Sad - Demise of the world's largest living Tree

muggle not

The biggest tree in the world

The General Sherman Tree is the most giant Giant Sequoia in the world. The largest tree by volume, it is 275 feet tall and 36.5 feet across at the base. The tree is believed to be 2,200 years old and weigh 1,385 tons. But those are numbers -- numbers that a brain familiarized with normal trees cannot process. In reality, the only way to appreciate the unfathomable, seemingly unearthly size of the Giant Sequoias is the see one for yourself.

Sadly, on last night's news it shows that General Sherman is done, it has fallen. It was estimated to being over 2300 years old.

My wife and I visited Sequoia National Park and seen the tree in the 1980's. It was a sight we will never forget and is difficult to explain the feeling one gets just looking at it.

That is sad. I think I remember reading about this tree. Strange to think it was growing hundreds of years before the start point of the calendar system we use.

At least it seems to have fallen naturally, rather than being vandalised or cut down for a road or something.

Edited by Duncan

Wow, that's sad. I love giant trees and thought I had seen a few in my time, but now I think I've only seen 'tiny' trees compared to this one.

Noll, I can't find a single mention of the tree falling either. Did you see actual footage on the news, Muggle? Seems strange that I can't find anything.

Wow, that's sad. I love giant trees and thought I had seen a few in my time, but now I think I've only seen 'tiny' trees compared to this one.

Noll, I can't find a single mention of the tree falling either. Did you see actual footage on the news, Muggle? Seems strange that I can't find anything.

MSNBC news program showed the tree as it had fallen.There was a park ranger standing besides the tree and she was being interviewed. Initially, they don't know what was the cause for the tree to topple, however, they thought it may hve been from so much rain soaking in the ground.

It was not General sherman tree that has fallen, I apologize as I only caught part of the telecast. They showed a photo of General sherman on the telecast and then stated that a giant sequoia has fallen. I thought they meant General Sherman. Instead it was a similar tree except this one was 'only" 1500 years old :)

Watch the video. You have to watch the commercial first.

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/03/8621758-what-happens-when-a-1500-year-old-tree-falls

Instead it was a similar tree except this one was 'only" 1500 years old :)

Just a baby then :D I think they should just leave it where it is. The length of a football field!! It's hard to imagine what it's like to look up at these trees unless you've seen them.

Just a baby then :D I think they should just leave it where it is. The length of a football field!! It's hard to imagine what it's like to look up at these trees unless you've seen them.

I am totally embarrased that I posted that the "downed' tree was the General Sherman. However, I am very happy that it wasn't General Sherman, what a magnificient tree. I will try to find pictures I took of the tree. The diameter will amaze you when you see it.

It wasn't the oldest tree, paun. Muggle misunderstood the news at first. But even so, that tree was very old.

I saw a giant tree once and since there were so many "normal" trees around it, I couldn't even see a single one of its branches. They were to high above the other trees.