Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two films at the weekend:

Royal Wedding (aka Wedding Bells) from 1951, with Fred Astaire and Jane Powell. Cheesy story, and the supporting cast were awful, but the dancing and singing were great, and there was some nice comedy.

Niagara from 1953, with Marilyn Monroe, Joseph Cotten and Jean Peters. Very obviously influenced by Hitchcock. It was an enjoyable thriller.

Edited by Ruth

Dreams of a Life. Really powerful film about Joyce Carol Vincent - a 38 year old woman who died in her bedsit above a busy London shopping mall, but her body wasn't discovered until nearly 3 years later, surrounded by wrapped Christmas presents and the TV still on. A reporter heard about the story, and couldn't believe that a young woman could just have no-one who would miss her. So she took out adverts in papers asking for anyone who knew Joyce Vincent to contact her, and she made it into a movie. It's mostly snippets from these people who knew her, plus a few reconstructed events. A really powerful movie.

Trailer can be found here: http://dreamsofalife.com/

Dreams of a Life. Really powerful film about Joyce Carol Vincent - a 38 year old woman who died in her bedsit above a busy London shopping mall, but her body wasn't discovered until nearly 3 years later, surrounded by wrapped Christmas presents and the TV still on. A reporter heard about the story, and couldn't believe that a young woman could just have no-one who would miss her. So she took out adverts in papers asking for anyone who knew Joyce Vincent to contact her, and she made it into a movie. It's mostly snippets from these people who knew her, plus a few reconstructed events. A really powerful movie.

Trailer can be found here: http://dreamsofalife.com/

Seems like might be a good film Bobblybear seems a shame if the real woman was 38 they could at least have got someone that age to play her ; the woman in the trailer looked about 20.

We went to see Men in Black III, or maybe it's only called MIB III...not sure. :D Anyhow, a guilty pleasure for me. Tommy Lee Jones is so fantastic, and Will Smith was very good. As always. Hard to say I'd recommend it. Lots of silliness, but I did like the back story it gave the guys.

Saw Jaws at the cinema in the week - I'd never watched it, and my husband had only seen it on the small screen. Great film :)

At the weekend I watched a Doris Day/Rock Hudson film - Lover Come Back. Very light-hearted and frothy, with lots of laughs!

Edited by Ruth

pontalba, I saw Men in Black III a few weeks back. Can definitely say I enjoyed it, but only to an extent. Did like all the backstory and such, but it didn't strike me as doing anything new. Not that it had to. It was a fan service film. I can say that if people liked the other ones they will enjoy this one. Plus, Josh Brolin was great as Tommy Lee Jones, I thought.

Saw Jaws at the cinema in the week - I'd never watched it, and my husband had only seen it on the small screen. Great film :)

Fantastic, Ruth! :D That's probably my second favorite film of all time and I'm glad you guys were able to see it on the big screen. How cool!

I watched Lost in Translation for the hundreth time over the weekend. Love that one and will never tire of it!

pontalba, I saw Men in Black III a few weeks back. Can definitely say I enjoyed it, but only to an extent. Did like all the backstory and such, but it didn't strike me as doing anything new. Not that it had to. It was a fan service film. I can say that if people liked the other ones they will enjoy this one. Plus, Josh Brolin was great as Tommy Lee Jones, I thought.

Boy, you are not kidding! I told my OH that I couldn't believe how well Brolin absolutely channeled Tommy Lee. Agreed, it was more for fans of the original. Honestly the opening of the film really put me off, but we waited to see and it improved considerably.

I watched The Money Pit on telly last night, and had forgotten how funny it was (and how young Tom Hanks looked :eek: made be feel a bit old), then tonight, went to the cinema to watch Where Do We Go Now?, a film about a group of Lebanese women who try to prevent religious conflict breaking out between the men of their village. Absolutely brilliant - funny, charming, sad, and a couple of musical numbers to boot!

Edited by chesilbeach

Watched Woman In Black today - went from slow, to creepy, to a bit silly. I did like the ending though. Bethany found it quite scary.

The ending to this was part good, part disappointing.

Saw The Five Year Engagement with Emily Blunt and Jason Segel this afternoon. Emily was brilliant (as always) and Rhys Ifans has a small role as well, but was fantastic whenever he was on screen. I did enjoy it, but 124 mins is too long for a romcom. There should be a law saying a romcom should ideally be 90 mins but no longer than 100 mins :lol:

Saw Moneyball, Brad Pitt was amazing with a thoroughly convincing performance. Still have no idea how Jonah Hill got an Oscar nomination for his supporting role, he wasn't bad but the role was very passive and undemanding.