Frankie reads 2012

frankie

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Laura! :smile2:

I've just come from the library. I took four novels to the free book exchange trolley and I found one in return, which I couldn't leave there once I discovered it. What amazing luck: there was a copy of Leo Tolstoy's Childhood, Adolescence, Youth as an omnibus! It seems really intriguing. And very curious that it should be an English copy.

I wikied the book, because it seemed like a diary but I wasn't sure if it was fictional and found this:

"Tolstoy's earliest works, the autobiographical novels Childhood, Boyhood and Youth (1852–1856), tell of a rich landowner's son and his slow realization of the chasm between himself and his peasants. Though he later rejected them as sentimental, a great deal of Tolstoy's own life is revealed. They retain their relevance as accounts of the universal story of growing up."

A great find! :)

I'm in for a treat! The English copy of Matilda has finally arrived, and it's an unabridged version :D I only have 30 pages left of In Cold Blood, and I'm seriously in the need of some light fiction. I think Matilda will fit the bill, and Tom's Midnight Garden is also calling out my name! Oh, have I already mentioned on here, that I got a lovely, surprise copy of it from Jänet? :wub: I'm scatterbrainering, I don't remember if I've already mentioned it :D Anyway, thank you Janet! :flowers2:

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! It's such a great story. I hope you love it as much as I do. :)

I did enjoy it indeed, although I must admit that having seen the movie first I was expecting some particular things to happen, which then didn't. I wish I'd read the book first, I would've enjoyed it a lot more that way. I think the movie is very well made and it captures the story. I just adore Mara Wilson :smile2: I should definitely copy down the Matilda Wormwood Reading Challenge booklist somewhere.

Kylie, I had to take back Mencken's The American Language book yesterday :( It was so sad! I was leafing through it, to sort of say a temporary goodbye to it, and I found a note between the pages. It was from a notepad, 'The Town Club, Denver', and somebody had written down the meanings of the words 'schlep' and 'schleppler' :D And at the bottom someone had written down 'John Levy, FashionBar'. I googled that, and I found this:

DENVER -- John Levy has been named president of the Fashion Bar specialty stores based here, succeeding Robert Levy, his brother, who is leaving to oversee other family businesses.

The appointment is effective Feb. 1.

John Levy was formerly executive vice-president of operations at Fashion Bar, which operates 87 men's women's and shoe stores in Colorado and Wyoming.

How odd :D Needless to say, I kept the note as a 'souvenier', hehe!

Oh, the book was so beautiful. A massive blue hardback, with the pages having ragged edges or how would you say, and you can just tell that the book is old. I wish the library wants to get rid of it and then I could buy it! (I was browsing through their books for sale -shelf yesterday, all was for 0,5e only. Nothing interesting there, though.)

Edit: I forgot: I've lost my mojo :( I spent quite a long time searching for a book that would grab my attention last night before I went to bed. I never go to bed without having a book to read. It felt very weird. Finally I got Daphne du Maurier's collection of short stories (including The Birds and The Apple Tree) and I got on with it but my thoughts were somewhere else.

I'm going to have a really relaxing weekend, I hope to read and watch movies and watch the Ice Hockey Worldchampionship matches. I'm going to go to uni library after I've had my lunch, I'm going to borrow that Mencken book again and see if I can find something else that'll get my mojo going. I'm going to see if there are any other Norton Juster books in the library, and maybe something else. Something short, quick and easy.

Aww, poor Mencken. :(

I bought a Mencken book off ebay the other day; hopefully I'll receive it on Monday. :) It's Thirty-Five Years of Newspaper Work: A Memoir by HL Mencken.

Aww, poor Mencken. :(

I bought a Mencken book off ebay the other day; hopefully I'll receive it on Monday. :) It's Thirty-Five Years of Newspaper Work: A Memoir by HL Mencken.

Oh my god, that's going to be so great!! :smile2: I bet Rory's read it, but she just never mentioned it because maybe she thought that would've been bragging. People already know she's read the two Menckens!

Oh btw, I've been meaning to tell you, I've started watching GG again! They show two eps on TV every weekend, one ep on Sat and one on Sun. It's been such a treat! I think it has to be the last season, because

a) Luke has just gotten joint custody for April, b) Chris found out about Lorelai's letter of recommendation to the judge on Luke's case and they just broke up in last Sunday's ep. I think Emily will find out over this weekend.

Oh and Richard's

just had another heart attack in class. Oh man it's probably going to be a very sad episode tomorrow.

You know how I've only seen the last 2-3 seasons only twice or three times and can't remember everything.

Very cool! I think it must be nearing the end of the last season then. I'm glad you're getting to watch the episodes again. You've only seen them once before, I think?

If Rory never mentioned it because it would be bragging, does that mean I've been bragging? ;) A memoir about working on newspapers sounds right up her alley, doesn't it?

Very cool! I think it must be nearing the end of the last season then. I'm glad you're getting to watch the episodes again. You've only seen them once before, I think?

Hehe, yes, two or three times, like I said in my previous post which you were too quick to read in full :giggle:

If Rory never mentioned it because it would be bragging, does that mean I've been bragging? ;) A memoir about working on newspapers sounds right up her alley, doesn't it?

No, I meant that she didn't talk about that book and the rest of the Menckens because her friends and relatives (apart from good old Richard!) weren't as book-crazed as she was. They wouldn't have necessarily appreciated that sort of conversation. Like for instance Sookie, who just last weekend announced she was going to read Sue Graftons. Poor Sookie, she's just found out Jackson didn't go through with the 'Nip&Tuck' that he was supposed to go through :giggle:

So, whereas someone in Stars Hollow might roll their eyes when Rory mentioned reading another Mencken, over here we do not roll our eyes, we are excited and happy for the other person. And you know that, you naughty girl! :D

And yep, the book is written for people like Rory :)

I went to the uni library today, it was a pretty excellent trip! At first I went to see if the Mencken book was there, and it was, so I immediately snatched it :giggle: It was in the language studies section, so I somehow started thinking about the grammar book Kylie's always talking about. I couldn't remember the author's name correct, and I was also a bit hazy on the title. I went to the computer and searched for 'Eats, Shits and Leaves' but had no luck with that. Then I realized it must be Eats, Shoots and Leaves. :rolleyes: There was a copy at the library and I went to get it. I didn't remember it was all about punctuation! I read the blurb and it made me laugh, and I finally learnt the story behind the title. Good stuff! I can't wait to read it.

I then went to see the literature studies section to see if I could find something there that I fancied reading. I found a copy of Conversations with Ernest Hemingway, and it seemed like a really readable book so I got that as well. Then I went to the fiction section. There are some rare gems there, that the town library does not have, and in English as well. I got As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, Supernaiivi by Erlend Loe and Ibsen's A Doll's House (I never knew it was a play!).

I was then leaving the library, thinking I had plenty of excellent books to choose from over the weekend. I was on my way to borrow the books when, as an afterthought, I decided to take a quick look at the 'recently acquired books'. And it was worth it! I found a brand new copy of Jack Kerouac & Allen Ginsberg - The Letters! :D Oh boy!

I had to visit the town library as well because I had to return a book. I went over to the free book trolley and wohoo, I found a copy of Dorothy L. Sayers's Murder Must Advertise, which I knew is on the 1001 Books list. I also found a darling little book of The Little Prince in German, I just had to have it, I'm going to try and read it. It has a small vocabulary section at the back so that's cool :smile2:

Then I went to return the book, and I'd already decided I was not going to go through the different sections of books as usual, because I had plenty of books to read already. I'd also decided I would not take a look at the book for sale -trolley, as it usually only has copies of boring books, in Finnish. I don't know what happened, though, because I sort of gave in and went to look at the trolley anyway. And there it was. A copy of Sinuhe the Egyptian by Mika Waltari!!

Sinuhe the Egyptian is a Finnish classic, a whopping 786 page long doorstopper. I've tried reading it twice but didn't get no farther than the second page. So, instead of always borrowing the book from the library, I've wanted to get a copy of my own since, maybe 2008. Because I want to read it, and some friends say it's a great book once you get into it. However. I've never come across any copies in secondhand bookshops or charityshops. And new copies in bookstores would probably go over 20e. So I've kind of given up on finding a copy. But there it was! This massive classic I've been wanting to find for years! And for 20cnt only! :o That was a STEAL. When I went to the register to pay for it, I noticed the library employee was taken aback when he saw the book, I bet he couldn't believe the library was selling the copy in the first place, and for 20 cents! :lol:

What a perfect bookish day!

Edit: Kylie: Yesterday I was occupied with one of the Letters and Numbers -books you sent me some time ago. I love it that in the back, in the answers section they first give you the possible 'contestant solution(s)' which are the six, seven or perhaps eight-letter words, and then they give you the 'master solution(s)', the eight or nine-letter words that David Astle would come up with. And yesterday I came up with the same master solution that was given at the back of the book!! I was so thrilled :lol: Thanks for the books, again, they are so much fun! And the episodes you've been so good to record for me :flowers2:

And guess what? Yesterday I realised that if I have two or more friends over, ones that are fellow English students or just naturally good at English, I could totally play Richard Morecroft and have them be the contestants!! How fun would that be?!

Eats, Shits and Leaves :D :D :D :D

I choked on my tea (A very English Earl Grey) reading that, it's a shame that they didn't go with that title although I doubt it would have sold quite as well if they had.

Edited by Brian.

Eats, Shits and Leaves :D :D :D :D

I choked on my tea (A very English Earl Grey) reading that, it's a shame that they didn't go with that title although I doubt it would have sold quite as well if they had.

:giggle: Are you sure it wouldn't have sold even more copies? ;)

Well, there is a book called Eats, Sh*tes and Leaves, which is a parody of the original. I've read it and enjoyed it. :)

Ah, I knew there was a reason why I thought it was 'shits'! I'm not whack after all :D