Frankie reads 2012

frankie

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Janet (and anyone else who is thinking of watching it), I would recommend Blackadder II and Blackadder Goes Forth - avoid the first series, The Black Adder, and you can try Black Adder the Third, but it's nowhere near as good as two or four.

As long as everyone agrees Four Weddings and a Funeral is the best, I'm happy, but you'll never convince me that Love Actually is better than Notting Hill! :lol:

Janet (and anyone else who is thinking of watching it), I would recommend Blackadder II and Blackadder Goes Forth - avoid the first series, The Black Adder, and you can try Black Adder the Third, but it's nowhere near as good as two or four.

I think that was frankie - I have the box set. :) My favourites are also II and Goes Forth (the last episode of this is my all-time favourite episode for obvious reasons), but I do have a soft spot for the original one too. Three is my least favourite. :)

He was good in Spartacus :D

Are you trying to get me to watch Spartacus? Go on, tell me, what's the catch?! :hide:

John Hannah in Sliding Doors ... :wub: I really need to watch Sliding Doors again sometime. I haven't watched it since VHR was made useless. Some years ago!

Hi. My name is Marcia and I've never seen Notting Hill, Love Actually or Black Adder.

You must watch Love Actually! You'll love it! :smile2: There's Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, um.... did I already say Colin Firth??

ETA: Ooooh and Laura Linney!

Oh, and weird is GOOD!

It is :D

You'll have to enlighten me - I have no idea why Irvine Welsh would write about Bernard!

ETA: Train Spotting! D'oh!

:D Wohoo! I managed to make a UK related joke that a UK member didn't first get!

Sorry Jänet :giggle:

All English is good even if its crap . 4 weddings was better than than Notting Hill though. Peace is your name really Marcia? OMG who knew?

Everybody knew :D And surely not all English is good. *thinks hard* ... I'll have to get back to you on that!

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that, IMHO, some English stuff is overrated. I like Absolutely Fabulous just fine, but I can't understand the need for all the reruns. Same with Little Britain. They could show Black Books for a change, or Trial & Retribution. That's the stuff!

But will I get the plot, the characters and the inside jokes if I haven't watched The Black Adder first?

As long as everyone agrees Four Weddings and a Funeral is the best, I'm happy, but you'll never convince me that Love Actually is better than Notting Hill!

*hums* I'm not saying anything :D

Love Actually has all the different types of Love in it thats tha point, Unrequited Platonic etc no contest

Plus, only all the best actors there are.

:D Wohoo! I managed to make a UK related joke that a UK member didn't first get!

Sorry Jänet :giggle:

You certainly did! No need to apologise! :D

I have neither read nor seen ('Roland Butter' will be proud of me! :P ) Trainspotting! Maybe I'm missing out, but it doesn't appeal to me.

You certainly did! No need to apologise! :D

I have neither read nor seen ('Roland Butter' will be proud of me! :P ) Trainspotting! Maybe I'm missing out, but it doesn't appeal to me.

If it doesn't appeal to you, I certainly don't see any reason for you to read it or watch it. I don't usually like druggy stories, myself, I wouldn't go for them these days (and before Brian says anything, Junky by William S. Burroughs is different because it's Burroughs :D). But I was a teen when the movie was released and back then it must've seemed all 'forbidden fruit' and of course we had to go and watch it. And then Ewan McGregor was the appealing factor for all the re-watching :blush: I've grown out of that, though, I can't stand the chap nowadays.

And the book's just a special re-read. The drug parts don't appeal, but the different kinds of friendships. :)

Are you trying to get me to watch Spartacus? Go on, tell me, what's the catch?! :hide:

No catch, I really enjoyed it. Takes 4 or 5 episodes to find its stride but, once John Hannah's and Lucy Lawless's characters take centre stage, it gets surprisingly good :smile:

But will I get the plot, the characters and the inside jokes if I haven't watched The Black Adder first?

You most certainly will .. they had a radical rethink after Black Adder 1 (as it wasn't exactly a hit) and the character of Blackadder himself changed considerably along with nearly everything else. It bears very little resemblance to the rest of the series so starting at 2 is the best option. Series 1 wasn't very good at all.

Yes, absolutely. You can watch each series individually without having to know anything about the other series as far as I'm concerned. I really can't think of any inside jokes that follow on between the series.

Edit: Oops, didn't realise there was another post on the next page :blush:, but what Poppyshake says is right. She knows what she's talking about!

Edited by chesilbeach

Yes, absolutely. You can watch each series individually without having to know anything about the other series as far as I'm concerned. I really can't think of any inside jokes that follow on between the series.

Edit: Oops, didn't realise there was another post on the next page :blush:, but what Poppyshake says is right. She knows what she's talking about!

Thanks for confirming that anyways, the more... agreeing opinions.. the merrier? :D I'm sure that's not how it was intended but you get the point :smile2:

I've just learned that they are starting re-runs of the Sherlock series (the new one) the day after tomorrow, they are showing season 1 and the new season 2 (which apparently hasn't been aired on here before) right after that.

This is one of the shows that everybody keeps talking about. I don't mind Sherlock, I don't mind murder mysteries, but for some reason I got really tired of all the hype and chose not to watch it, if the show ever aired in Finland. Then it was shown here and some of my Finnish friends have absolutely loved it, too. And when they hear I've never seen it, they urge me to watch it.

So. If you know me and know my tastes, go ahead and tell me if you think I might really like the show. I'm torn myself. Surely it must be good if so many people enjoy it, but then again, I didn't like True Blood the TV series, eventhough I really wanted to. Should I just embrace my stubborness and not watch, or open my mind to another new thing.

It's sooo good Frankie, I would definitely say watch it. It's better than (and very different to) True Blood. If you watch it and hate it you can gloat about how right you were to be sceptical and if you watch it and love it then you'll have allowed something wonderful into your life. It's a total win win :)

It's sooo good Frankie, I would definitely say watch it. It's better than (and very different to) True Blood. If you watch it and hate it you can gloat about how right you were to be sceptical and if you watch it and love it then you'll have allowed something wonderful into your life. It's a total win win :)

Oh yes, I didn't mean to compare it to True Blood in itself, it's just that it's as hyped a show as True Blood has been on here and everybody recommended that show to everyone, and I was really bummed I didn't enjoy it (eventhough I love the books). So I'm worried that maybe this might be another show everyone else 'gets', but not me.

I love your view on the win win situation, though :D But I just don't want to alienate any people by saying I've watched the show and disliked it. I know that should never be a deal breaker and it really isn't, but ... Oh what the heck. They can go and think I'm loopy as much as they want to :giggle:

As far as TB goes I think it's a lot more niche than Sherlock. Sherlock is a really accessible. And pooh - who would be alienated? In any case you don't have to TELL anyone you've seen it :P

*chants and claps* Watch it, watch it, watch it :D

As far as TB goes I think it's a lot more niche than Sherlock. Sherlock is a really accessible. And pooh - who would be alienated? In any case you don't have to TELL anyone you've seen it :P

*chants and claps* Watch it, watch it, watch it :D

Eventhough I haven't seen Sherlock, I have to agree that I think TB is a lot more niche. Good point, Andrea, I didn't think of that before you said it.

As for alienating people by letting them on that I've watched it and disliked it, well... sometimes I can't keep my darn mouth shut :giggle2:

:I-Agree::she::yeahthat::ditto:

:giggle2:

Hello Janet, I take it that you feel very strongly about this and agree with what Andrea's been saying, eh? :lol:

I was actually hoping you'd see my post, because I have a specific question, specifically for you. You and I like David Mitchell, right. A lot. Well, I'm not sure how it was for you, but for me, I initially thought he looked a bit ... unusual, and not my type. Then I totally fell in love with his character on Peep Show and then I started hearing all these great things about the real Mitchell.

With Sherlock, I can't see the attraction in the leading man, and yet I know a lot of women are gushing over him. Do you think it might be the same thing as with David Mitchell?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound superficial, but I had to ask because a part of the appeal of the series is the main character and the actor who plays him and I've personally not seen what the hype is about.