Hi there

CyborgDreamSt8

Well hello there, everyone. My name is Carl, and I am new to the forums. I am a huge bookworm, probably much to the dismay of my fiance, he doesn't like to read, but hey what can you do. I am 26, living in small town West Texas, and I work in law enforcement. I have few hobbies, but my reading takes up so much of my time that I don't really mind all that much. If I'm not reading you can find me at work, or spending time with my fiance and my family, or traveling as we both love to travel. I can't really think of much more to say so I will leave it at this, feel free to ask any questions you wish, I'm not all that shy and I don't bite, I promise.

Wow, thanks for the welcome, guys. As to what kind of books I like to read, it really depends on my mood. My favorite genre is science fiction, though I do like horror as well. I will read non-fiction when the mood strikes me, though I usually keep it to science related books and a few political ones. Rarely I will read a biography. Right now I am slogging through Moby Dick and just don't think I am going to be able to make it through.

Hello there Carl. Who are some of your favourite authors?

Hi there, Isandriena, some of my favorite authors are Stephen King, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz, JRR Tolkien, Richard Bach, Alastair Reynolds and I'm sure the list could just go on and on. That's a few of them though, what about you? Any suggestions?

Right now I am slogging through Moby Dick and just don't think I am going to be able to make it through.

I know how that feels, I hope you make it through! Welcome to the forum I'm pretty new myself but so far I'm really liking it here. Every ones really friendly and I've had some great help with book recommendations.

I've never read Moby Dick though I've had that feeling of something being a slog rather than a joy. I really hate to give up on books but shamefully I have a few times. Some things just aren't going to be for you (or thats how I look at it) and it's totally outweighed by the times you think you're going to hate something and end up loving it. That's happened to me a few times and its the best!

As for making it easier, I find a little break helps as long as its not to long. Or just filling time if you have half an hour with it rather than spending a hours with the book. I can only do that if I can't put it down! But then I've always been like that.

I've never read Moby Dick though I've had that feeling of something being a slog rather than a joy. I really hate to give up on books but shamefully I have a few times. Some things just aren't going to be for you (or thats how I look at it) and it's totally outweighed by the times you think you're going to hate something and end up loving it. That's happened to me a few times and its the best!

As for making it easier, I find a little break helps as long as its not to long. Or just filling time if you have half an hour with it rather than spending a hours with the book. I can only do that if I can't put it down! But then I've always been like that.

You have just given me a wonderful idea, I have Moby Dick on my Kindle, which means that I can read it on my Android phone. I will simply read it when I am on break at work. I plan to get the combined Jurassic Park/Lost World book from Barnes and Noble in about a week and a half and I won't be done with MD in anything close to that time frame. I can read one at home and one at work.

Hi Carl. Welcome to the forum.

Two questions: you like scifi have you ever read any Jack Vance? He is my favourite author.

Also have you ever shot anybody in the course of your job?

Thanks for the welcome, vodkafan. To answer question number one, no, I have heard of Jack Vance but I haven't ever read anything written by him. Since you speak so highly I might look into him though. To answer question number two, no, I am in corrections so I am not required, nor even allowed at this point, to carry a weapon. I have not been certified and it is optional. I thought about it, but the cost of buying a weapon is quite high, especially for the kind I wish to have. It is a decision I have been mulling over for some time and might eventually make the leap to do. I don't take the idea of using a weapon on a fellow human being lightly, especially since I deal with non-convicted inmates. Why do you ask?

Hey there and welcome to BCF, Carl!! Glad to have you :D

Do you have a fave King book?

It's a toss up between Salem's Lot and Needful Things, and possibly Tommyknockers. I couldn't put any of them down, they were just that good. However, if I could choose only one it would have to be Needful Things.

Thanks for the welcomes guys, to the two who welcomed me under this question.

Welcome to the forum, Carl!

:17:

As you have been talking about Moby Dick here: I've read it a few years ago and I enjoyed it. :)

But sometimes I have books where I find it hard to make it through from the first pages.