Hello, I'm new

shelley.s

Hi all,

I've just joined, I've been looking at different book forums for a while and this place seemed alot friendlier than the rest so picked you guys :blush:

I'm an avid sci fi/fantasy reader. I've read most/all of the books by J.R.R Tolkein, Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman, Jonathan Stroud, J.K. Rowling and a few others. I can't seem to kick the teenage books despite the fact I've just turned 22 :rolleyes:

I'm halfway through the last book in Jonathan Stroud's Triology (The Bartimaeus Triology) and have just bought a new book called Miss Peregrins home for peculiar children which looks fab. Plus its a new author which is a big thing for me as I usually stick to ones I know! Anyway, hi from me

Hi all,

I've just joined, I've been looking at different book forums for a while and this place seemed alot friendlier than the rest so picked you guys :blush:

I'm an avid sci fi/fantasy reader. I've read most/all of the books by J.R.R Tolkein, Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman, Jonathan Stroud, J.K. Rowling and a few others. I can't seem to kick the teenage books despite the fact I've just turned 22 :rolleyes:

I'm halfway through the last book in Jonathan Stroud's Triology (The Bartimaeus Triology) and have just bought a new book called Miss Peregrins home for peculiar children which looks fab. Plus its a new author which is a big thing for me as I usually stick to ones I know! Anyway, hi from me

Hi, I'm new too. I also love Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and am a big Harry Potter fan! Welcome!

Thank you for your welcome Clive :)

Harry potter will forever be close to my heart, it was the series that got me into reading. Before J.K.Rowling I hated books, I even took the pee out of my little sister when we were younger because she was a book worm and I wasnt. If I could get the same magic from every book as I did from reading harry potter id be one happy person! I remember pretending I was ill to get a week off school when the 5th one came out so I had extra time to read it :lol:

Hello Shelley! :welcome2:

I've got Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children on my wishlist, it looks very interesting :smile2:

It does look very good! I can't wait to read it. Have you seen any of the quirky photos throughout the book? I'm glad I chose it as it was a toss up between that and The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong, I've not read either authors so I hope I made the right choice

I've only seen it on the Kindle store, so I haven't seen the photos in it. Even more intriguing now! I've read The Gathering - Kelly Armstrong is quite a favourite on this forum, and from what I've seen I don't think you could go wrong with either choice :D The only thing with The Gathering is that although it's the start of a new series, it's sort of a spin-off from another series which starts with The Summoning. It won't spoil your enjoyment of The Gathering not to have read the first series and you don't need to have knowledge of the other books to enjoy the story or follow the plot, but you will get a couple of little extra tidbits from it, if you've read the others first.

I've only seen it on the Kindle store, so I haven't seen the photos in it. Even more intriguing now! I've read The Gathering - Kelly Armstrong is quite a favourite on this forum, and from what I've seen I don't think you could go wrong with either choice :D The only thing with The Gathering is that although it's the start of a new series, it's sort of a spin-off from another series which starts with The Summoning. It won't spoil your enjoyment of The Gathering not to have read the first series and you don't need to have knowledge of the other books to enjoy the story or follow the plot, but you will get a couple of little extra tidbits from it, if you've read the others first.

Yes the author is has made lots of bizar photos (and very realistic they are too) to go with the story! You have to see the book in the flesh!

I've heard lots of good things about Kelley Armstrong and looking back, I'm surprised I've not read any of her books before. I'm really particular about finishing books/series before I start a new book/author so I've been reading the same authors for a good few years now which is probably why I've not bought any. I will definalty start with her previous books as opposed to starting with the gathering, I like to read in order.

Thank you ever one for such a warm welcome. I have to say I'm quite (pleasently) surprised by the number of hello's from everyone. I looked on another site before here and some guy had introduced himself a week ago and didnt get a single hello back, its not hard to see why everyone joins here instead!

Ooo I forgot to mention, another favourite of mine was Christopher Poalini's Inheritence triology I absolutly loved the first two books but for some reason I really started to struggle with the 3rd book, I ended up leaving it half way through (something I never normally do) and its been on the shelf for about a year now. I really want to get back into it so if anyone who has read it recently could quickly summarise whats happened to save me re-reading it that would be great! I think I had alot of books that I was eager to read and reading the 3rd one was just so long I gave up

Welcome to the forum!

I've also read the complete Harry Potter series and likes, but I never became that big fan.

I tried Terry Pratchett once, but I didn't catch his way of humor. :D

I think Harry Potter is more appealing when your young, I literally grew up with Harry Potter, we were the same age when I read the first book so I could really relate to him, especially growing up and the relationships with his friends etc. Its not for everyone though. Terry Pratchett again has a very particular style of writing. The only book that I felt was very different from his normal style was Nation but I absolutly loved it. I think he was writing this book when he was sadly diagnosed with alzheimers so that could be why the stlye is dramatically different but it was my favourite book of all I think

:17: to the forum Shelley.s :)

I totally struggled with all three books of the Inheritance trilogy, I still want to know how everything will conclude in book 4. I might read all the books in german this time, maybe it was just a language barrier that kept me struggling.

My friend was reading it at the same time as me and she loved it and can't wait for the 4th book so I'm willing to try and get back into it in time for the last book. I think you should re-read it in German if thats your 1st language, I admire anyone who can read in other languages but it must be hard lol

Hi Shelley welcome to the forum, I am going to second Chesil's recommendation of Kelley Armstrong I have readl all her books and love them both the YA and Adult ones are good, but I do think you need to start with the first trilogy.

enjoy being recommended loads of books btw, we are an avid lot of readers :D

Hi Shelley welcome to the forum, I am going to second Chesil's recommendation of Kelley Armstrong I have readl all her books and love them both the YA and Adult ones are good, but I do think you need to start with the first trilogy.

enjoy being recommended loads of books btw, we are an avid lot of readers :D

Thank you for the welcome. One of the main reasons I joined was to get reviews and recommendations before I buy the book! (sorry kindle/e-book loves but I just don't like the concept of reading on a screen, it has to be the real thing for me)

I think I'll put Kelley Armstrong down as the next one on the to buy list. What is the title of the first book in the first series?

Hey Shelley the first of The Darkest Powers books is The Summoning followed by The Awakening and The Reckoning the next trilogy of which there are two books so far are the Darkness Rising books they are The Gathering & The Calling although The Calling isn't out til 2012.

Hi there!

I'm currently re-reading the David Eddings Belgriad series. These are fabulously well written books and from what you've already stated I imagine you would like them. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Wow yes, fantastic series, I had forgotten about them, will have to reread I think