ambition is to possess an outfit that is free of snot stains.

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my shelf from 2010, where i brought the book for my mum as a present. After she had read the book she gave it back to me and thats where it has stayed for the last couple of years.

This book is a year in the life of Susie, a stay at home mum with two young children. It goes through arguements with her husband, whether her husband is going off her, best friend fallouts and make ups, mother and baby groups, and various children type accidents and life events.

This book was quite funny in places, i did laugh out loud at a couple of parts, like some of the bitchyness that went on at the mother and baby group. I really hope that this sort of thing doesnt actually go on like it in real life, but this part of the book was quite funny.

For me this book was a little bit like if Bridget Jones got married and had two children. Susie always seems to get all the bad luck and everything happens to her and nobody else. This was good at the start, but towards the end it got a little bit samey and it was a little bit predictable as to what would happen next.

Susie starts to think her husband is having an affair with his new assistant and ends up having feelings for somebody else during the book, now i know that this sort of thing happens, but for me it just didnt seem realistic and this part of the book put me off a little bit.

This isnt my first book by this author ive read a couple of others, and they are fun and chick lit. Perfect for a bit of beach reading or a bit of an escape. Maybe i would have enjoyed the book a bit more if i was like Susie, a stay at home mum, but i couldnt always identify with her. There is a follow up book to this one, but i dont think ill read anymore. I think this book would appeal to stay at home mums, but not me . . . yet!

Rating - 3/5

Edited by lauraloves

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chocolate Lovers Club - Carole Matthews

2009_uk_the_chocolate_lovers_club_120x170.jpg

Started - 3/7/12

Finished - 6/7/12

Format - Paperback Book

Synopsis - THE CHOCOLATE LOVERS' CLUB brings together four very different women with one thing in common: they can't resist chocolate. This is an irresistible novel for anyone who wishes they were a member!

Lucy Lombard can't resist it - rich, creamy, sweet, delicious chocolate. For her there's nothing it won't cure - from heartache to a headache - and she’s not alone. Sharing her passion are three other addicts: Autumn, Nadia and Chantal. Together they form The Chocolate Lovers’ Club. They meet in their sanctuary, Chocolate Heaven, as often as they can, and with a cheating boyfriend who promises he’ll change, a flirtatious boss, a gambling husband and a loveless marriage, there’s always plenty to discuss…

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my shelf for a couple of years and its only now that I've got around to reading it. This book is about Lucy, a temp stuck in a job that she doesnt really like, apart from her boss, crush, and has one major chocolate addiction. Along with her three chocolate loving friends Autumn, Nadia and Chantal they are The Chocolate Lovers Club.

All the girls have various life problems, Lucy has a boyfriend that just keeps on hurting her and she just cant let go of him, Autumn has a brother with lots of problems, mainly drugs, Nadia has a husband that is addicted to gambling and Chantal has a husband that just doesnt seem to love her anymore. These parts of the books were so funny and i would think that a lot of people could relate to these serious life issues.

I also liked how the different stories all kind of mingled into one and it keeped jumping between different characters to tell their part of the story. I liked this as it kept twisting and turning andit really kept my interest in the book.

Carole Matthews is one of my favourite authors ever, her books are always fun and flirty, but with a serious message behind them, which is exactly what this book is, fun flirty chick lit, perfect for a summer beach read.

I dont normally read chick lit sequels, but this has a follow up book and I'm definitaly going to get my hands on this book.

Rating - 4/5

Magical Quotes and Words of Wisdom From Harry Potter - Samuel Penny

51mWSfofL8L._SS130_.jpg

Started - 1/7/12

Finished - 8/7/12

Format - Kindle e-book

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book from the kindle store earlier in the year, but having gone back to link to the synopsis, its no longer a book on Amazon. I'm not sure if its been taken off, or whether its my links not working properly.

This book is basically a collection of different moments from the Harry Potter books. There is one quote per kindle page and at times they are funny, sometimes sad, sometimes ones to make you think. Also thrown in are several quotes from the author, J. K. Rowling. I found these parts quite fascinating as she doesnt all that often speak about her books and little hidden information about the plot and characters.

To be honest, this book was ok, but as it was just a load of moments from the Harry Potter series out of context, it did get a little boring towards the end. I am a massive massive Harry Potter fan, these books are the reason that i have got so much into reading, but for me the book needed some more explainations, maybe putting the quotes into context or explaining a bit about them.

I did like this book, but i think its one to dip in and out of. I'm a little bit torn as to who to recommend them too as Harry Potter fans might not like the whole out of context thing, and those that have never read Harry Potter might not understand the quotes and why some of them are so powerful. Still, this book was free and im quite glad i didnt pay money for it, as i already have the quotes in context in the series.

Rating - 3/5

My House Looks Like A Fairyland Crime Scene - Ed Ergenzinger

514e6GHKjyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-59,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started - 8/7/12

Finished - 14/7/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - The female to male ratio in my house is 3:1. I am reminded of this fact every time I empty the lint trap of the dryer - the wad of lint is always some shade of pink. Light pink, hot pink, grey-pink ... pink is always in there.

In addition to being a dad, a husband, and a general goofball, I am a former scientist turned attorney who likes to write, paint, draw, and cook. I am overnourished, athletically challenged, and crowd-phobic. I have been known to do Wii Fit with a bourbon and coke in one hand. I check Facebook like a junkie takes a hit.

These are my stories.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on the kindle store. This book is about a dad of two young daughters and this book is his memoirs. To me this book was very raw in the way that it was written. It seemed that he had poured everything into writing this book and as it is about his life it seems like he has spent an awful long time writing it.

At times this book was very funny, the author went into detail about his life with his young daughters and how he explained it, it came across very funny. For example he lists a chapter on top tips to cope with young daughter and this part was quite funny.

This book was quite short and to be honest id have liked it to go on a bit more. Also, it did jump about a little bit, i would have thought that it would have read a little bit better.

I dont really have all that much to say on this book, i enjoyed it, but im glad that i downloaded it when it was free.

Rating - 3/5

Customers Say The Stupidest Things - Adam

Started - 14/7/12

Finished - 14/7/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - I have only worked in a shop for about three years now, but I have heard some of the weirdest things in my time there.

For clarity, the shop I work in sells newspapers, magazines, books and stationary and is on a high street in England. For privacy and legal reasons, I will not reveal the name of the company I work for, and I won’t reveal my full name.

My first name is Adam, and I’m happy to help...

Customer: “Do you sell sandwiches?”

Me: “No, sorry.”

Customer: “Yeah you do.”

Me: “I’m sorry, we don’t. You must have us confused with another branch. Some of them do have cafes.”

Customer: “Well, I’m not moving ‘till I get a sandwich. I want a sandwich”

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as i used to work in retail and to be honest some of the questions that people used to ask me used to make me question humanity at times! Also, the attitude of some customers (not all) was also quite bad. I thought that this book would have been funny and also id be able to relate to the quotes.

This book is a very short book of quotes. When i downloaded it i should have paid more attention to the reviews on amazon, as its only rated one star. To be honest i agree with those reviews. it was not funny in the slightest, at times it was silly and i just didnt feel like it was a good book at all. the font was also really big for a kindle book, which kind of padded it out more than it needed too.

The only good thing for me about this book was its only about 50 pages long and i read it in one sitting. i do feel quite sad about this book as i really thought it had the promise to be really good, but unfortunatly it just wasnt.

Rating - 1/5

The Opposite of Fate - Amy Tan

I can't believe I never got around to reading your review! :blush: I've just had so much on my plate lately that I'm really behind on things on the forum.

A great review, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the book, too! And I can't wait to read The Joy Luck Club with you and chesilbeach, and other possible enthusiasts! (Although I still have one chapter to go on The Opposite of Fate :blush: I can't even remember why I never got around to actually finishing the book, especially when I was loving reading it!)

What's funny and weird to me, is that all three of us have never read any fictional books by Tan, we all started to read the memoir without any knowledge of her as an author :D

I can't believe I never got around to reading your review! :blush: I've just had so much on my plate lately that I'm really behind on things on the forum.

A great review, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the book, too! And I can't wait to read The Joy Luck Club with you and chesilbeach, and other possible enthusiasts! (Although I still have one chapter to go on The Opposite of Fate :blush: I can't even remember why I never got around to actually finishing the book, especially when I was loving reading it!)

What's funny and weird to me, is that all three of us have never read any fictional books by Tan, we all started to read the memoir without any knowledge of her as an author :D

hehe dont worry about it, im really behind on forum stuff too, i do wish that life wouldnt get in the way so much. Thanks, i did that too, i put the book down and read a bit on my kindle and then i kind of struggled to pick it up again, even though like you i loved it while i was reading it.

I'm so looking forward to The Joy Luck Club, I've already checked and its available for kindle so i'll be reading it on there, nothing like being keen hehe!

It is strange that us three have started with the book about her books first, but im thinking i might go back and re-read bits of The Opposite of Fate after ive read The Joy Luck Club.

Hope you manage to finish the book soon :)

hehe dont worry about it, im really behind on forum stuff too, i do wish that life wouldnt get in the way so much. Thanks, i did that too, i put the book down and read a bit on my kindle and then i kind of struggled to pick it up again, even though like you i loved it while i was reading it.

We should get an extra 10 hours on a day for the forum stuff and reading, just so we could keep up :giggle2:

I'm so looking forward to The Joy Luck Club, I've already checked and its available for kindle so i'll be reading it on there, nothing like being keen hehe!

It is strange that us three have started with the book about her books first, but im thinking i might go back and re-read bits of The Opposite of Fate after ive read The Joy Luck Club.

Hope you manage to finish the book soon :)

Happy to hear you already know how and where to acquire your copy, I've had the book on my TBR for a few years now so I'm also ready to go when chesilbeach has reached zero TBR. Can't wait! :smile2:

I totally understand you wanting to go back to The Opposite of Faith after TJLC, it's a book you want to dip into every now and then. I'm actually considering that when I get to reading it again, I might actually read it from the start, because it was so good, and this time just finish it, too :)

We should get an extra 10 hours on a day for the forum stuff and reading, just so we could keep up :giggle2:

Happy to hear you already know how and where to acquire your copy, I've had the book on my TBR for a few years now so I'm also ready to go when chesilbeach has reached zero TBR. Can't wait! :smile2:

I totally understand you wanting to go back to The Opposite of Faith after TJLC, it's a book you want to dip into every now and then. I'm actually considering that when I get to reading it again, I might actually read it from the start, because it was so good, and this time just finish it, too :)

Hehe, would should do, or be allowed to go on the forum at work! Id love that because i have so much time sat at work doing nothing i could use my time better by going on the forum hehe :)

I keep looking at it on amazon and keep almost buying it, but i wont as of yet as i dont want the temptation of reading it yet either hehe

Thats a good idea starting again from the start as i think once you get going again you should be a reading machine with it :)

The Chocolate Lovers Club - Carole Matthews

I have often seen this about and it has always interested me. I'm not really into chick lit or anything but this seems like it could be fun. I enjoyed your review and I will hopefully get round to reading the book at some point :) The fact that you read in a short space of time appeals to me if I ever fancy a quick and easy book (which I often do). :)

Oooh I've just noticed you're reading Bram Stoker's Dracula! I would love to know what you think of it so far, I read it for my Alevel :)

Edited by Hanananah

I have often seen this about and it has always interested me. I'm not really into chick lit or anything but this seems like it could be fun. I enjoyed your review and I will hopefully get round to reading the book at some point :) The fact that you read in a short space of time appeals to me if I ever fancy a quick and easy book (which I often do). :)

Oooh I've just noticed you're reading Bram Stoker's Dracula! I would love to know what you think of it so far, I read it for my Alevel :)

I really enjoyed The Chocolate Lovers Club, so much so that ive just brought the sequel, The Chocolate Lovers Diet. I'm not really into chick lit anymore either, but this book was very good :) Hope you get round to it one day :)

Well, Dracula! I am enjoying this book so much. Its the first time a book has kind of scared me, but in a good way, not in a want to put the book down way! I love the different characters perspective and the fact that its written in letters and diary entries. I'm about halfway through now and i cant wait to pick it up again! What did you think to it?

I really enjoyed The Chocolate Lovers Club, so much so that ive just brought the sequel, The Chocolate Lovers Diet. I'm not really into chick lit anymore either, but this book was very good :) Hope you get round to it one day :)

Well, Dracula! I am enjoying this book so much. Its the first time a book has kind of scared me, but in a good way, not in a want to put the book down way! I love the different characters perspective and the fact that its written in letters and diary entries. I'm about halfway through now and i cant wait to pick it up again! What did you think to it?

I'm glad you're enjoying it :D like you it was the first book that's ever really scared me :P I pretty much agree with everything you said above. It's one of my favourite classics, it's so well wriiten and put together. I've only read it twice so far and I enjoyed it even more on the second read through :) I plan to read it again at some point as I love it so much. You're only half way through? You have so much to look forward to with the second half :P

I'm glad you're enjoying it :D like you it was the first book that's ever really scared me :P I pretty much agree with everything you said above. It's one of my favourite classics, it's so well wriiten and put together. I've only read it twice so far and I enjoyed it even more on the second read through :) I plan to read it again at some point as I love it so much. You're only half way through? You have so much to look forward to with the second half :P

I think its going to become one of my all time favourite classics. I'm reading it on my kindle but im going to look out for a paper copy too so ive got it in that form too :) I've just got to the part about Lucy and the tomb. i dont really want to say too much incase i give away the plot too much for others hehe :)

Across A Bridge of Dreams - Lesley Downer

bridge.jpg

Started - 6/7/12

Finished - 20/7/12

Format - Hardback Book

Synopsis - Unified after a bitter civil war, Japan is rapidly turning into a modern country with rickshaws, railways and schools for girls. Commoners can marry their children into any class, and the old hatred between north and south is over - or so it seems.

Taka is from the powerful southern Satsuma clan which now rules the country, and her father, General Kitaoka, is a leader of the new government. Nobu, however, is from the northern Aizu clan, massacred by the Satsuma in the civil war. Defeated and reduced to poverty, his family has sworn revenge on the Satsuma.

Taka and Nobu's love is unacceptable to both their families and must be kept secret, but what they cannot foresee is how quickly the tables will turn. Many southern samurai become disillusioned with the new regime, which has deprived them of their swords, status and honour. Taka's father abruptly leaves Tokyo and returns to the southern island of Kyushu, where trouble is brewing.

When he and his clansmen rise in rebellion, the government sends its newly-created army to put them down. Nobu and his brothers have joined this army, and his brothers now see their chance of revenge on the Satsuma. But Nobu will have to fight and maybe kill Taka's father and brother, while Taka now has to make a terrible choice: between her family and the man she loves...

My Thoughts - I read this book as part of the Historical Hardback Reading Challenge from the publishers Transworld. I picked this book as i love books set in Japan, after falling in love after reading Memoirs of a Geisha.

This book is about Taka, the daughter of a general in the army and a former geisha. To start with her life is fairly comfortable, until herself and her mother are attacked in a tea house. A young man steps in to defend them, and it is here that we meet Nobu. He manages to fight off the attacker and in return gets a job as a 'servant' carrying Takas books about for her. They quickly become friends, however there is one big problem, Taka and Nobu are from different clans, warring clans and would never ever be aloud to be together.

I liked the massive change in culture that is discribed in this book, its kind of a modernisation of Japan and i thought that this came across very well in the book. However Japan was still a bit of a traditional country as Taka had to get her maid to take letters to and from Nobu and not take them herself.

I liked how the book was spilt into sections and followed a number of years. For me this made the book span like a proper love story and really made me enjoy the story more. I also liked how it told the story from both Taka and Nobu's point of veiw and even though this meant telling certain events twice, it really made me understand the characters more.

During the book it kind of went from a riches to rags story with Taka, i felt that this was well done with the approach of the war. The war at the end of the book was my favourite part and i couldnt put this book down towards the end.

This book is a kind of Romeo and Juilet book set in Japan. I loved reading it and really enjoyed emmersing myself in Japanese culture.

Rating - 4/5

I haven't read Dracula yet, but I'm hoping to read it this autumn. Looking forward to it!

I haven't read Dracula yet, but I'm hoping to read it this autumn. Looking forward to it!

Its brilliant, very easy to get into and very easy to read. I'm hooked on it and cant wait to read more :)

Across A Bridge of Dreams sounds really interesting, Laura, and a great review. :smile2: Another added to my wishlist ;)

it was a brilliant read, really fascinating :) Your wishlist must be at quite a high number by now :)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

wizard-of-oz-book.jpg

Started - 20/7/12

Finished - 25/7/12

Format - Hardback Book

Challenges - Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge

1001 Childrens Books You Must Read

Synopsis - One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

My Thoughts - I've owned this book for years and years and its always sat on my shelf. I read this once when i was a lot younger and i thought that i woud read it again now that im older. I was hoping that i enjoyed the story as much as i did as a child.

This book is the story of Dorothy, who lives in Kansas. It is the most boring grey place and she doesnt really like living there. Then during a cyclone Dorothy and her dog Toto are swept away to a place called Oz. This is the most brightly coloured land and it is there that she meets her new friends, the brainless scarecrow, the tin woodman with not heart and the lion with no courage. Together they want to go to see The Wizard of Oz to ask for the things that they want.

Now i felt that parts of this book was quite scary for a child and sometimes quite shocking. for example, the flying monkeys and the wicked witch. As a child this really scared me and i think that this is what put me off reading it again when i was younger. I also felt that when Dorothy was asked to kill the witch it was a little bit shocking. Its not like modern stories and for a little girl to have to kill somebody, it just didnt sit right with me.

However, i did enjoy the story and the journey through the land of Oz. I really got into the story and really fell in love with the characters. I loved the cowerdly lion i think he was my favourite character. I think that there was an important message behind this book with the no brains, heart or courage. I think its kind of like the lion already had his courage he just needed to believe that he already had it.

The only problem i had with this is the musical that was made based on the book. I kept getting 'follow the yellow brick road' stuck in my head at various points of the story.

This is a very enjoyable read, not only for children but for adults too.

Rating - 4/5

it was a brilliant read, really fascinating :) Your wishlist must be at quite a high number by now :)

Just looking at my Kindle wishlist, it's up around the 250 mark, plus I've got a handwritten list somewhere for paperbacks which aren't available on Kindle (or I want a proper book version) and that's about 150. I'm not sure I'll ever get the wishlist down to a small number, but it doesn't matter, as once I've read my TBR, I'll just be able to pick and choose whatever I want.

Just looking at my Kindle wishlist, it's up around the 250 mark, plus I've got a handwritten list somewhere for paperbacks which aren't available on Kindle (or I want a proper book version) and that's about 150. I'm not sure I'll ever get the wishlist down to a small number, but it doesn't matter, as once I've read my TBR, I'll just be able to pick and choose whatever I want.

At least its a wishlist, not books that you have committed to reading :) Just seen on your reading thread that you are down to single figures :) well done you :)

The Dresskeeper - Mary Naylus

dresskeeper2.png

Started - 25/7/12

Finished - 31/7/12

Format - paperback book

Synopsis - This title is suitable for children of ages 12 years & over. When Picky's Mum forces her to look after Gran, who has dementia, Picky is accidentally transported back to the year 1685, where a man in a wig insists she is someone called Amelia and tries to kill her. Managing to get the dress off just in time, Picky returns to the present with the dress covered in blood. Who is Amelia? Is she dead? Will wearing the other dresses in the chest take Picky back in time too? And does she dare put herself in danger again?

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my shelf for a long time and ive really been looking forward to reading it for a long time. This is a young adult book, suitable for the younger side of the scale too. Its about a girl called Picky, who is a typical teenage girl. She is bullied at school, something that lots of people can identify with, her father isnt really interested in her and she has to look after her Gran who has dementia too.

It is one weekend at her Grans that Picky puts on a dress and is transported back in time, into somebody elses life. Its here that she ends up in the middle of a mystery that she is determined to solve.

I enjoyed this book, it was refreshing to read a young adult book that didnt revolve around the paranormal. I liked how the book not only focused on the back in time part, but also Pickys life in the 'future' if you like. I felt that many younger readers could identify with her in this part, weather it be being part of a single parent household or being bullied at school.

I also enjoyed the back in time part. I felt that it was quite acurate and also interesting at the same time for those that might not have studied this particular time period. I liked how the mystery part unfolded, i did however guess what was going to happen, but i suppose thats what i get for being older than the target audience.

This book is very good, great for both young adult and older readers. I would have liked a follow up book as the ending was left open, but as of yet there is not one. A very enjoyable book to read.

Rating - 3.5/5

Dracula - Bram Stoker

41wpu%2BXKLAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Started - 14/7/12

Finished - 5/8/12

Format - Kindle e-book

Challenges - BBC Top 200 Books

1001 Books To Read

Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

501 Must Read Books

World Book Night 2012 List

Synopsis - 'The door is shut, and the chains rattle; there is a grinding of the key in the lock; I hear the creaking of lock and bolt...I shall not remain alone with them. I may find a way from this dreadful place, away from this cursed spot, from this cursed land, where the devil and his children still walk with earthly feet!'

Young lawyer Jonathan Harker travels to Transylvania on business for a mysterious Count. Months later in England, beautiful Lucy Westenra falls ill and dies, inexplicably, as if from a severe loss of blood. Lucy's friends, including Jonathan's fiancée Mina and the intrepid doctor Van Helsing, must begin a desperate battle against a powerful, ancient evil, in Bram Stoker's definitive gothic tale.

My Thoughts - Dracula must be one of those books that everyone is familar with, even if they have not read the story. I downloaded this onto my kindle the day i got it, as there were so many classic books that i just hadnt read.

The book takes the form of diary entries, letters and other simular writings between the main characters in the story. For me, I really liked this and i felt that it helped the story. There was nothing left out and at times it was easy to forget the format of the book as so much detail was gained.

The book starts with Jonathan Harker who travels out to visit Count Dracula in his castle and to arrange him moving over to England. It is here that we get the first encounter with Dracula himself, and as apperances go he does seem quite normal in the begining. However, towards the end of this part of the book Draculas colours are reveiled. One scene really scared me, him crawling down a wall, and this is the first time that a book has scared me, however it was scary in a good way.

We are also introduced to the other main characters, Mina, Lucy, John Quincy and Arthur. These are the main characters that the letters and the diary entries come from. There was also lots of changes in the narrator and i liked how quickly this changed and how good it was to get a difference of opinion at times. The other character is Dr Van Helsing, who i didnt know was actually a character from Dracula. This was a nice surprise for me. To start with i was a little unsure as to how all the characters would fit together, but once they did it all made sense.

What eventually happens to Lucy, and i dont want to say if others havent read it, really did affect me in a way. I desparatley didnt want it to happen, but i can see why it did for the sake of the book. This enabled the latter part of the book to pan out and have an introduction to it.

The final part of the book was good, the hunt for Dracula and what to do with him once they caught him. I liked the journey and also all the parts with Mina. This for me made the book so brilliant. However i did think that the ending was a little bit quick and id have liked to read more and more.

I think the best part of this book is that Dracula isnt actually in it all that much. Its the creepyness of where could he be, what would happen next and the general threat of him. I also liked his character he was so clever and almost seemed one step ahead of everyone else.

On the surface this is a long classic book, something that i will admit puts me off a book. However i got really into this book and for a person that isnt always at one with the classics that is something. And its also long, but once i got into the story i just couldnt stop reading, i was sorry when it ended. This book is fantastic, one that everyone should read, if they havent already!

Rating - 5/5