TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

I'm reading the book again.

I have to admit, on re-reading it, I really think there's a dimension to Edward that Rob Pattinson didn't capture. In the movie, Edward is very tortured, both as a vampire and in his relations with humans. He's very emo and self-loathing overall. And you never really get the impression he COULD hurt Bella. But in the book, there are moments where he really has to focus to control himself, and he genuinely seems dangerous. I think in the book, he seems extraordinarily sure of himself as a vampire, it's just he has issues dealing with relations with people. Theres just something much less human about him in the book.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading the book again.

I have to admit, on re-reading it, I really think there's a dimension to Edward that Rob Pattinson didn't capture. In the movie, Edward is very tortured, both as a vampire and in his relations with humans. He's very emo and self-loathing overall. And you never really get the impression he COULD hurt Bella. But in the book, there are moments where he really has to focus to control himself, and he genuinely seems dangerous. I think in the book, he seems extraordinarily sure of himself as a vampire, it's just he has issues dealing with relations with people. Theres just something much less human about him in the book.

I agree with what you have said Roxi. He was quite happily putting his arm around her etc in the film with ease. I guess they didn't have time in the film to show his darker side?!

Yeah, it's kinda disappointing actually. I think they tried to make him seem dangerous, but it never worked. Notably, Bella was actually scared sometimes in the book, it wouldn't have hurt to have hinted at that in the movie before she decided she wasn't afraid.

yeah, she wasn't scared at all in the film really. With Edward, I think they tried to show his struggle, ie in the biology scene, but from then on, he was pretty much fine and didn't really seem to struggle being around Bella at all. He quite happily puts his arm around her when they get out of the car at school without any hesitation.

They tried to show Jaspers struggle, but he just looked petrified!!!

And like he was in pain. That's one of the best lines in the movie. 'The little dark haired one, that's Alice, she's *really* weird. And she's with Jasper, the blond one who looks like he's in pain.' When I saw that in the cinema the whole place errupted into laughter.

Jasper's the man though. The baseball scene was epic, when he was swinging the bat around and things. Hehe.

In the book I'm just up to where she goes to their house. I'd forgotten how different the book is to the movie.

Its quite a bit different in the book!! I imagined the Cullen House to look a lot different than it did in the film. I imagined panelled walls and stuff. I also thought that Edward's room would be massive!

I also love Jasper in the baseball scene - Emmett was really good as well. Definately my favourite scene in the film.

I like the canteen scene - it's good as you know that they can all hear what Jessica is saying!!

I know it must be hard to translate certain things from page to screen, but it's not impossible, and I agree that the team could have worked harder at doing that w/the film. Hopefully with this next one they can convincingly show the struggle, even though Edward and Bella aren't really even in the same situations, and not make it seem like everyone is thinking 'oh, no big deal.' You never know, this new director might take it in a whole new direction.

I love Jasper too. During the commentary track on the DVD they all laugh at that scene and others about how pained Jasper looked, lol. I think he was the only of the cast members who didn't have to practice and rehearse playing baseball, either, and you can tell.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the obvious change in Edward and Bella's relationship when novel went to film. I didn't like the film at all, because I didn't feel it depicted what I thought the novel was all about - Edward and Bella, bloodthirsty vampire and human, together. That was the appeal for me. That made it romantic. Is he going to rip her to shreds or manage to control his bloodlust... Oooh... The suspence! In the film that just translated as... boring... But, since this is a Twilight the novel thread, I am getting horribly off-topic and should end my rant. End :D

One of my American friends was telling me how much she loved the film last night, and I was trying to tell her that the books were different to the film and actually much better, I think I managed to persuade her to read them in the end though :D But yeah I do think the book is way better than the film, although the baseball scene is amazing, and my favourite bit of the film :eek2:

I really think there's a dimension to Edward that Rob Pattinson didn't capture. In the movie, Edward is very tortured, both as a vampire and in his relations with humans. He's very emo and self-loathing overall. And you never really get the impression he COULD hurt Bella. But in the book, there are moments where he really has to focus to control himself, and he genuinely seems dangerous. I think in the book, he seems extraordinarily sure of himself as a vampire, it's just he has issues dealing with relations with people. Theres just something much less human about him in the book.

I totally agree with this. And I think that's a huge element to miss out, he just didn't capture that part, at all. The fact that he manages to control himself and wants to for her is all part of the appeal in the book, and yet it was missing from the film! One scene almost got it, and they bloody cut it out! Have you seen the deleted scenes yet? When you get the chance, check out the one 'She's not one of us'. Oh my god, Robert gets this head on that makes him look so tortured and just rargh. He's looking at Bella like he really wants her, and it's sooo much more intense than the first ridiculous Biology scene. They made a mistake cutting that out, it showed his inner turmoil a bit more, even if it was only a 30 sec clip.

Baseball scene was my fav too, Lexie! :D:mrgreen:

And, I wanna re-read them! :eek2:

I haven't seen the deleted scenes yet O_O

I wanna see Rob all RWAARGH! :D

eta: I just watched a couple on youtube where the dialogue was lifted directly from the book, and they were great.

Edited by Nollaig

The second I get money I'll buy it. Literally. Want now must have. Even more than food.

I saw the finger biting scene on youtube. They shoulda left that in. It at least HINTS at his dangerous side.

I loved how he pulled her to the ground in that scene, and how it looked so natural! Loved that. Agreed, they should've kept that in. Did you see the one with Esme and Carlisle talking about Edward? They should've kept that one in too; it gave Edward's character a bit more depth. And also hinted once again at the actual danger. :D