Are you an autograph king?

runner

So there I was it was 1980 and I was young and good looking (well we can all dream :D :mrgreen: )and I was at Jurys hotel in Dublin when someone said that Miss Lauren Bacall was next door in Eason's bookshop signing her autobio "By Myself" (which was recently re issued and updated)Being a great fan of both her and Mr Bogart I went next door and joined the queue of happy and adoring fans...when my turn came I said "Miss Bacall loved your book it was a beautiful love story" (cheesy or what!)She said thanks in what sounded like a New York drawl and asked me did I want the book inscribed to anyone to which I replied "Miss Bacall could you put with love to Trev from Lauren Bacall"....in which she replied in her now very annoying New York drawl...."No I will not"....so she signed to Trev and that was it....my claim to fame :D what's yours?

I have a sizeable collection of signed books, mostly non fiction, by among others, Lawrence Gardner, Graham Phillips, Andrew Collins and Neale Donald Walsh. The one I am most proud of though is Michael J Strazynski, creator of Babylon 5, who signed one of the book of B5 scripts that my partner and I collected after they were issued in book form. We were also lucky enough to get a signed copy of G'kar's Declaration of Principles when they were auctioned online (only 500 were issued in total). Of course, none of this will mean anything to anyone who is not themselves a B5 fan (or for that matter, anyone who does not read non fiction - the majority on here I often feel) ...

I have a few signed books but not from signings, I either bought them or they were given to me as presents. I have a Terry Pratchett one which is my favourite, a Carlos Ruiz Zaphon, Kai Meyer, E.R. Reilly and John Pridmore (which you may be happy to hear is a non fiction Talisman) :lol:

So no claims to fame and none of them are of much physical value but I love them all anyway :)

Well, me living in Finland, I don't even have that many opportunities to get autographs by people you guys would know.

But, I have had the pleasure to see Anathema play live, and I have the bandmembers autographs. I've also received Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard from Linda Gillard herself, and she had signed the copy to me :smile2:

I've only managed to get Jasper Fforde to sign a book for me so far but the local Waterstones have a lot of good authors signing so I am in hopes of nabbing a Gaiman in the future or a Pratchett.

Musically speaking, Nelly Furtado wrote all over my 'Woah Nelly' once .. vandal!

No autographed books, but I wrote to the author of the Wycliffe books, W J Burley about 10 years ago (addressed to "W J Burley, Author of Wycliffe Books, Newquay, Cornwall") and had a lovely letter back from him.

I did the same to Chris Stewart, author of Driving Over Lemons (addressed to "Chris Stewart, Author, Andalucia, Spain") and got a postcode from him.

I think the only other autographs I've got are Alan Fletcher (Karl Kennedy from Neighbours) and Derren Brown!

Prob the most valuable signed book I have is the autobio of Stewart Granger "Sparks fly upward" ye old hollywood actor....which I picked up at a table top sale...but it still cost me a few pounds

The only autograph I ever received was from Elton John.

This was maybe 15 years ago, and I didn't meet him.

A friend of mine happened to have his actual address in Buckhead, Georgia.

I wrote to that address and requested an autographed picture, not really expecting to get one.

A week later an autographed picture arrived in my mailbox. He even wrote "To Kimberly"! :D

I don't have many signed books, but the ones I do own are pretty special to me. I have 2 signed first editions from Jon Hassler, 'Rookery Blues' and 'Staggerford.' I also have a signed first edition of Matthew Pearl's 'The Poe Shadow.' I also have a signed paperback of 'The Dante Club.' I had a hard cover but I lost it in the fire, along with an autographed copy of Anthony Kiedis's bio, Scar Tissue.' :(

Other than books I have a lovely signed photo of the Neck (thanks, Weave!), a signed album by the band The Dig and a signed jazz print by photographer Herb Snitzer.

I don't have many signed books, but the ones I do own are pretty special to me. I have 2 signed first editions from Jon Hassler, 'Rookery Blues' and 'Staggerford.' I also have a signed first edition of Matthew Pearl's 'The Poe Shadow.' I also have a signed paperback of 'The Dante Club.' I had a hard cover but I lost it in the fire, along with an autographed copy of Anthony Kiedis's bio, Scar Tissue.' :(

Other than books I have a lovely signed photo of the Neck (thanks, Weave!), a signed album by the band The Dig and a signed jazz print by photographer Herb Snitzer.

7.gif

I have a handful of signed Discorld novels, a proof copy of Good Omens signed by both Mr Pratchett and Mr Gaiman, and a couple of signed bookplates which are in some of my Kelley Armstrong Women of the Otherworld books and a couple of signed books by both Christopher Brookmyre. I also now have a beautiful numbered, signed limited edition of The White Queen by Philippa Gregory which has pride of place ni my permanent collection. :)

On top of that, I have a couple of books signed by Stuart MacBride, one of which was sigend during our book group meeting when I was pregnant with Xander. He signed it "Good luck with the thing growing in your belly. ;)" I love that he personalised it for me and I have a cool story to tell Xander when he grows up. Actually, Stuart MacBride has been the lovliest author who's signed books for me while I've been there - he always talks to the fans and never rushes people through the lines. He's funny and humble and, well, just an all-round nice guy. We had a great time at our book group with him. :)

• 1 month later...

I have a Terry Pratchett one which is my favourite, a Carlos Ruiz Zaphon, Kai Meyer, E.R. Reilly and John Pridmore (which you may be happy to hear is a non fiction Talisman) laugh.gif

I also have a signed book from Kai Meyer, which book do you have? I'm just wondering because he's my favourite german author and I would like to know if we mean the same person. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got a few signed books but I've never met the authors in person. I've got Jonathan Strouds, Michelle Pavers & Marcus Sedgewick but my OH has a special one, a 1983 edition of The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. The story is that Sir Pratchett used to live next door to my partners, mothers, uncle and when the uncle died his loft was cleared out and they found the book. Theres a message inside the cover that reads: To Norris, with distaste in the hope that he'll put the knife away, Terry Pratchett. Its obviously personal and Terry Pratchett had moved by the time uncle Norris had died so no one knows what it really means but its a nice hierloom! We have quite a few newer books signed by Terry Pratchett too as we are both fans

What a wonderfully enigmatic message from Sir TP! :smile:

I know! I'd love to find out what it means but also I wouldnt as its something we'll aways guess about. Uncle Norris was miles away and no one really had any contact with him and we don't know of any of his friends so unless I meet Terry Pratchett one day we'll never know!

• 1 month later...

It seems like many people have signed books which I guess comes to prove that it isnt hard to get many signed books or even a single one.Personally,I don't have any signed books although I had a magazine(sport) once I had a person who was in it(someone in the olympics)to sign it for me :smile:

No they arent hard to get at all. E-bay, amazon and even waterstones often sell signed copies. Ive never met any of the authors that have signed my books ive either bought them when the author had just become recognised and sold a few copies signed or I bought them signed on-line.

Another thing I'm quite fond of is antique books being signed by their original owner (not the author) I have The Old Curiosity Shop by Charls Dickins and on the inside of the book it says To Michael, a gift your loving sister Violet, 02 Jan 1801

Another thing I'm quite fond of is antique books being signed by their original owner (not the author) I have The Old Curiosity Shop by Charls Dickins and on the inside of the book it says To Michael, a gift your loving sister Violet, 02 Jan 1801

Ummm... isn't that about 40 years before it was published? Maybe 1901?

No they arent hard to get at all. E-bay, amazon and even waterstones often sell signed copies. Ive never met any of the authors that have signed my books ive either bought them when the author had just become recognised and sold a few copies signed or I bought them signed on-line.

Maybe one day I will buy a book autographed...when I leave iran.

Ummm... isn't that about 40 years before it was published? Maybe 1901?

XD