Hard one to answer

Hey guys,

I'm posting this as Christmas is coming up and I'm looking for books for my girlfriend. She is a creative writing major who just graduated and loves reading. I am more of a sports guy and don't really know a lot about her interests.

What I can do is list what I know! I know that she loves books set in the deep south (I.e. Local People - John Dittmer) but also loves fiction set through the civil war, civil rights movement etc.

She is also into creative writing so if there are any outstanding works which you would think could stand out to a creative writing major, please let me know. I want to put together 7-8 books for her but I really don't know where to start!

Thanks so much,

Johnnie

Haha just re-read that, wow. Didn't mean I don't know about her interests, just that I didn't know what kind of books she liked!

Makes me sound like a terrible boyfriend!

The Help would have been my first choice but Duncan beat me to it...

Of Mice and Men ? Shamefully I haven't read it yet myself but I think that one is set in the south

Secret Life of Bees

Black Like Me - John Howard Griffin. She may not have heard of this one, but she will love it.

Incidents In The life Of A Slave Girl Harriet Anne Jacobs

Edited by vodkafan

Been thinking Johnnie here's one out of left field: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Nothing to do with the south but it just might catch her imagination. You always got to have one different to show you are thinking out of the box. :wink:

Edited by vodkafan