National Children’s Book Week (3 – 9 October)

Kell

Just realised it's National Children's Book Week (see article HERE about best-loved children's books).

So, what are YOUR favourite children's books? Which titles transport you straight back t oa time of innocence? And do you still read children's books now?

The ones I remember most vividly from my childhood are:

Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren

The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

The Snow Spider Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo

The Midnight Flk and The Box of Delights by John Masefield

The Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton

The Twits by Roald Dahl

The Devil on the Road by Robert Westall

Chocky by john Wyndham

I still enjoy children's and young adult novels now and I'm getting to enjoy younger children's books again now as I read them to Xander. :)

Yes I still read children's books now and luckily I have a 4 year old who absolutely adores reading :D

My favourites are

The Tiger Who Came To Tea

Mog The Forgetful Cat

The Stone Cage (My mum owned a copy when I was a child and I was devestated to find out it was out of print. Then a couple of years back, my boyfriend managed to find a copy :D )

Harry Potter

The Chronicles of Narnia

And all Roald Dahl books. I used to own nearly all of them and I re-read them until they fell apart.

Harry Potter I got majorly into when I was about 12.. so 12 years ago. But. It was more a Young Adult thing for me. The first book series I picked up without a recommendation. I grew to love it on my own, and I pursued it without encouragement from my family.

Also, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_the_Ice_People Scandinavian/Swedish I think. Set in middle ages - present day, a saga about a very special people (Isfolket) and their cursed heritage.

edit:

Keep thinking of more. I read Child of her people by Anne Cameron over and over and over. About an Indian girl driven from her tribe by settlers or somesuch. Really heartbreaking book.

Edited by Hyzenthlay

I read a lot of books, some well known and many probably not very well known at all:

When I was very small:

The Velveteen Rabbit

The Discontented Pony

Shy Little Kitten's Secret Place

Anything with flaps I could lift up

That book about the baby bear who can't sleep

Sasha And The Wolf Cub

When I was a little older up to around 13:

A Legacy Of Ghosts

Run With The Wind

Del Del

The Babysitters Club series

Fleabag & The Ring Fire

Castle In The Attic and it's sequel Battle For The Castle

The Butterfly Lion

The Carribbean Jewels Mystery

The Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton

The Famous Five

Over Sea, Under Stone (The first in the Greenwitch series which I've never read the rest of, but mean to)

Switchers

Out Of Nowhere

The Guns Of Easter

The Wakening

Catchman (Point Horror Unleashed, I maintain it's the best PH book ever written)

Fionn The Cool

I'm probably forgetting some - these are just the first ones that spring to mind - if I think of any more I'll come back and update the list.

My favourite childrens books that I can remember off the top of my head are

Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Pot

Smoke and Fluff

Anything by Enid Blyton

The Very Hungry Catterpiller

We're going on a Bear Hunt

Beatrix Potter books

The Rainbow Fish

there are so many more, but I can't remember them!

My earliest memories are of my dad and grandad reading to me, it was childrens classics like Winnie the pooh, Just So Stories and Wind in the willows, when I learnt to read it was Pippi Longstocking, Emile in the soup Tureen, Mrs Pepperpot, I had a lovely book called Aurora and her little blue car, Nancy Drew and so many many more I am sure as I read some of the posts in this I will find others.

When I was a kid I loved R.L Stine's Goosebumps series, Ann M. Martin's Baby-sitters Club books, and, of course, Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley series. Also, when I was pretty young my mom read The Little House books to me and I read them myself when I got older.

I read the Anne of Green Gables books as a teen. Harry Potter became a favorite as an adult.

Some of my favorite picture books:

Tawny Scrawny Lion by Gustaf Tenggren

Hiram's Red Shirt by Mabel Watts

What Was That by Geda Bradley Mathews and Normand Chartier

Berenstein Bears books by Stan and Jan Berenstein (my two-year old loves these too)