Nici's Reading

Nici

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a.book.in.the.life, it's really disappointing when you really look forward to a book and then it lets you down....

I started with The Know. Very gritty but impossible to put down! I also really enjoyed The Ladykiller, another great book!

I can't quite believe I am writing this but I am going to give up on Martina Cole - Faces.

I am finding it a chore to read it and reading should be a joy. I got into bed last night and fancied a read but didn't want to read this book so that made my mind up. I will put it back on the bookshelf and try again in the future......

I think the problem with this book is that there is too much description writing and not enough 'doing' if that makes sense. I also think that she is churning out books too quickly (one a year) and not spending enough time on writing them.

I am so disppointed. :lol:

I can't quite believe I am writing this but I am going to give up on Martina Cole - Faces.

I am finding it a chore to read it and reading should be a joy. I got into bed last night and fancied a read but didn't want to read this book so that made my mind up. I will put it back on the bookshelf and try again in the future......

I think the problem with this book is that there is too much description writing and not enough 'doing' if that makes sense. I also think that she is churning out books too quickly (one a year) and not spending enough time on writing them.

I am so disppointed. :lol:

I have only ever tried one Martina Cole book and I thought it was awful. Anyone who uses an overwhelming amount of swearing and sordid sex is not a writer worth bothering with in my opinion.

After hearing many a good thing about this book on here, I have started to read John Connolly - The Book of Lost Things.

Blurb from the back of the book

High in his attic bedroom, twelve year old David mourns the loss of his mother. He is angry and he is alone, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness, and as he takes refuge in the myths and fairytales so beloved of his dead mother he finds that the real world and the fantasy world have started to meld. The Crooked Man has come, with his mocking smile and hisenigmatic words: 'Welcome, your majesty. All hail the new king.'

And as war rages across Europe, David is violently propelled into a land that is both a construct of his imagination yet frighteningly real, a strange reflection of his own world composed of myths and stories, populated by wolves and worse-than-wolves, and ruled over by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious legendary book...

I finished John Connolly - The Book of Lost Things last night. I really enjoyed it even though it was very different to what I normally read. It was very funny in some places!

I have now started a book which I have been eagerly awaiting!

Raven Hart - The Vampires Kiss

Blurb from the back of the book:

A dark and brooding creature of the night, William Cuylet Thorne has spent five centuries mourning the deaths of his beloved wife and son. In that time, he has also grown into Savannah's most powerful vampire, attracting rich, beautiful

women and commanding fear in all who dare cross his path. Now he seeks revenge. For it appears that his wife and son are not dead, but rather undead having joined a malicious clan of European bloodsuckers

Just a quick update to say I am loving The Vampires Kiss. I haven't read as much as I would like recently due to my headaches but now i'm feeling better I don't intend to put it down!

It's nice to be back in the company of William, Jack and the gang and once again Raven Hart is doing a fab job! :welcome:

I have just finished The Vampires Kiss -

Oh my goodness, what a lot to happen in one book! I was sad that Eleanor died, really happy that Jack and Connie FINALLY got together but then was sad again when I realised what had happened to them..Oh yes and very happy that William got Renee back.

I once again found it really funny and couldn't put it down!

Now onto Raven Hart - The Vampires Betrayal. I can't give you the blurb as I am reading Michelle's manuscript.

Finished Raven Hart - The Vampires Betrayal this evening. Yet another excellent book by Raven

but I can't believe the ending, i'm so sad.

I am now starting Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Blurb from the back of the book

Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his workday existence and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and utterly bizarre. And a strange destiny awaits him down here, beneath his native city: neverwhere.