Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Oooh! They are showing a new mini TV series of Emma over here! The first episode just started, I was really lucky to spot the show in time, so I could record it on my digibox. Wohoo! I'm not going to watch it now, I'm waiting for tonight's hockey game to start and I'm in no appropriate mood. It's a 2009 make, this one.

I was going to ask if anyone's watched it, and if it was any good, but who am I kidding? I'm recording and watching it anyways! I did have a sneaky peek (I had to change the channel so I wouldn't just watch the whole thing :D) and I already recognised Jonny Lee Miller, Michael Gambon, Robert Bathurst and Tamsin Greig. I'm really delighted to see so many familiar faces. However, what on earth is Jonny Lee Miller doing in this? He should be banned from all sophisticated historical dramas and period dramas! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against him, but hello!!! He played a very convincing drug addict in a really disturbing movie about drugs :D He'll be Sick Boy to me, forever.

I have no idea where I've seen Michael Gambon before, but I have a feeling he's been on loads of series and movies. When I saw him at the beginning of the episode, I thought, wasn't he playing the same guy in the movie with Kate Beckingsale? :D Never mind, he's good. Very suitable for this sort of thing.

I <3 Robert Bathurst! I'm so excited that he is in this! And I'm happy to see Tamsin Greig as Miss Bates, I'm sure she'll do one heck of a job :D She's amazing in Black Books. Oh I should really re-watch Black Books. Thank god for Kylie, she introduced me to the show :smile2:

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen that one frankie - it's not too bad actually. Considering Emma is my least favourite Austen book, I quite enjoyed this.

You'd probably recognise Michael Gambon as he took over the role of Dumbledore after Richard Harris died, but he was also in Cranford, not sure if you saw that?

I've seen that one frankie - it's not too bad actually. Considering Emma is my least favourite Austen book, I quite enjoyed this.

Yeah, I've come to think that it's pretty darn hard to make a BBC period drama that totally sucks :D Interesting to hear Emma is your least favorite, I'd be interested in knowing why? :)

You'd probably recognise Michael Gambon as he took over the role of Dumbledore after Richard Harris died, but he was also in Cranford, not sure if you saw that?

Ah, yes, the new Dumbledore. I don't think I would've made the connection had you not told me. I've seen Cranford (which I really liked, btw), but I don't think I remember him from that either. It's weird, he has a memorable face and I recognize him, but I couldn't say where I've seen him, eventhough now I know two different instances where he's been and which I've seen for sure :D

Yeah, I've come to think that it's pretty darn hard to make a BBC period drama that totally sucks :D Interesting to hear Emma is your least favorite, I'd be interested in knowing why? :)

I've started the book at least three times, but I've never managed to finish it. I just haven't engaged with it at all. For my Jane Austen challenge I am determined to read it all, though, and maybe with a few years separation now from my previous attempts, I'll appreciate it more this time.

Ah, yes, the new Dumbledore. I don't think I would've made the connection had you not told me. I've seen Cranford (which I really liked, btw), but I don't think I remember him from that either. It's weird, he has a memorable face and I recognize him, but I couldn't say where I've seen him, even though now I know two different instances where he's been and which I've seen for sure :D

Isn't strange how some actors look so familiar and yet you can't place them? I know many occasions where I've had to look someone up on IMDB and then realised they were in one of my favourite films! Gambon was Judi Dench's characters long lost love in Cranford.

I've started the book at least three times, but I've never managed to finish it. I just haven't engaged with it at all. For my Jane Austen challenge I am determined to read it all, though, and maybe with a few years separation now from my previous attempts, I'll appreciate it more this time.

That is so weird, I thought surely you must've read all of the Austens, all the way. I thought all your Austen reads this year are re-reads. Too bad you've had to struggle so much with Emma. It's not my most favorites, and I do agree in that the storyline isn't always that engaging, but the Daddy character is so deliciously funny that I'm willing to let some other things slide :) I hope this year you will be able to finish it and maybe, if at all possible, even enjoy it :smile2:

Isn't strange how some actors look so familiar and yet you can't place them? I know many occasions where I've had to look someone up on IMDB and then realised they were in one of my favourite films! Gambon was Judi Dench's characters long lost love in Cranford.

It's unbelievably strange! When you said that Gambon is in Cranford, I immediately thought that oh, he must be the Daddy of the (sort of) main female character. The one that never marries. And now I'm not even sure if there was a Daddy figure. I do remember Dench's character's long lost love, kind of vaguely, (I do remember that

he died, just when things picked up with him and the woman :( :(

) but I never would've put Gambon down as that actor :lol:

I really want to watch Cranford now!! Oh, I should definitely, finally, read the book, too!

I have no idea where I've seen Michael Gambon before, but I have a feeling he's been on loads of series and movies. When I saw him at the beginning of the episode, I thought, wasn't he playing the same guy in the movie with Kate Beckingsale? :D Never mind, he's good. Very suitable for this sort of thing.

Michael Gambon played Squire Hamley in (Gaskell's) 'Wives & Daughters' (Roger & Osborne's Dad) :smile: and excellent he was too.

Hope you enjoy Emma frankie :smile: .. I didn't like the book much and haven't enjoyed the adaptations much either but I don't think I've seen this one. Your review is needed :D

Michael Gambon played Squire Hamley in (Gaskell's) 'Wives & Daughters' (Roger & Osborne's Dad) :smile: and excellent he was too.

So he's pretty much in everything I watch on TV and even still I can't name him :D

Hope you enjoy Emma frankie :smile: .. I didn't like the book much and haven't enjoyed the adaptations much either but I don't think I've seen this one. Your review is needed :D

I rather like the Emma movie with Kate Beckingsale, the actor playing Harriet is splendid and so is Mark Strong as Mr Knightley. But I think I've talked about Mark Strong in your thread, poppyshake :giggle:

So, a review, huh? Well, I'll have plenty of time to put it together, as it's a four episode series, one episode every Friday :D

I rather like the Emma movie with Kate Beckingsale, the actor playing Harriet is splendid and so is Mark Strong as Mr Knightley. But I think I've talked about Mark Strong in your thread, poppyshake :giggle:

My only real objection to that particular Emma was that they rushed it and everyone in it seemed out of humour most of the time (because they had to do 'nought to really put out' in a very short space of time.) Samantha Morton was brilliant as you say .. perfectly cast as Harriet and much to be preferred to Toni Colette (in the Gwynnie version) who wasn't right for Harriet (but I think it was the fault of the script/director .. it couldn't be Toni's fault cos she's brilliant.) I did prefer Mark Strong's Mr Knightley to Jeremy Northam's .. and I thought Kate was better at being Emma than Gwynnie but for me everybody frowned too much. Have you ever seen Mark Strong in 'Our Friends in the North'? .. brilliant, brilliant drama with lots of fantastic actors in (as well as Mark :wub: theres Daniel Craig :wub: and Chris Ecclestone :wub:) The really, really old adaptation of Emma (1972) is good but it's a bit creaky and stilted .. some great performances though and the best Miss Bates, Mrs Elton and Harriet ever .. and the best Mr Wodehouse too because the actor that played him seemed as if he WAS Mr Wodehouse ... very irritating with all his fussy little ways .. it didn't appear to me that he was acting :D (I wanted to bash him on the head or at least seat him near an open window for a very long time :o) Doran Godwin who played Emma was good too .. perhaps a little bit too reserved but more like Jane intended I think. I haven't seen it in ages because my copy is on video and I haven't got a video player anymore *shakes fist* .. d*mn you technology!

Look forward to the weekly reviews or the one big review at the end of them :smile:

My only real objection to that particular Emma was that they rushed it and everyone in it seemed out of humour most of the time (because they had to do 'nought to really put out' in a very short space of time.)

Hm, I never had any problems with this version. But I must say that it has to be down to the fact that it's the first one I ever saw, and thus for me the 'real' version.

Samantha Morton was brilliant as you say .. perfectly cast as Harriet and much to be preferred to Toni Colette (in the Gwynnie version) who wasn't right for Harriet (but I think it was the fault of the script/director .. it couldn't be Toni's fault cos she's brilliant.)

Wow, I didn't even remember Toni Collette was in that movie! Although in my defense, it was long after I'd seen this movie that I 'learnt' about Toni Collette and started recognising her in things. She's so amazingly versatile, half the time I don't recognise her face because of the different hair cuts and clothes, and she's just such an amazing actor she can really become another person.

Off-topic: Have you seen the TV series called The United States of Tara? Toni Collette plays the lead, Tara, who has a multiple personality disorder. It's a really funny and quirky show, but deep, too. And of course Collette is just amazing in it, and the other actors are wonderful, too. Kylie introduced me to the show when I was visiting her, and I just had to start watching the series from season 1, episode 1.

Have you ever seen Mark Strong in 'Our Friends in the North'? .. brilliant, brilliant drama with lots of fantastic actors in (as well as Mark theres Daniel Craig and Chris Ecclestone )

I imdb'ed the series but sadly I've not seen it or even heard of it. I'll keep my eyes open for it :)

The really, really old adaptation of Emma (1972) is good but it's a bit creaky and stilted .. some great performances though and the best Miss Bates, Mrs Elton and Harriet ever .. and the best Mr Wodehouse too because the actor that played him seemed as if he WAS Mr Wodehouse ... very irritating with all his fussy little ways .. it didn't appear to me that he was acting (I wanted to bash him on the head or at least seat him near an open window for a very long time) Doran Godwin who played Emma was good too .. perhaps a little bit too reserved but more like Jane intended I think. I haven't seen it in ages because my copy is on video and I haven't got a video player anymore *shakes fist* .. d*mn you technology!

I don't think they ever show these older Austen movies over here, but I'll see if I could catch that and some of the others somehow. I once tried watching a black-and-white P&P movie, but I was so confused because Lizzie was a blonde and Jane was a brunette :haha: I kept getting those two mixed, and it seemed like a really bad parody about swingers :giggle:

Keep Mr Wodehouse near an open window??!! Woman, are you utterly ruthless?? :haha: I think Mr Wodehouse is my favorite character in the book (the other one being Mr Knightley and me not giving a teeny rat's bottom about the others). He was so darlingly helpless and totally out of it. It might be mean but I couldn't help but laugh at him on so many occasions.

The Gwynnie version then? I don't know which one came first, the Gwynnie or the Kate version, but as I said, I watched the Kate version first. And at that time, I was a teen, and I was really confused when I found out there was another version of Emma. Before that, I hadn't really come across the concept of a re-make, with different actors, editors, etc. Honestly! I thought the Gwynnie version was just something they whipped up, because a Hollywood actor wanted to do it. :D I was totally clueless!

If you search for "Emma 1972" on YouTube, there is someone who has posted videos of the entire series :)

Aww, thanks for that :) However, since my laptop is still lacking appropriate fanning, I'm having to use my old computer and this old buddy boy does not always agree with youtube :D I have to laugh, so I wouldn't cry!

Pied Piper

by Nevil Shute

Synopsis from Wiki: The story concerns an elderly Englishman, John Sidney Howard, who goes on a fishing holiday in France after the Second World War breaks out, but before the fall of France. Entrusted with the care of two British children, and overtaken by events, he attempts to return to England and safety.

Thoughts: The beginning of the novel reminds me of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, or even Wuthering Heights: in the beginning we are introduced to a person whom we find out to be a secondary character in the story, and this man comes across with the real hero of the story, John Howard, at a club house. They have time to kill, or rather time in which they try not to get killed, and to pass the time Howard starts to tell his story of how he escaped the occupied France. And boy, what kind of a story he has to tell. It is a story of desperate times, survival, quick thinking to avoid the radar of the enemy, compassion, putting the needs of others in first place, courage, and every imaginable thing that is related to the times of ordinary people in a country at war.

I loved the book. John Howard is such a dear sweetheart, he would make a great Gramps for any kid :smile2: The story was so well told, and it kept me engaged the whole way through. It's so weird how great literature you can make out of something that is so horrible: the war.

It's late, it's been a long while since I read the book, and I don't know what else to say about it at the moment, other than that I was really happy to find this book, and that I'm really sorry I missed the reading circle discussion on it. I'd like to read other books by Shute but I fear they are mostly about naviation?

It was a definite 5/5 for me :)

I’ve promised myself that I would write down at least a little bit of something about each book I read, but it’s become really difficult when I’ve neglected review writing for so long and there are books I can barely remember what they were about. I’d be in a real jam if someone would now kidnap me and hold me as a hostage until I remembered all the names of the main characters! I’d only have to hope the kidnapper was good enough to give me new books to read to pass the time until perhaps, some day in the future I could come up with the correct names. Coffee and chips, too, please.

The Accidental Tourist

by Anne Tyler

Amazon: Meet Macon Leary--a travel writer who hates both travel and strangeness. Grounded by loneliness, comfort, and a somewhat odd domestic life, Macon is about to embark on a surprising new adventure, arriving in the form of a fuzzy-haired dog obedience trainer who promises to turn his life around.

Thoughts: My friend’s been raving about Anne Tyler’s books for years and when I found a cheap secondhand copy of this at a charityshop, I had to buy it. And I was jumping at the chance to read a book where there was a dog. Also, I loved the idea of a travel writer who hates travelling.

It was a decently good read. Although I have to say that the bodybag made of sheets that he invented is actually a real thing that’s been used in Finland. I tried to google and see where the idea comes from but I couldn’t find a reliable source, some sources say it’s a Finnish invention, some say it’s a Russian. This is really nothing to do with the actual plot, but it’s one of those things that stuck in my mind about the book. As well as the hot tap water coffee. Yuck! That can’t be good, and it might not even be safe. My dad’s a plumber and he would never think it safe to drink hot water straight from the tap, the hot water gets all the bacteria going.

I now realise that if you haven’t read the book, you have no idea what I’m talking about (re: bodybag) and you might think the book’s morbid and so am I. Well, here’s today’s lesson of different cultures. Based on what I’ve seen on TV, I believe that you guys in the US, UK and Australia put a sheet on the bed and on top of that you place a blanket. And then you crawl under the sheet and voila. Over here in Finland (and I imagine (NB.: I imagine, but I don’t know for sure) also in the other Nordic countries. Oh yes, they did the same in Denmark, I remember now), we do it a bit differently. You know how people put pillows inside pillowcases. Well, pretty much in the same fashion, we have ‘blanketcases’ inside of which we put our blankets. It’s quite handy in my opinion, but one of my pet peeves in life is changing the sheets because the task of putting the blanket inside the ‘bag of sheet’ is so vexing and annoying. I admit that I adopted the Australian way for months when I got back home to Finland. So much easier :giggle:

Oh yes, why don’t we go back to the book… :giggle: Yes yes, a decent, good read. I wouldn’t go around recommending it to everyone, but I liked it just fine. I did however find it a bit sigh-worthy that

Macon kept going back and forth so much and that in the end he sort of magically got this epiphany and made the final decision which to me seemed rather random.

4/5

Ladder of Years

by Anne Tyler

Amazon: BALTIMORE WOMAN DISAPPEARS DURING FAMILY VACATION, declares the headline. Forty-year-old Delia Grinstead is last seen strolling down the Delaware shore, wearing nothing more than a bathing suit and carrying a beach tote with five hundred dollars tucked inside. To her husband and three almost-grown children, she has vanished without trace or reason. But for Delia, who feels like a tiny gnat buzzing around her family's edges, "walking away from it all" is not a premeditated act, but an impulse that will lead her into a new, exciting, and unimagined life . .

Thoughts: Wow, think of all the things you could do with this story! And then think of how little is actually done, and be disappointed. That’s the gist of the book, in my opinion, or that’s how it turned out for me. Also, the one thing I put in spoiler tags in the review of the other Tyler book above, well, it turned out that it wasn’t just a one-off thing, but a pattern which Tyler has adopted. Okay, I’ve only read two of her books, yes, but I just found some things too similar to the other book. And there was the hot tap water coffee thing again. As much as I found it gross the first time, it was a unique thing, but here it was repeated again. And I’ll be damned if I read another Tyler book and don’t find the same thing appearing in the novel at some point.

So, I think with these books I kind of learnt what Tyler’s books are about (you are free to tell me I’m wrong, because I might be!) and I feel like I’m done with her. Her books are solid reads, but maybe one shouldn’t read too many in a row. More like one every three or four years.

2/5

(And, if you can't get the weird idea of the bodybag out of your head, here are two youtube videos I found for you, of Finnish people putting the blanket inside the 'bodybag'. The

is something I've never seen before, I'd never think to do it like that, but I so want to try now! And
... that's not how we usually do it :D You don't put yourself in the bodybag, you put the blanket in the bodybag :haha:)

Man, Woman, And Child

by Erich Segal

Amazon: From Eric Segal comes an unforgettable story of love....the drama of a father and the son he never knew... And a marriage that must stand the greatest test of all. Man, Woman And Child. Bob and Sheila Beckwith had everything: rewarding careers, two wonderful daughters, and a perfect marriage... almost perfect. for what Sheila didn't know was that Bob has once been unfaithful-only once, ten years ago during a business trip to France. What Bob didn't know was that his brief affair produced a son. Now a tragic accident-and one fateful phone call-will change Bob and Sheila's life forever...

Thoughts: The premise of the story isn't exactly the most unique one out there, but that's never a problem for/with Segal. His skills lie in making such an ordinary story so readable and touching, and he delivers these tiny pearls of wisdom without underlining or pushing them.

Another great book by Segal, he's now more firmly established his place on my list of my favorite authors.

5/5

Bimbos of the Death Sun

by Sharyn McCrumb

Amazon (blurb): For one fateful weekend, the annual science fiction and fantasy convention, Rubicon, has all but taken over a usually ordinary hotel. Now the halls are alive with Trekkies, tech nerds, and fantasy gamers in their Viking finery - all of them eager to hail their hero, bestselling fantasy author Appin Dungannon: a diminutive despot whose towering ego more than compensates for his 5' 1" height . . . and whose gleeful disdain for his fawning fans is legendary.

Hurling insults and furniture with equal abandon, the terrible, tiny author proceeds to alienate ersatz aliens and make-believe warriors at warp speed. But somewhere between the costume contest and the exhibition Dungeons & Dragons game, Dungannon gets done in. While die-hard fans of Dungannon's seemingly endless sword-and-sorcery series wonder how they'll go on and hucksters wonder how much they can get for the dead man's autograph, a hapless cop wonders, "Who would want to kill Appin Dungannon?" But the real question, as the harried convention organizers know, is "Who wouldn't?"

Thoughts: This is the sort of book I wouldn't normally read. It's sci-fi related, is it not. However, years and years ago I read someone's review on the book and they were quite taken with it, and ever since then the book has stayed on my wishlist. I think the rather original title also had something to do with it. Who wouldn't be curious after hearing such a title? Also, the book's not sc-fi itself, it's just set in a sci-fi convention. I find all kinds of conventions interesting, I've never been to one of any sort, but the idea of people from all over the country/world getting together to occupy themselves in something that they all are interested in is fascinating. A bit like a weekend on BCF, but meeting the members in real life to talk books over the weekend. How cool is that.

Anyhow. There were some really quirky characters, as one would imagine with a book like this, and I found it interesting to read about all the different kinds of sci-fi 'nerds', meaning that there are different sub-cultures in that culture itself. It was readable and enjoyable and of course I like a good whodunnit. Too bad I can't remember much of the plot itself anymore.

There was a great deal of internal debate on the rating, I struggled with deciding whether it was a 3/5 or 4/5, but in the end I went with 3/5.

The Ladies of Missalonghi

by Colleen McCullough

Amazon: Like a box of chocolates, this short novel by McCullough is seductive and satisfying; readers will want to devour it in one sitting. Set in the early 1900s in the tiny town of Byron, nestled in the Australia's Blue Mountains, it tells of the blossoming of Missy Wright, 33-year-old spinster and poor relation of the town's ruling family, the Hurlingfords. Missy, her widowed mother and crippled aunt live in genteel poverty, victims of the Hurlingford inheritance policy that gives riches and power to the male members of the family, who heartlessly abuse the women they dominate. Plain, painfully thin and doomed to dress always in serviceable brown, shockingly dark-haired in a clan of luminous blondes, Missy seems fated for da dreary future until a distant cousin, a divorcee, arrives from Sydney. [...] This is an endearing tale, exuding an old-fashioned sentimentality, yet wittily told. McCullough indulges in gentle social satire, even as she uses the stock character of a mysterious stranger to introduce suspense and romance.

Thoughts: I've been wanting to read McCullough for a while now, and I already have a copy of The Thorn Birds, which I hear is quite the classic, but the size of that novel has put me off of reading it for some time now. So when I found a cheap copy of this at the library's book sale, I snatched it immediately. The cover of the book and the blurb indicated that this was going to be a rather light, quick read, and maybe not the sort of book I would enjoy if it was badly written. However, when I picked the book up to read it, I was immediately sucked into the story.

Word of warning: This novel bears a very close resemblance to The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery, which I've coincidentally read just a year or two ago. When I'd finished the book I did some investigating to find out if this was intentional on McCullough's part, but I can't remember what I found out about it. And it doesn't really matter to me, because I really enjoyed reading The Blue Castle, and eventhough some people might think reading a similar sort of book would be boring and just useless repetition, I didn't mind it at all. It was like a fresh, a bit lighter take on the story, with different sorts of details. For example, Missy is an avid reader and her secret trips to the library were a lot of fun to witness.

I pretty much enjoyed everything about the novel, but there was one thing that made me roll my eyes quite hecticly in the end.

Una, the assistant librarian, who was Missy's confidant and encouraged her to take risks, turns out to be a ghost in the end. Okay, this would've been fine by me, had not other people seen and met her, too, and talked about her to Missy. I've never heard of a ghost who's seen by all. Oh, well, except for the Harry Potter books, but even in those books people knew they were ghosts. This was a gross underestimation of the reader on McCullough's part. And because of that I couldn't give the book the 5/5 I wanted to. However, as awful as the ending was, I still have very fond memories of the book!

4/5

Phantoms On the Bookshelves

by Jacques Bonnet

Amazon: This enchanting study on the art of living with books considers how our personal libraries reveal our true nature: far more than just places, they are living labyrinths of our innermost feelings. The author, a lifelong accumulator of books both ancient and modern, lives in a house large enough to accommodate his many thousands of books, as well as overspill from the libraries of his friends. While his musings on the habits of collectors past and present are learned, witty and instructive, his advice on cataloguing may even save the lives of those whose books are so prodigiously piled as to be a hazard... The Phantoms on the Bookshelves ranges from classical Greece to contemporary Iceland, from Balzac and Moby Dick to Google, offering up delicious anecdotes along the way. This elegantly produced volume will be a lasting delight to specialist collectors, librarians, bibliophiles and all those who treasure books.

Thoughts: I can't remember anything of this book, except for two tiny things!

a) There were either too many French novels, recommended and talked about. For me, personally. That is not to say I have something against French literature, only I've not read enough of it to know much about it, and therefore it felt frustrating. Or, there were too many French terms that went untranslated and I don't know any French. Or maybe it was both.

b) I remember one amusing anecdote from the book, oh I do hope I remember it correctly, it's been a while. Anyhow. There was this man who had a huge collection of books, like a big room full of them, and they might've been quite old, valuable editions. I don't remember exactly. So, when he was away, some men came in and kidnapped his wife. He was then told that they will hold the wife for ransome, for x amount of money. The men were clever though. They said that if the man didn't pay up, they wouldn't kill his wife, but they would totally and utterly damage his personal library. And what do you know? The man paid :D

I was just going through some amazon reviews of the book and apparently I'm not the only one to comment on the numerous French titles discussed in the book. I would agree with the people who wrote that you will definitely get more out of the book if you enjoy French titles.

Also, this caught my eye: "This book isn't as good as 'The Library at Night' by Alberto Manguel though it is in a similar vein. Manguel is a better writer and ranges more widely through books and reading in general rather than just describing his collection." (Chris Chamberlain, Amazon review)

Anyway, it was a decent read but not something I would necessarily recommend to anyone, even if you are a huge bookaholic and like reading books about books.

3/5

I think I may have to get myself a copy of eats, shoots, and leaves. It sounds right up my reading ally.

I think I may have to get myself a copy of eats, shoots, and leaves. It sounds right up my reading ally.

I've only read about 14 pages of it but it's quite good and I'm very much looking forward to getting more into it :)

Amazon: ELLING is the endearing and hilarious story of two outsiders struggling to come to terms with the real world. Recently released from a mental hospital, Elling (shy, neurotic, plagued by a wildly overactive imagination) and his best friend Kjell Barnes (big, dim, fundamentally opposed to changing his underwear) share an apartment in Oslo and quickly find themselves overwhelmed by a pregnant neighbor, their demanding caseworker, and the ringing telephone. Sweet, sarcastic, and moving all at the same time, the original Norwegian novel was adapted into an Oscar-nominated film.

Info: Elling is a character created by the Norwegian author Ingvar Ambjørnsen. Elling's story is actually told in a tetralogy: Utsikt til paradiset, Fugledansen, Brødre I blodet and Elsk meg I morgen. Brødre I blodet, the third novel in the series is the basis for the Oscar nominated movie called Elling and according to wikipedia, the English translation of the novel is called Beyond the Great Indoors. I don't think the other novels have been translated into English. And as far as I know, only the second and third novel in the series have been translated into Finnish, which is a real shame because the are fabulously funny and witty and I'd love to read the whole series.

I first re-read Fugledansen ('bird dance' in English, I believe). Elling's mother has died, and as he is unable to cope with life by himself (he's always lived with his mother and has various issues) he is put in a psychiatric hospital. His social contacts have previously consisted of talking to his mother and perhaps visiting the library, so he is paralyzed with fear and anxiety when all of a sudden he finds himself in a strange place and he is having to room up with Kjell Bjarne, this tall and and heavy, very physical being who's is as coarse as Elling tries to be correct. This seemingly odd pair become friends, but not until Kjell Bjarne forces Elling to tell about his sexual adventures with the various women he has been with (Kjell Bjarne has never been with a woman and all he thinks about is food and sex, pretty much, whereas Elling is more of the romantic sort of fellow, who would probably shy away from any kind of physical contact with a woman. He is of course a virgin but he boasts of plenty a pleasurable nights to Kjell Bjarne).

The other part of the book is about the time when Elling's mother was still alive and what their life was like. They once took a trip to Spain which is something quite unexpected because of Elling's various quirks and phobias. When they arrive at the hotel, they find out that the hotel reception has made a slight mistake with the room and there is only one doublebed, for a couple, and not two singles as requested. Elling, the overimaginative, paranoid man that he is, thinks this is something his mother has actually set up in secret: it is his mother's grotesque sex trap and Elling shall be the victim. You can imagine how hard it is for a mother to hear your grown-up son accusing you of something like this! It's appalling, but somehow it makes hilarious reading.

Elling and Kjell Bjarne are fantasticly wicked and fun characters and I laught out loud everytime I read this book. I'll never give up my copy, I will keep on re-reading this til the bitter end!

5/5

Your body bags remind me very much of what we call doona covers here! I couldn't help but imagine someone sleeping in a plastic type sleeping bags until I watched the videos :lol:

Edited by Devi

Your body bags remind me very much of what we call doona covers here! I couldn't help but imagine someone sleeping in a plastic type sleeping bags until I watched the videos :lol:

Yes, black plastic, very comfortable, you should try it sometime :D Just remember to leave an opening for some air :D

Beyond the Great Indoors

(the one Elling book that is translated into English)

by Ingvar Ambjørnsen

Amazon: Elling has a wildly overactive imagination and has been molly-coddled by his mother all his life, so when she dies he is left completely incapable of taking care of himself. After a stint in the very helpful Broynes Rehabilitation Centre, Elling returns to Oslo with his room-mate Kjell Bjarne in tow. Together the odd couple embark on a free-spirited new life.

On a quest to live like normal average people, Elling and Kjell's friendship grows - kittens, girlfriends and terrorist poetry enter the equation - even fame beckons. But there are fears to conquer before that, answering the telephone for one, leaving the house for another and the journey outdoors is by no means an easy one.

A touching and hiliarious comedy of anxiety from Norway's biggest talent, Beyond the Great Indoors rejoices in the simplest pleasures of life and reminds us of the importance of conquering our everyday fears.

Thoughts: The boys are back in town :D Now they can do whatever they want, whenever they want and they don't have to worry about any kind of staff monitoring they are performing their daily routines, on time and in the correct manner. This kind of freedom is of course exhilirating but the boys soon find out that there are some nasty responsibilities as well. And how to start the social networking that their 'parol officer', Frank, so insists them on doing?

As funny as ever, this is a novel to re-read and re-read over and over again. I heartily recommend this to anyone who's interested!

5/5

Kylie, here's a pic of the book cover. Does it remind you of anyone?

Sister

by Rosamund Lupton

I couldn't find a decent synopsis or blurb of the novel online, all of them seemed to give away the plot almost entirely and I don't want to spoil this novel for anyone. So all I'll say is that it's about two sisters. Beatrice gets a call from her Mom, saying that her sister Tess has gone missing. Beatrice flies over to UK to try and find her sister: they are very close and she knows her sister better than anyone else and she believes she'll be able to find Tess.

Thoughts: I'm very much astonished that this is a debut novel, it was so well written and impressively paced. The different forms of narratives worked very well and what can I say, this is a cliché but it was a real pageturner for me. And the ending was terrific, I didn't expect that at all and I was so scared and my heart was breaking with every single line. Brilliant stuff! I will definitely read more by the author if there's more to come.

5/5

You have told about Elling before Frankie. I wish that the first novel was available in English. They sound hilarious.

Sister and The Ladies Of Missalonghi sound good though.