Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Tim Tams and iced VoVo's?? I don't think we have those

You can sometimes get Tim Tams over here - I've bought them from Tesco in the past, but they have this annoying habit of letting you get used to buying something then making it a discontinued line :irked: but they do appear every now and again. The caramel ones are my favourites but the original Tim Tams are very similar to Penguins, so we'll have to introduce you to our own version, frankie! :)

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can sometimes get Tim Tams over here - I've bought them from Tesco in the past, but they have this annoying habit of letting you get used to buying something then making it a discontinued line :irked: but they do appear every now and again. The caramel ones are my favourites but the original Tim Tams are very similar to Penguins, so we'll have to introduce you to our own version, frankie! :)

I'm down for that! :) When you say we, do you mean 'we' as in yourself included? :giggle: Because there might be chance to spot Kylie and me in the UK next year... ;):giggle2:

Well, if you're anywhere near my neck of the woods , I'd love to meet the awesome twosome! I'll definitely bring Penguins with me :lol:

Hurraah! I have an idea we might be somewhere relatively close to where you live, because we are going to meet poppyshake and I know you two have met :smile2: Hm, I wonder who would come and bring Hob Nobs for me, I haven't had those in years. And I wonder what I could bring, that would actually survive Kylie attack at the Heathrow airport.... :giggle2: I'm gonna get such a bollocking from Kylie for this :giggle:

Ooo, you're in for a treat! There are five different varieties of Hobnobs - Original, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Vanilla Cream and Chocolate Cream - we'll need a picnic basket at this rate :lol:

Oh dear, for a moment I thought the original was just the cookie without the chocolate and I thought hell no, I want chocolate on mine :D I believe I might have to do some sampling :giggle: Do you know what would be great? I reckon we might do a meeting where everyone can come if they are available, and everybody could bring a little something, just like on a picnic, and maybe books for swap! How cool would that be?!

anyone want to shout me a plane ticket for this event? :giggle:

Edited by Devi

anyone want to shout me a plane ticket for this event? :giggle:

I'm sure we all want to shout, but the problem might be the dough! If I was a multimillionaire I'd send you a private plane to pick you and Kylie up! :)

Today I went to a new charityshop in town, it wasn't a room full of books like I'd heard it was supposed to be, but there were quite a few titles. Some were even in English, jolly goodness! For example I found a perfectly decent copy of The Brothers Karamazov in English but it was only the second volume and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find the first volume.

Anyhow, I got two books, I think I might've gotten a few more had I known about the prices beforehand. But they were in no way marked on the books so I didn't feel comfortable risking anything. I got This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff. I knew some title by Tobias Wolff is on my wishlist of books Nick Hornby wrote about in Polysyllabic Spree, but I also knew that it wasn't this title. However, I liked the blurb and decided to give it a go.

I also got a copy of Tolstoy's Resurrection. It didn't sound like the most interesting book Tolstoy has written, but the book is a pretty nice copy and in great condition and Tolstoy's a classic, so had to get it. Both books were 1e.

Mum bought a Henning Mankell and a Lee Child novel and this Finnish chick-littish novel :) Again, I was outbought by my parent!! :D Times they are a'changing!

Very nice. :) My Mum often out buys me too. What's the world coming to?

I don't know but it's freaking me out! I must go and buy more books. There's one secondhand shop we haven't gone to yet. Hhmmmm!

Hey frankie, please discard 'Ender's Game' from my suggestions (see here: http://forum.malazan...showtopic=23636 ) and add this one instead:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

From Amazon:

"Today we're going to show you eight silent ways to kill a man."

The Earth's leaders have drawn a line in the interstellar sand--despite the fact that the fierce alien enemy they would oppose is inscrutable, unconquerable, and very far away. A reluctant conscript drafted into an elite Military unit, Private William Mandella has been propelled through space and time to fight in the distant thousand-year conflict; to perform his duties and do whatever it takes to survive the ordeal and return home. But "home" may be even more terrifying than battle, because, thanks to the time dilation caused by space travel, Mandella is aging months while the Earth he left behind is aging centuries ...

"To say that The Forever War is the best science fiction war novel ever written is to damn it with faint praise. It is, for all its techno-extrapolative brilliance, as fine and woundingly genuine a war story as any I've read."

--William Gibson

"The Forever War is not just a great Science Fiction novel, it's a great Vietnam war novel - and a great war novel, without qualification- that is also Science Fiction. A classic to grace either genre."

--Iain M. Banks

"I first read this twenty years ago and have never forgotten the wonder and fury it kindled at the time. Anyone who talks about the glory of war has obviously never read it. A beautifully detailed and intensely personal account of a conflict which lasts for over a thousand years, as told by one grunt who lives through it all. Only a writer as skillfull and knowledgeable as Haldeman could use war's dark glamour to lure the reader in and then deploy the same fascination to show just what kind of effect this orchestrated barbarism can have on the human soul."

--Peter F. Hamilton

Makes me want to read it all over again :lol: It's one of my faves. Haldeman is a Vietnam veteran, and his feelings on the futility of it all, and the alienation upon his return, comes through loud and clear. The book does involve a war - but it's about so much more than that.

Okay, thanks for the new choice, Steve! :smile2: Sounds like a difficult one, though.

However, I'm beginning to think if I should go and try to read all the different books, to give the genre(s) a fair chance. I mean, at some point, not in succession if it seems too much for one go. I'm not promising anything, but this is what I'm wondering.

Okay, thanks for the new choice, Steve! :smile2: Sounds like a difficult one, though.

It's not, honestly. It's pretty short, too :smile:

However, I'm beginning to think if I should go and try to read all the different books, to give the genre(s) a fair chance. I mean, at some point, not in succession if it seems too much for one go. I'm not promising anything, but this is what I'm wondering.

Probably best to see how you get on with Stars first :lol:;)

I also got a copy of Tolstoy's Resurrection. It didn't sound like the most interesting book Tolstoy has written, but the book is a pretty nice copy and in great condition and Tolstoy's a classic, so had to get it. Both books were 1e.

oooooo you found a Tolstoy like I did! All though mine isn't a Leo Tolstoy but a Nikolai Tolstoy, who is actually a cousin to Leo. I can't wait to hear what you think about Resurrection when you get a chance to read it!

Edited by Devi

It's not, honestly. It's pretty short, too :smile:

The problem might be that the synopsis was packed with so much detail and it's all in your face, and it doesn't come in small snippets where I could take everything in at a nice, slow pace. When I start reading the book it will be different of course. I'll have more time to adjust. At least I hope so :D

Probably best to see how you get on with Stars first :lol:;)

I know I know :D I did say I wasn't promising anything!

oooooo you found a Tolstoy like I did! All though mine isn't a Leo Tolstoy but a Nikolai Tolstoy, who is actually a cousin to Leo. I can't wait to hear what you think about Resurrection when you get a chance to read it!

Yeah I noticed you also acquired a Tolstoy :D But I didn't know those two are actully related :) I believe Resurrection was written after Tolstoy had his religious awakening and it might be a bit different from the rest of his books, so I'm a bit apprehensive about it. But we'll see :)

I have a book package waiting for me in the post office, but the problem is it's raining! I don't have an umbrella and I don't own wellingtons. I do have a rain coat but it seems like it's really pouring down. But I wants my package :(

Is Resurrection a Zombie story Frankie? I second The Forever War it is not difficult at all but very readable, yet the concepts are very high end SciFi, and you will start to care about the characters quite quickly.

Is Resurrection a Zombie story Frankie? I second The Forever War it is not difficult at all but very readable, yet the concepts are very high end SciFi, and you will start to care about the characters quite quickly.

VF, I assume you weren't being quite serious with that question :D Or if you were, you should wiki Tolstoy :lol:

I shall look if there's a copy of The Forever War in the library.

Edit: Wow, they actually do have an English copy. It's not in the library I usually go to, but as the reserving of books is free til the end of the year, I could get it very easily. Good stuff! :)

Hey, I didn't let thieves stop me from getting my package, so don't let a bit of rain hold you back! Go get your package, woman! :D

Easy for you to say, you own a car! :( I'd have to walk and my feet would get wet.

Bah humbug ! Can't call it a proper library if it doesn't have The Forever War ... ;)

But it does! Only... it's in one of the remote libraries of the town. Not the central one :blush: I could get it by Wednesday if I reserved it now, I bet!! :yes: