ideas for an avid 8 yr old reader

debboy

Hi

Just wondered if anybody had any ideas of some books for my 8 yr old daughter, who reads loads. She loves Roald Dahl and Michael Morpurgo and has read most of theirs. Recently read the enchanted Horse which she loved. Am running out of ideas which are age appropriate.

hmmm. Have a look at Helen Cresswell (maybe Lizzie Dripping?). Am trying to think what I liked at that age. Enid Blyton. How about Angie Sage's Septimus HEap series? Starts with Magyk. Umm how about Tom's Midnight Garden. My Mum read The Hobbit to me at about that age.

If she likes Michael Morpurgo she might like Lucy Daniels (if the Animal Ark series are still being published that is), or she could try The Animals of Farthing Wood.

Has she tried Jacqueline Wilson? I really liked her at that age and I know she is still popular.

I loved Lois Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik books when I was a kid, and I still do! I read them religiously. Very age appropriate, and full of pretty clever stuff, eventhough they are kind of 'basic' books, no fantasy material, just about an average young girl, but she's really nice and funny and quirky and her family is fabulous. Even as an adult, I discover loads of hidden wisdom between the lines in these books :)