Frankie reads 2012

frankie

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey now, in my own defense it's the hubby who's the Star Wars freak. :giggle2: I just, unfortunately I might add, know way more about it than I ever wanted to. :doh::P Still, squirrels dueling with light sabers is just too cute not to like! :D Or throwing lighting, or whatever it is, out of their teeny little paws. ;)

Hey now, in my own defense it's the hubby who's the Star Wars freak. :giggle2: I just, unfortunately I might add, know way more about it than I ever wanted to. :doh::P Still, squirrels dueling with light sabers is just too cute not to like! :DOr throwing lighting, or whatever it is, out of their teeny little paws. ;)

[Yoda] The Dark Side this is [/Yoda]

:giggle2:

Okay, I promise I'll be good now. :angel_not::D

So far so good :D There are no squirrels misbehaving!

The George R.R. Martin series is actually called 'A Song of Ice & Fire', but people keep calling it 'Game of Thrones' because that's what the tv series is called. It's the same thing, basically. A Storm of Swords is the third book in the series, the first two are called A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. The first and third books are great, the second book is decent, the fourth book (A Feast for Crows) is poor, and the fifth book (A Dance with Dragons) is the biggest waste of time in the history of wastes of time

Honestly, I can't believe I missed that :rolleyes: Doh!! Well whatever, I took the books back to the library today and as I'd already cancelled my reservation of the first novel in the series, I decided to reserve a copy again, and this time went for the English copy. There's only one person ahead of me in the queue, with the the Finnish one there were four people. Haa! It pays off to read in English :giggle:

I also asked the staff when they were going to get their copy of A Casual Vacancy. I know the library has ordered copies but the customer computers can't say when the books will be arriving. Unfortunately, neither could the staff members. Such a shame! They are getting three copies in English, and I'm the 8th person in the reservation queue. Later on they'll be getting 13 copies in Finnish, there are already 10 people in line, but mwhahaha, the book's not even translated yet. Again, it pays off to read in English ;)

I also had three reservations waiting for me. Another title by Inna Patrakova, the Russian/Finnish author I've been reading lately, and a DVD of Tiina series (a YA series for girls I used to read when I was a kid), and Red Dog the movie! (I didn't have time to watch it the last time I borrowed it)

Then I decided I wanted something else, non-fiction. I went to the literature studies section and got a copy of Nigel Nicolson's bio on Virginia Woolf. I also found A Writer's Diary By Virginia Woolf herself ("consists of extracts, selected by her husband Leonard Woolf, which relate to her work and life as a writer"). And I got a copy of Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King by Lisa Rogak.

Glad to hear the squirrels are behaving. I hear they're sneaky little devils, even the ones without Jedi powers. :giggle2:

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on both books regarding Virginia Woolf. Am holding off add them to the already huge wanted list until then.

Oh, I did look up the Between the Sheets one recommended and it looks good, so thank you for the recommendation. Have added that one! :D

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on both books regarding Virginia Woolf. Am holding off add them to the already huge wanted list until then.

That is, if I ever get to them. I have a few too many library loans at the moment :blush::giggle: But I hope to get to them, poppyshake's got me in the mood for Woolf!

Oh, I did look up the Between the Sheets one recommended and it looks good, so thank you for the recommendation. Have added that one! :D

Yay, I'm happy you found it appealing! :smile2: I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you get to reading it! (I also feel I need to warn you... when I read the book, I added about 20 books to my wishlist... the diaries/letters/journals of the authors discussed in the book, and some of their novels, too. It's a dangerous book to say the least! :lol:)

They are getting three copies in English, and I'm the 8th person in the reservation queue. Later on they'll be getting 13 copies in Finnish, there are already 10 people in line, but mwhahaha, the book's not even translated yet. Again, it pays off to read in English ;)

You are so evil....I love it! :D

Red Dog the movie! (I didn't have time to watch it the last time I borrowed it)

Woohoo! I haven't seen it yet either, and I borrowed it off my dad months ago (I was the one who gave it to him). I wonder if he's ever noticed it missing? Hehe.

Then I decided I wanted something else, non-fiction. I went to the literature studies section and got a copy of Nigel Nicolson's bio on Virginia Woolf. I also found A Writer's Diary By Virginia Woolf herself ("consists of extracts, selected by her husband Leonard Woolf, which relate to her work and life as a writer"). And I got a copy of Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King by Lisa Rogak.

Good haul. :) May I ask how many library books you have out at the moment? :D

I haven't done much reading lately, but I've been called up for jury duty tomorrow, so I'm going to take along a book and hopefully get some reading done (during the part where they select the jury, anyway).

You are so evil....I love it! :D

I was born evil :giggle:

Woohoo! I haven't seen it yet either, and I borrowed it off my dad months ago (I was the one who gave it to him). I wonder if he's ever noticed it missing? Hehe.

Of course he has! He's like, where the dog dang kelpie at?! :(:giggle2: Do you suppose we could watch it together, at the same time? :o

Good haul. May I ask how many library books you have out at the moment? :D

Yes you may, but must you? :blush::giggle:

I have 59 loans, six of them are CDs, two are DVDs.

I haven't done much reading lately, but I've been called up for jury duty tomorrow, so I'm going to take along a book and hopefully get some reading done (during the part where they select the jury, anyway).

Yeah I just read your FB post! I hope it's something easy and quick. I had no idea you guys had jury duty, you poor thing!

I'm having a blissful Tuesday. I've been skint for a while now, I'm expecting some money coming my way but it's not supposed to come until next week. So, today I find out that there's an extra ~300e on my account and I'm like, this is not a very good prank to pull on me if I have to give this back. It can't be mine! Turns out, though, that I hadn't received all my paychecks from the library internship yet, like I'd thought, and now I've been paid the rest.

The money's burning in my pocket.... Hello, Book Depository! How you doin'? :giggle:

Of course he has! He's like, where the dog dang kelpie at?! :(:giggle2: Do you suppose we could watch it together, at the same time? :o

I really need to see this movie, I keep looking out for it on Sky Movies but no sign yet! :(

Yes you may, but must you? :blush::giggle:

I have 59 loans, six of them are CDs, two are DVDs.

59 loans!!! :o I think we are only allowed 10 in our library!

The money's burning in my pocket.... Hello, Book Depository! How you doin'? :giggle:

Enjoy!! Do you think there may be a doggy bok purchase in there??? :)

Gym membership.....gym membership...jump.gif

Do they sell books in gyms these days?! :o How many do you get for a membership, then?

:giggle:

Chaliepud: Too bad there's no sign of Red Dog :( Maybe you could try and rent the movie somewhere?

And why would you guys only be allowed 10 loans?! That's depriving people of sophistication, entertainment, ... and a mini library of their own :giggle:

Actually, I'm thinking I should probably try and save the money. A friend's coming over this weekend and we might go out to town, and another friend is getting her professor's degree in a month and she's invited me to this shindig (in Helsinki) and I need to save money for that trip, too. Luckily there are really cheap Saturday train ticket offers, you can travel anywhere you want on a Saturday for 10e only, so I'm thinking I'd travel to Helsinki one Saturday, see all my friends there and go to the shindig and then travel back the next Saturday. Hella cheap! I could visit a few legendary secondhand bookshops while I'm there... :giggle:

Edit: The train tickets to Helsinki and back would normally cost me 64e, so I'm thinking I could use 44e on books and I'd still be in square one :giggle: Not that I'm gonna!

I'm now wondering if I should buy one book, just one teeny tiny book. Possession by A.S. Byatt. But I can't decide on the edition.

Some member on here bought a beautiful copy of this, we talked about it a few years ago, I think they bought a hardback with absolutely gorgeous illustrations... Who was it? What edition was this? Was it hella expensive? It was, wasn't it :(

Such a moronic today was this, and the bloody day's not even over yet *tired laughter*

Oh well, fortunately I went to do a bit of comfort shopping, and I'm happy to say I found three titles, two of which (at least) should be really great:

Dogs Never Lie About Love - Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (such a comfort read, just what I needed to find)

Secrets of the Flesh - A Life of Colette by Judith Thurman (this must be on the Rory list) (Colette was a pretty controversial author back in her days, should be interesting)

Music-Hall! by Gaétan Soucy (I've read one book by Soucy before, it was short but fascinating, I'm hoping this one will be fascinating as well)

I'm now wondering if I should buy one book, just one teeny tiny book. Possession by A.S. Byatt. But I can't decide on the edition.

Some member on here bought a beautiful copy of this, we talked about it a few years ago, I think they bought a hardback with absolutely gorgeous illustrations... Who was it? What edition was this? Was it hella expensive? It was, wasn't it :(

It wasn't this one was it? I think this is gorgeous - it's also expensive!

It wasn't this one was it? I think this is gorgeous - it's also expensive!

Yes, that must be the book. I'd never even seen it, I think the person who'd bought the book showed us maybe one illustration, and I didn't even remember what it was like, but I've always thought I'd rather like that edition. It's definitely gorgeous, it's more gorgeous than I could've expected! And I'm not one for illustrated books, for some reason. But this one I would most certainly want to have. Very expensive, but I'm sure it would be worth it... Some day! :smile2: Thanks Janet!

I wonder if it was Ooshie who bought the edition...

Edit: This probably seems like a silly question, but I'm not that familiar with Folio Society: where can you buy these books? Can they be found in normal local bookstores in the UK, and in online bookshops, or are they only being sold in special shops?