TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

I can definitely relate a bit to your reasons for not liking Jacob's character.. I also enjoyed the 2nd book less than the others, and found his bits to be somewhat boring.

I enjoyed most of the books, too, but by the end, I think I'd had too much of a good thing. I felt like it started out really strong with "Twilight," and I was hooked on that book. And then the 2nd book was so much Jacob that I was like "ehhhh..." but I was excited about the 3rd book because I'd heard it went back to the Bella/Edward storyline more closely. But by the time I was done with all 4, I was just "Twilight Saga-ed out." I was really happy to be done as that last book was soooo long.. I didn't even mind the last book, but I read all 4 books back to back and I think that was my mistake. Instead of being left wanting more, I felt like I'd be suffocated by the Twilight Saga for 2 months and I was really happy to get out from under that cover.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely relate a bit to your reasons for not liking Jacob's character.. I also enjoyed the 2nd book less than the others, and found his bits to be somewhat boring.

I enjoyed most of the books, too, but by the end, I think I'd had too much of a good thing. I felt like it started out really strong with "Twilight," and I was hooked on that book. And then the 2nd book was so much Jacob that I was like "ehhhh..." but I was excited about the 3rd book because I'd heard it went back to the Bella/Edward storyline more closely. But by the time I was done with all 4, I was just "Twilight Saga-ed out." I was really happy to be done as that last book was soooo long.. I didn't even mind the last book, but I read all 4 books back to back and I think that was my mistake. Instead of being left wanting more, I felt like I'd be suffocated by the Twilight Saga for 2 months and I was really happy to get out from under that cover.

This is pretty much exactly how it went down with me. The last 50-100 pages of Breaking Dawn were pretty frustrating, particularly given the fact that my girlfriend had whinged about the ending before I got to it. In the end I just wanted to get it over and done with.

We're all done now, Thank Goodness! :blush:

I think if she ever chooses to publish "Midnight Sun," I'll have to take a year or so before I could read it. I need that break before I could appreciate the pick up of the story again, I think.

:blush: I don't understand why everyone hates Jake, I don't mind him at all, and I like him as Bella's friend, the only thing I really disliked was when he imprinted, I though that was totally unnecessary and a little creepy

I thought that was creepy too - and how he was almost like the parent at times....not right in my mind

I didn't really mind his character that much. The one thing that did annoy me was his refusal to give it up. That became annoying for me.

Yeah I wanted to tell him to get over it. He was a good friend when she needed that, but then he wouldn't give up even though he could see he wasn't going to win. Irritating.

This is pretty much exactly how it went down with me. The last 50-100 pages of Breaking Dawn were pretty frustrating, particularly given the fact that my girlfriend had whinged about the ending before I got to it. In the end I just wanted to get it over and done with.

I think the book was a little too long and I struggled a bit at the end too, it was a bit too long-winded and could have been so much more exciting. Instead of talk, there could have been blood!

My least favourite book was also New Moon. When I re-read the books I skipped out so much of this book.....mainly Jacob's bit if I'm honest but that doesn't mean that I don't like him. I just think the whole 'Bella mourning Edward' section was really boring!

In Breaking Dawn, I really liked Jacob's point of view. It was a nice change and I found parts of it pretty funny.

I really can't believe people were burning books......that's crazy!!

I also found Jacob's part in Breaking Dawn pretty funny. I've never been overly keen on his character but Breaking Dawn did change that a little bit.

I was really sad to end the saga. I could've read more! But then I read it all in about a week so it all went really fast.

I read the entire series in 6 days.

My poor brain wasn't quite sure what I had just done to it. From zero to TWILIGHT!!! in 6 days. Wouldn't wish that on ANYBODY :blush:

LOL Roxi, you crack me up! I've only read the first 2 in the series and that was during a long weekend so now I don't feel so odd, lol. I was thinking I needed to take a pause before picking up #3, and I just found out that it's not even in paperback until May here so that'll force me to wait since I can't justify buying the hardcover. Plus, it would bug me not to have all paperbacks, lol. Guess I'll just have to reread the others or perhaps watch the hilarious commentary on the DVD.

Breaking Dawn is my least favourite of the books. Although I didn't hate it, I just thought things were taken too far. I didn't like the imprinting, infact, I think that Rennesme could have been ditched altogether (although she was the main point!). I would also have liked to have heard more about

Bella becoming a vamp, with a few more descriptions other than she took to it all really easily!

Breaking Dawn is my least favourite of the books. Although I didn't hate it, I just thought things were taken too far. I didn't like the imprinting, infact, I think that Rennesme could have been ditched altogether (although she was the main point!).

I agree. I liked the saga the first time I read it, but thinking about it afterwards, it seemed that the author took her own idea too far. I enjoyed everything up to the point where the Volturi (or whatever they called those Italian vamps) got involved. After that, everything became too fantastical... and then Breaking Dawn happened. I would've been fine with Edward and Bella conyinuing their human/vampire relationship until the end of her days. Isn't that what makes it so romantic? :blush:

That being said, I still think the Twilight Saga is excellent reading material for teens today. Good clean fun. :D

Good clean fun on the whole?

I felt physically sick when

Bella's third or fourth rib cracked, let alone when her spine started going.

However, what you said about the relationship continuing to the end of her days, THAT I like. That I would pay money to read. A book where there aren't any 'happy endings' only 'bittersweet celebrations of the here and now.'

Good clean fun on the whole?

I felt physically sick when

Bella's third or fourth rib cracked, let alone when her spine started going.

However, what you said about the relationship continuing to the end of her days, THAT I like. That I would pay money to read. A book where there aren't any 'happy endings' only 'bittersweet celebrations of the here and now.'

I meant good clean fun in a non sex-drugs-and-partying-till-dawn way. :blush:

But, yes, no happy ending is what I was looking forward to at the end of Twilight.. The idea of that is what held my attention through reading all the pre-Breaking Dawn novels... Too bad it didn't turn out that way.. *sigh*

Twilight was actually a bloody good book. It was horribly written, but there are some great quotes, great ideas, great character basis-eses I can't do that word in the plural, and the fact that theres no definate end is great. I like books and movies and stories like that.

Spoiler contains summary of book ending:

Bella: I'm gonna be a vampire.

Edward: Are not.

Bella: Am so.

Edward: .....

Bella: Am.

Fin.

It's great. I mean, you don't KNOW, it's up to you to decide. I just like it. I think she could have made a trilogy, cut out a load of **** and focused on the good stuff, like, well, pretty much just Carlisle. He da man.

I don't know. That's one of Meyer's biggest problems: the key to writing a good fantasy novel is grounding it someway. Provide set rules. Provide some kind of realism, even if it's only the lack of a 'happy ever after.' Even with some set rules in Twilight, Bella still is magically perfect and everyone magically turns into a pacifist and so on.

I would've been fine with Edward and Bella continuing their human/vampire relationship until the end of her days. Isn't that what makes it so romantic? :blush:

I totally agree! She could've lived out her life and he would follow her into death, like he said. The fact that he couldn't live without her would have been so much more romantic that what actually unfolded.

I don't entirely have a problem with how it played out, but I think a great tragedy or something to bring down the esctasy level towards the end would have been good, and perhaps giving the authors rights over to somebody else.