Frankie reads 2012

frankie

- Harpo Marx: Harpo Speaks! What a great coincidence, I've recently watched Duck Soup and I found Harpo an interesting character and have noticed the autobio in the library and have been meaning to borrow it.

I'll comment properly on everything later, but I just have to comment on this. I don't think you have read my recent updates to my thread recently, because a few hours before you posted this, I posted that I bought exactly the same book! And on the same day!! Great minds think (and find) alike, hey? :D

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll comment properly on everything later, but I just have to comment on this. I don't think you have read my recent updates to my thread recently, because a few hours before you posted this, I posted that I bought exactly the same book! And on the same day!! Great minds think (and find) alike, hey? :D

Unfortunately I've been too busy to read other people's reading logs lately, I've been planning to catch up on them this weekend now that I have the time. So no, I hadn't noticed. But what a coincidence :D I'm not too surprised to see you acquired the same book because we've talked about our recent interest in the Marx brothers after having seen Duck Soup, but I'm blown away that we happened to get a copy each on the very same day :D :D How spooky is that! :friends3:

Ooh, telepathy! :D

Mmm'm, it's hella cool :cool:

Nice to see the fabled locker 42 :D

The Fabled Locker 42 :D Sound really lovely! Sounds like a great title for a book, doesn't it?

As it happens, this morning when I was putting my coat and shoes away in the locker, one of my co-workers told me she loved the Jane Austen postcard on the locker door and asked me if I'd been to see those places myself and a discussion ensued. :)

After lunch, during the last 10 minutes of my break, I went to see the Muikku room, where all the books that weren't sold last Friday were still at, and I was amazed by how many books there still where. I think they shouldn't have changed to prices, 20cnt is enough for a used book, I think because they cost 50cnt this year many people were put off.

Well, I got another two books :blush:

I got Dear, Dear Brenda by Henry Miller (his love letters to her). Couldn't resist, eventhough I've never even read any of his novels. I also got this book called From Heidenstam to Undset and it's a book that introduces 74 of the world's greatest authors (I guess you could say there are mini-bios of them). I already have a copy of From Dante to Dickens and I was thrilled to have this one. The copy isn't as old and 'distinguished' as the Dante book, and I'm wondering if I should get rid of the dust jacket (thus also getting rid of the stamps of the library etc)... but that would damage the insides of the covers, but then again, I could go and find some really nice kind of paper with which to decorate it and cover it...

I also borrowed a few interesting titles. One is Piiri (original Swedish title 'Cirkeln', 'Circle' if translated to English) by Mats Strandberg and Sara B. Elfgren. It's a young adult novel and I think this is the kind of novel that might interest the people on here who enjoy reading YA and fantasy, and I'm bummed that it seems like it's not been translated into English.

Another title I borrowed is Real Murders by Charlaine Harris, which seems interesting. A crime novel by the author of the Sookie Stackhouse series? Must try it out :) Oh, and the main character is a librarian :cool:

- Harpo Marx: Harpo Speaks! What a great coincidence, I've recently watched Duck Soup and I found Harpo an interesting character and have noticed the autobio in the library and have been meaning to borrow it.

Oh, that's interesting. I must make a note to get that. I loved Groucho's autobiography (in which he spoke of everything but his life because apparently that won't interest anyone. Haha) and it'd be nice to hear Harpo's take on the events. I adore their movies!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm really enjoying your library adventures. and thanks for posting the pics...very cool

Thanks Sofia, it feels like everyday is an adventure on its own right at the library :D I've just been too tired and busy to post lately :(

Oh, that's interesting. I must make a note to get that. I loved Groucho's autobiography (in which he spoke of everything but his life because apparently that won't interest anyone. Haha) and it'd be nice to hear Harpo's take on the events. I adore their movies!

I think I should add Groucho's autobiography on my wishlist. I think he's the most well known of the brothers, but I find Harpo the most sympathetic for some reason :shrug:

Frankie

Thanks for posting the photos of the findings in the library books. Really neat ! I'm surprised some of them don't come in and spot something of their's ,like some of the really pretty bookmarks .

Yep, it's really sad that some of the things end up in our collection and people will never know where they misplaced them.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but even before I started working at the library, I've been collecting things I find in between the pages of library books I borrow. Since I started working at the library, I've been rather hesitant to take any of the stuff I find when working for myself, but after a few weeks I just asked a few staff members if they thought it was okay that I would take some of the things for myself because it's a weird hobby of mine. If they were inexpensive things, and nothing too personal. I got a few weird looks, but they were fine with it, and I've already accumulated a rather nice stash of things :D I should take pics of them some time and share them on here.

Hiya Frankie. I loved all of your photos of the bookmarks. Thanks for sharing. I came across a book last night called Forgotten Bookmarks, which is apparently based on a website of the same name. I thought you might be interested.

Oooh, I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks! :smile2:

Aww, I'm really touched you put that up!

Well it only seemed appropriate to do so, it's a bookish postcard after all, and I thought it was very suitable for the locker door! I actually have most of the postcards etc sent to me by forum members put on one of my cupboard doors at home, and when I started working at the library I went through them to see which ones would suit the locker door, and the Jane Austen postcard was a given. A few staff members have struck up a conversation with me about it, so thanks :D

I only have one more week and one day left at the library, and I'm already dreading the end of my internship. I really wanted to apply for another internship at the same library, via the unemployment agency, but it turns out I cannot because I have to be 'present' at the uni this semester because I'm doing the work practice thing for uni now and I cannot be signed up as an unemployed person at the same time. It sucks so bad!

However, I've truly, fully discovered that I was born to be a librarian, I honestly feel like the library is my second home and that's where I belong in life. I'm going to try and get a position at an online library science programme next year, I am hoping to get qualifications to become a real librarian, and then I'm soooo going to apply for a job at the library :smile2:

Oh, and today I was cleaning CDs and DVDs when I was told I could also check out the books that were to be removed from the library's collection. I was too busy to do that, though, but I took a look at the books and found two copies I wanted for myself: Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren (one of my favorite children's lit authors, and I don't think I've ever read this particular book by her) and a book in the Lotta series by Merri Vik. I asked a regular staffer if I could have the books as they would be removed anyways and she gave me the green light. I love the perks of being a temp at the library :D

I also have a bit of news: one of my co-workers at the children's section goes to this hospital institution sort of thing for the elderly who can't take care of themselves, and she brings them books and stocks up on their small library. I've been curious about what that would be like, and this Monday I decided that nothing was lost if I asked if I could go with her some time. It's really not something that the temps and interns get to do, so I wasn't feeling too confident about it, but she said it was fine with her if it would work out okay in the schedules. And it does, so next Tuesday I'm going to be experiencing something quite unique! I'm really excited about it :)

By the way: the temps who've really enjoyed working at the library always bring some kind of treats to work on their last day, and a postcard of some sort to say thanks for the great times etc. I think it's a wonderful thing to do, and I've already been thinking about what I shall do when it's time for me to leave. Normally the temps have bought cookies from the grocerystore, some people have bought candy. I've been thinking I could try and make Rocky Road, I'm sure that would be very different, but I'm a bit hesitant because Rocky Road contains nuts and I don't want the nut allergics to feel left out. I've also considered baking brownies, I've baked them a few times before and I know I can make them decent.

And I've also been thinking about what to write in the postcard. I want it to be something that will stand out, but at the same time I don't want to sound too ... desperate? However, it just hit me: maybe I could quote Charles Dickens! In the following fashion:

"It was the best of times,

it was the age of wisdom,

it was the epoch of belief,

it was the season of Light,

it was the spring of hope,

in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received in the superlative degree of comparison only."

What do you think? Is that too much?

If you make either brownies or Rocky Road for them they will love you forever frankie .. not that they don't already I'm sure.

I love the quotation and think it's perfect. I think we're all almost as sad as you about the end of your internship :friends0: You're just so right for the job .. but it's exciting to hear that you have plans in that direction :boogie: You will be the best library assistant ever .. I don't know what the 'mother of all librarian jobs' is .. but that's the one you will end up having, no question.

Thanks for sharing all your library adventures with us .. it's great to hear about what goes on behind the scenes etc.

I wonder who will get the fabled locker 42 now? They won't be worthy of it .. that's for sure.

The lost puzzle piece?!!? .. they will be scratching their heads about that one (the sofa will be searched and all but upturned and the dog will have to have x-rays :D) All the little lost bits .. they make you wonder what the story is behind them :)

If you make either brownies or Rocky Road for them they will love you forever frankie .. not that they don't already I'm sure.

:D I've been told that they like cake the best but I'll be damned if I have to bake them one! Rocky Road or brownies will have to do the job. I'm leaning more towards brownies, but I'm a bit worried brownies don't like sitting on a table for a whole day, should they not be kept in the fridge? That might ruin that plan.

I love the quotation and think it's perfect. I think we're all almost as sad as you about the end of your internship :friends0: You're just so right for the job .. but it's exciting to hear that you have plans in that direction :boogie: You will be the best library assistant ever .. I don't know what the 'mother of all librarian jobs' is .. but that's the one you will end up having, no question.

That's one vote for the quote! I would like to use the original English quote, but I don't want to come off as an English wannabe snob. I should look into what the quote sounds like in Finnish, if it's as good as the original.

Oddly enough, I don't know if I want to be promoted to a 'better' position than the temp, because I think the temps have the best tasks :D I've enjoyed sorting out the books behind the return machine, and that's something the normal staff do not do unless they are short of temps at the moment. I don't even particularly crave after sitting at the desk, getting to socialize with the customers, handling their personal returns and borrowing and fetching their reserved books, I want to stay at the back and keep sorting out books :shrug:

Not that I'm opposed to being of assistance to the patrons. I don't have an intern's name tag on me, but because I'm hauling books here and there and everywhere and because I'm usually 'traveling' with book trolleys and because I have my keychain, the patrons recognise me as a staff member and I'm asked something by them on a daily basis. I love it when they ask me something I know the answer to and feel like I'm really one of the staff members. Today I was shelving some non-fiction books when a woman was wandering around and noticed me and asked me where she could find books about dogs. It was brilliant because I've come to remember where all different kinds of non-fiction books are, and I could easily point her in the direction of the doggy books.

Oh, and the other day when I was shelving dictionaries, there was this German lady. She asked me if I spoke German, and I could only tell her in my very bad German that yes, but only very little and 'very bad'. Honestly, it's been 10 years since I've last spoken any German and since I had German classes in school. And whenever I try to speak German, I can only think of Swedish words. However, I could understand what she was after, but because I'm not all that familiar with all the books we have I couldn't help her. We ended up chatting a bit, though, and I tried telling her that I understand more, but I can only speak so little German. She said that I was like a dog. I laughed and said 'I love dogs!'. She laughed in return, and explained that I was like a dog: I understood, but couldn't talk to her in a way she would understand. So funny!

Oh, I'm rambling, aren't I? Anyways, it's been a long time since I've had any sort of direction (job-career wise) in my life, and it feels so good that I now finally know what I want in life and I know what to do in order to get there.

I'm also wondering if it would be very different, being a librarian in the UK. I've already borrowed a few books, Dictionary of Information & Library Management in English. Also a few Finnish-English-Finnish dictionaries re: library vocabulary. It would be very interesting to experience what it would be like to be a librarian in a different country.

I wonder who will get the fabled locker 42 now? They won't be worthy of it .. that's for sure.

I don't even want to think about it. Maybe I'll just not return the key... :giggle: Although I know they have a spare key, so it would all come to nothing. I tell you, it's bad enough to have met the person who's now being trained to take over my job when I quit :rolleyes:

The lost puzzle piece?!!? .. they will be scratching their heads about that one (the sofa will be searched and all but upturned and the dog will have to have x-rays :D) All the little lost bits .. they make you wonder what the story is behind them

Poor doggy :lol: You are too funny! Actually, I forgot to tell you guys, but some of the 'bookmarks' were identified by their owners and they've claimed ownership and have gotten them back. So there, a very successful display, wouldn't you agree?

Such a shame you have to leave at all Frankie. Is your time nearly up already? Don't they realise that they cannot do without you? I like the quote by the way.

I only have three more days of work this week, and next Monday's going to be my last day. I can't believe it all ends so soon, I'm going to be so sad :( The problem is that the library doesn't have the funds to hire just anybody, so they mostly employ 3 months temps via the unemployment agency, and the people who want to do work practice via uni or college.

I thought I was going to miss working at the library, which I am, but I never thought beforehand that I would also miss my co-workers. I didn't expect to get along so well with them. There are quite a few of people I'm going to miss, and a few I'm really, really going to miss.

Edit: I think I have a fairly good chance of being asked to temp every now and then if the regular staffers get sick. Two of the other temps I worked with and who already ended their internship have already done a few temp days, filling in for sick people. My advantage is that I have worked in the children's section (none of the others have), but their advantage is that they've worked the desk and have answered the phone. So in a way it's good that I won't be competing with them, and that I'll be called if any of the children's section people get sick. Not that I wish people to get ill, ... but you know what I mean.

Today before my shift started I took some photos of the library for you guys. Here they are as follows:

Pic #1: This is the book return machine from the back. All the books returned via the machine come through here and are dropped in one of the five different boxes, from which we then have to sort them to different trolleys: children's section trolley, adult's fiction trolley ('normal' fiction, thrillers, horror, war, humor), non-fiction trolley, detective novels + fantasy/sci-fi + poems + comics trolley, audiovisual trolley and foreign fiction trolley.

Pic #2: The detective novels trolley, with detective novels on top, poems and fantasy/sci-fi in the middle and comics on the bottom.

Pic #3: Our computer with which we have to go through each of the books that are dropped into a certain box. The computer tells us where the books should be going (meaning if it's been reserved or if it goes to another branch library, or the library storage). We also handle all the reserved books coming in from different libraries and our own shelves with this machine. And I also borrow my own books with this one :smile2: Respect the machine! :giggle2:

Pic #4: One of the desks. On this one you can ask for books that are shelved in the storage, you can also borrow books from this desk, and fetch your reserved books that have come to the library. On the bookcase in the back you can see our reserved books from N-Ö.

Pic #5: Our two other desks, through which you can borrow books, take books back and fetch your reservations. On the backshelf the reserved books from A-M. In the far back you can see one of our staff members cleaning CDs and DVDs.

Pic #6: There's a button collecting campaign going on in our library at the moment. Patrons can donate buttons that they don't need anymore, and some of the crafty library workers then make necklaces and bracelets out of them, which are then sold to customers. The proceeds are used to buy toys for the children's section, and money paid for the toys is actually going to some country in Africa, it is used to feed some people there.

post-4458-0-79005600-1348592167_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-77385900-1348592199_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-65302000-1348592248_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-48759600-1348592284_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-04720100-1348592319_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-14710100-1348592349_thumb.jpg

Here's more:

Pic #1: This is our fantasy/sci-fi section, and in between the two shelves that are on the left and right are comic books, and on the back there are also comics and manga books. All the fantasy/sci-fi books on this section are in Finnish, the English fan/sci-fi (for instance) is in the English novels section.

Pic #2: The English fiction section, through ~ P to Z.

Pic #3: The English fiction section, through ~ G to P.

Pic #4: The English fiction section, through A to F.

(in the back in all the three pics above you can see a part of our poetry section)

The English section is by far my most favorite area in the library :) I love it if I get to organize those shelves and other foreign language novels, too.

post-4458-0-95867400-1348593708_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-92267900-1348593803_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-83571200-1348593857_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-21416600-1348593926_thumb.jpg

And finally, some pictures of the children's section:

Pic #1: This time our children's section's display theme is Egypt.

Pic #2: The desk at the children's section. You cannot actually borrow books from this desk or return them, but you can ask for any sort of information, books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Pic #3: This is a rather poor overview of the children's section, it doesn't cover much at all. What you can see in the pic is a few of the picture book shelves (which I've alphabetized and refilled and organized on numerous occasions and how I actually started my first day at the library), books for the little kids (ages 0-3), and on the left in the back you can see some of our non-fiction books, and on the right you can see a few of the fiction section shelves.

Pic #4: Here are the English titles in our children's section. Picture books, novels, poetry, comics, basically all readable material except for non-fiction (which is in the non-fiction section with Finnish titles)

Pic #5: A (weird) piece of art, a sculpture at the center of the section, there's also Ressu (can't remember his English name) and Lumppa.

post-4458-0-79081900-1348594126_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-65752800-1348594225_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-49232000-1348594281_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-85763300-1348594455_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-57047400-1348594598_thumb.jpg

Is that Snoopy frankie? .. how cute!

Thanks for the pics, it's lovely to see your workplace. I'm sure they will ask you back. I'm not wishing them ill either but a pox on them all :D .. not really .. I wish them to be just a teensiest bit ill disposed and needing a rest :D I cannot imagine they ever had a temp who knew as much about books as you do .. they'd be daft not to grab you with both hands as soon as they have the opportunity.

Still it's led to you making up your mind about what you want to do in the future so it's been such a valuable time whatever happens. Come and work in our libraries .. we need you :)

Pic #1: This is our fantasy/sci-fi section, and in between the two shelves that are on the left and right are comic books, and on the back there are also comics and manga books. All the fantasy/sci-fi books on this section are in Finnish, the English fan/sci-fi (for instance) is in the English novels section.

:wub:

:D :D

Is that Snoopy frankie? .. how cute!

Yes, Snoopy! I couldn't remember his English name for the life of me. He's a dear old member of the children's section, the kids love him. There have been times when I've noticed Snoopy sitting on a table at the adults section, and it's been obvious that some kid has wanted to take him home but his/her parents have told him that no, Snoopy lives at the library and needs to be left behind.

Thanks for the pics, it's lovely to see your workplace. I'm sure they will ask you back. I'm not wishing them ill either but a pox on them all.. not really .. I wish them to be just a teensiest bit ill disposed and needing a rest. I cannot imagine they ever had a temp who knew as much about books as you do .. they'd be daft not to grab you with both hands as soon as they have the opportunity.

I might as well tell you now: there was another spot opening at the library, and I asked the people at the uni if I could postpone delivering my internship report so that I could hold off signing up as a student at the uni til next year, and it was fine with them. But the unemployment agency wasn't satisfied with that, they told me I would've had to quit uni for a 12 month period in order to sign up as an unemployed person in order to apply for the position at the library. I couldn't do that, so there went the opportunity. I told some of the staff members about it so they'd not make any final decisions about the people they interviewed and so they could also consider me a candidate. They were sorry to hear it wasn't possible for me to apply for the internship. It was a huge disappointment, but it was so nice hearing that they would've wanted me to continue at the library.

Still it's led to you making up your mind about what you want to do in the future so it's been such a valuable time whatever happens. Come and work in our libraries .. we need you

This is what I keep telling myself. This Monday was my last day at work and I was heartbroken, but I have to remember that now I know what I'm to do with my life and I feel so happy and grateful about that.

I hope the Finnish Government suddenly has a Library Initiative and comes up with funding to keep you on permanently Frankie

You should get a petition going on, please! :D

:wub:

Haha, you are such a fanboi!

Great pics frankie! I hope you get a chance to work there again sometime soon..

Thanks chalie, I don't really care how long it'll take me, but I'm going to find a way to weasel myself in there again, to work there with all the awesome people!

Great pics. It's a big shame that your time is coming to end, it certainly sounds like you have had loads of fun working there.

It was definitely one of the best periods in my life!

~

Like I said, Monday was my last day at work. I didn't bake anything because I was going to the unemployment agency the first thing in the morning to see if I could apply for another internship at the library. I didn't feel like baking in case I would be able to continue working there. So I went and bought cookies of two different sorts. I also got a card with a picture of a dog holding a rose in his mouth, and I wrote in the back the Charles Dickens quote I already told you about.

I'd been hoping to catch the staff members cafe unvacated by other people so I could make the preparations (write the note on the card and sort out the cookies on a plate) in peace, but there were a few people there. The cookies I'd bought were a cheap, general brand and I was a bit embarrassed by them, eventhough I've had them many times before and they taste really great and if you didn't know they were generic, you'd think they were of a more expensive kind. One of the people there got a cookie for themselves immediately and was like, 'wow, what a great cookie!'. She then asked me which brand they were and I had to tell them it's a generic brand (I'm not exactly bathing in money at the moment). She said she would've never figured, it was delicious. The other people started to read my card, and one of them commented on the dog, and my good taste in cards :D The other was more into the fact that I'd stated in the card that I've found my calling and it's at the library. They were really happy that I'd enjoyed it there.

Later on the doggy-commenting lady (whom I didn't really know, she must work in some other section of the library) walked by me and told me she'd tasted a cookie and it had been delicious. And one of the staff members had actually fished out the packet out of the garbage can to see what brand it was :D Dear lord! I hope they washed their hands :D

It was such a nice day at work. Everyone was so nice, one person said that I have to follow my dreams (of becoming a librarian) and stick with it and I'll make it in the end. Another person said that with my 'attitude and heart' I will definitely make it. I was also happy to catch my favorite librarian and have a word with her: she's taught me so much and she's treated me like an equal, and she took me with her to the town hospital / old people's home to do her usual Tuesday routine with the little library trolley, eventhough she could've (probably) said no. She was always fun to work with, I can't tell you how many times we laughed our asses off with her. I told her I didn't want to single anyone out in my card, but that I owed her a special thank you for everything she'd taught me. I told her she was my 'library guru'. She was very pleased to hear that, and she said I have to come back to work at the library some day.

The staff at the children's section gave me a packet of mints as a thank you and a really lovely bye-bye card. And the staff at the adults section asked me if I liked the button jewellery they'd been making for sale, and when I said yes, they told me I could go and pick out something for myself as a keepsake. What lovely treasures! :wub: I will attach pics of the card and the bracelette I chose.

I think I also made a friend at the library. She's one of the interns there, she was the one who worked the hardest and whose work ethic I admired and respected. We didn't talk a lot for the first month, but somehow started talking some weeks ago and I found out we have a lot in common. I became to look forward to working in the same shifts as she, because I knew we would get things done together, she was so precise, quick, and considerate. In the end she became my go-to co-worker. I could talk to her about my insecurities and fears of what's to come after my internship ends, and she also opened up to me about her own stuff. We exchanged e-mail addresses and I hope to see her sometime in the future :)

post-4458-0-91319500-1349273639_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-48349000-1349273654_thumb.jpg