Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves

dawnbirduk

Fell down a bit here, when I got this out the library, I didn't realise it was book 4 till I logged it on Goodreads, I usually don't do this, however, I decided to give it a go, and it does stand on its own quite well.

However, I found it slow, uninspiring and quite predictable, to be honest I couldn't wait to finish it, though I have to confess the ending bought a tear to my eye. :giggle2:

From Ann Cleeves website

Detective Jimmy Perez knows it will be a difficult homecoming when he returns to Fair Isle to introduce his fiancée, Fran, to his parents. It's a community where everyone knows each other, and strangers, while welcomed, are still viewed with a degree of mistrust.

Challenging to live on at the best of times, with the autumn storms raging, the island feels cut off from the rest of the world. Trapped, tension is high and tempers become frayed.

Enough to drive someone to murder...

When a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isle bird observatory, with feathers threaded through her hair, the islanders react with fear and anger. With no support from the mainland and only Fran to help him, Jimmy has to investigate the old-fashioned way. He soon realises that this is no crime of passion - but a murder of cold and calculated intention.

With no way off the island until the storms abate, Jimmy knows he has to work quickly. There's a killer on the island just waiting for the opportunity to strike again.

...However, I found it slow, uninspiring and quite predictable, to be honest I couldn't wait to finish it, though I have to confess the ending bought a tear to my eye. :giggle2:

I have not read this one, but have read some of the earlier ones in the series. I think your comment there applies to them too. The first one I found interesting, particularly because of the location and some of the character descriptions, but as I read the later books in the series I found the stories a bit thin. This put me off reading any more (I still have one unread one on my bookshelf).