Jane Austen Spin-offs

vodkafan

I just had a mad moment on Amazon...I only went there to buy a book for my daughter Michelle recommended...I also bought the following DVDs:

The Jane Austen Book Club

Becoming Jane

Lost In Austen (TV series)

Anybody know what these are like? Am I in for a treat?

I've watched Becoming Jane but can't remember a lot about it. I think I enjoyed it though!

Lost in Austen was very tongue in cheek, but I loved it! I was hoping they might do a second series from Elizabeth's point of view.

I read somewhere ages ago that they were making a film version (not sure why!) but I haven't heard anything for ages about it (in fact, I'd forgotten until I read this thread).

I love all three!

I've also read the following mash-ups/subversions of her books (with my ratings):

Emma Tennant – Pemberley - 3/5

Amanda Grange – Mr Darcy, Vampyre - 3/5

Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 3/5

Lynn Shepherd – Murder at Mansfield Park - 3/5

I also recently heard about the following books, all told from the point of view of the men in Austen's novels, all by Amanda Grange:

Darcy's Diary (2005)

Mr Knightly's Diary (2006)

Mr Darcy's Diary (2007)

Captain Wentworth's Diary (2007)

Edmund Bertram's Diary (2007)

Colonel Brandon's Diary (2008)

Wickham's Diary (2011)

Henry Tilney's Diary (2011)

Dear Mr Darcy (2012)

I have them all on my wish list...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that's a lot of spin-off books Kell I didn't know most of those existed..

OKey Dokey I watched all 4 episodes of Lost In Austen yesterday and today. I thought it was great and very well done, all the characters were as you expect, but of course the replacement of Elizabeth Bennett by a girl from the 21st century upset the applecart completely and so the characters reacted in ways different to the book, but in ways consistent with their characters, if that makes sense...a fantastic idea.

Because of course the heroine knew the characters' secrets from reading P &P, some of her first reactions to them were very funny . I could put in spoiler tags and write some but I will just recommend you watch it instead.

Tonight I am going to watch The Jane Austen Book Club

Lost in Austen was great. I enjoyed every minute of it. I agree with you vodkafan, the chracters were different but the same. They really captured the characters' personality and I don't think that's an easy thing to do.

Might have to watch it again soon :D

Lost in Austen was great. I enjoyed every minute of it. I agree with you vodkafan, the chracters were different but the same. They really captured the characters' personality and I don't think that's an easy thing to do.

Might have to watch it again soon :D

Yes Abcinthia I will certainly watch that again after a while. Last night I watched The Jane Austen Book Club. It was OK, not a great film , I have a feeling the book would probably be better. The idea that two on-the-rocks marriages could be turned around right at the end by the husbands suddenly reading an Austen book was a bit cheesy, but hey that's the story, I have seen much worse.

Edited by vodkafan

• 2 weeks later...

OK I saw (most of) the last one of my Austen spin-off "trilogy"- Becoming Jane. Unfortunately I could not finish it. I like Anne Hathaway (mostly for Rachel Getting Married and Passengers) but this film seemed just too much conjecture and supposition. We don't know whether Jane Austen was good at cricket. We don't know if she ever fell in love. So this one failed to hit the spot for me. :irked: