Where do you get your books?

~Andrea~

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my books come from either Waterstones, W.H. Smith - Tesco - and our local hospital outpatients department.

they have a great selection of used books - (you have to be quick) but all proceeds go to Breat Cancer support.

I also recently found a copy of a great book, *Trace* by Patricia Cornwell whilst waiting in my Dentist's waiting room! (ouch) -:D

The books are handed in by patients and the proceeds (they just ask for a donation) go to the local Isabel Hospice, which i like the idea of.

I do love finding a bargain book, but have been known to pay over the odds for something I really wanted and didn't want to wait for the paperback edition.:D

I generally get my books given to me. When family visit, they often bring me a few novels to keep me going, which they tend to buy from charity shops and jumble sales etc.. I have heard however that there is a new English book shop opened in the resort, so I may have to pop down there at some point.

Bookmooch if I'm feeling good, Waterstones or any bookshop really. B) Amazon's a ripoff - I dislike buying online cos I reckon you should support highstreet bookshops (especially the smaller ones if there is one). If I do buy online though it's from Play, which I did last time as I erm... for some reason wanted this book I'd never heard of before. :roll:

i get a lot of my books from amazon and a local bookstore in my neighborhood- i work for an AIDS organization that has a used bookstore and i get a lot og books from there as well:lol:

I can't use the library. I hate giving up possession of books and the fact that you have to read them by "such and such" a date. I prefer to know I can go to Watrestones and buy a book, crack the spine and fold the pages down and that it is mine forever.

There is always renewal Wraith, which is made even better by the library online service. I agree with you about possession though. I don't like taking books back, but then I can't afford all the books i want either.

I used to get my books from Amazon as a student (both fiction and non). I would also buy them at the student union bookstall or the christian union bookstall, or at various shops when wondering the city centre (I found the supermakets good). Since leaving uni I have been reading books I already have, or going to the library, or borrowing from other people. That is mainly because people have offered me books and I have too many to read on my shelves anyway. I would buy them if I really wanted too. If I get through my shelves, there are a few I would like to buy, but I have plenty to get on with for now.

The next book buy will probably be Harry Potter (I'm actually planning to get it for my birthday) and that will most likely be from Smiths.

Amazon's a ripoff - I dislike buying online cos I reckon you should support highstreet bookshops (especially the smaller ones if there is one)

The thing is, Amazon and other online stores can be so much cheaper than the highstreet - if I want a book now, I usually go online and search for it, as I'm trying to save money to do my postgrad (and for living in London generally!).

One argument for Amazon/Play etc against Waterstones/WH Smiths etc is that at least you can usually find more obscure books and writers: with Waterstones and Smiths, it tends to be whichever publisher has paid them enough to push their products that month!

But I do try and support indie bookshops, god bless 'em: I always justify paying full price B) And I often treat myself to a book from my local indie bookshop as I'm working fulltime at the moment. But I can't do that whenever I want a book :)

Saying all this, I'm mostly buying from Charity Shops, Green Metropolis and other online second-hand stores at the moment! :roll:

Amazon is a rip off though £2.45 postage? yeah right. I do go to Play or sometimes Abebooks (make a point of avoiding Amazon for most thing but reviews actually... it usually works out cheaper) when I want something specific. But personally, just browsing through a bookshop is half the fun. Only I accidently pick one, two, maybe five up on the way out. I AM more controlled with books online, I admit.

I can't afford all the books i want either.

Nor me and library books allow me to try out new authors without the expense. If I really like a book then I buy it.