THE UNDERSTUDY, David Nicholls

Frodo

Hello.

I find I flinch sometimes, when a critic blurbs a book as being `laugh out loud` funny. So often to me, this doesnt happen. But I have been happily proved wrong, in THE UNDERSTUDY, by David Nicholls. Which I have been reading on a crowded bus, and just had to give a soft hoot of laughter at one lovely piece of narrative from this novel. Poor Stephen McQueen, understudy to the famous and good looking actor, Josh. Stephen really is a bit of a nerd. His current claim to fame, being a walk on part playing a ghost, where he has to drift in a ghostly fashion across stage, slowy open a door; slowly drift through the doorway, and slowly close the door. He does practice this each time before he actually goes on stage to give his `performance` In fact, life has stacked all the odds so far against him succeding in becoming an actor worthy of his name-sake. That I am just routing for him to get a big break and find success. I do suggest this book, if you are looking for a slight change in your reading genre. I have been reading recently, some thrilling suspense/mystery, and THE UNDERSTUDY, arrived as a breath of fresh air.

• 3 months later...

Just bought this, along with Nicholls' first book, 'starter for ten', which I just finished in three days, couldn't stop.

Would reccomend it, reminded me of the Adrian Mole series from years ago, and a bit of reminiscing of my early times at university, though not so cringeworthy!

Am looking forward to 'The understudy'.

Have you read his second book, 'One Day'?