Which 3 books on your TBR pile would you take...

You have won a 2 week holiday to your dream destination, for you only, and you will only have yourself for company when you get there. The only condition is that you must leave immediately and may only take 3 books from your TBR pile/mountain (ok a strange story just cos I am interested to see what you would all pick.... So look at your pile and make an instant decision, 1 minute max, and lets see what you come up with... (I'm sure Kylie and a few others may need a few extra minutes to get their library ladders out) :giggle2:

I'll start -

The Novel In The Viola - Natasha Solomons

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton

Uglies - Scott Westerfield

That only took 30 seconds!! (Yes I was sad enough to time myself) :blush:

EDIT - Just seen that was by 200th post so off to crack open a bottle of champers! :D

Edited by chaliepud

Strictly from TBR.. three random, quick picks; a decent mix I feel.

Crime and Punishment. - Dostoyevsky.

The Fry Chronicles. - Stephen Fry.

Hell Gate. - Linda Fairstein.

I'd cheat and take my Kindle though. :giggle:

Alexandre Dumas – The Count of Monte Cristo

Michel Faber – The Crimson Petal and the White

Leo Tolstoy – Anna Karenina

Coz they're all quite chunky and would take me a bit longer to read. Gotta make sure I don't run out of reading material! ;)

Biochemie I don't have to read it, but very interresting and very long

Careless in Red Elizabeth George

World without End Ken Follet

Also very long, I have to fill two weeks....

Or choose a destination where I could do so much that I won't read a word...

Edited by LittleW

I just walked over to me TBR shelves and randomly grabbed 3 books. They are;

'We Need To Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver

'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides

'Blacklands' by Belinda Bauer

Not possible the jolliest of holiday reads, but my Kindle might also fall into my luggage, so I'd get by. :wink:

P.S. Chesilbeach would have to be given a larger number ~ did you notice the number of books she read on her last holiday? :o

:giggle:

It'd have to be the next three I'm (currently) planning to read:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Catalina's Riddle by Steven Saylor

:)

I am going on holiday on Thursday and have just taken 3 books from the TBR shelf to pack

The Spare Room ~ Helen Garner

Return to the Olive Farm ~ Carol Drinkwater

Notes from an Exhibition ~ Patrick Gale

Hoping I will get heaps of time to read when away....that is what holidays are for isn't it? :giggle2: I did take a wee bit longer than a minute though at the time maybe 5!

Edited by Inver

You have won a 2 week holiday to your dream destination, for you only, and you will only have yourself for company when you get there. The only condition is that you must leave immediately and may only take 3 books from your TBR pile/mountain (ok a strange story just cos I am interested to see what you would all pick.... So look at your pile and make an instant decision, 1 minute max, and lets see what you come up with... (I'm sure Kylie and a few others may need a few extra minutes to get their library ladders out) :giggle2:

So I read the start of this thread and I jokingly think to myself chaliepud has obviously made a simple mistake, I'm thinking she either meant 3 books for a two day holiday, or it was a two week holiday and we could choose 30 books from our TBR pile ... and then I see this :

P.S. Chesilbeach would have to be given a larger number ~ did you notice the number of books she read on her last holiday? :o

:giggle:

Outrageous! No-one else is supposed to notice how self indulgent my holidays are and that I read so many books in a week! :lol:

Anyway ... back on topic, and if I had to pick just three books off my TBR for a holiday (obviously the holiday would need to be near a bookshop or have internet connectivity for my Kindle so I could get more while away :wink: ), then it would have to be:

Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd (trusted author whose books I've enjoyed before)

Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons: Travels in Sicily on a Vespa by Matthew Fort (always have to read at least one travel book while away)

Wild Mary by Patrick Marnham (a book I think will take me a while to read, so a long holiday might be just the ticket!)

Something chunky and fun .. The 13 12 Lives of Captain Bluebear - Walter Moers

Something to mull over ... Faulks on Fiction - Sebastian Faulks

Something that's been on the shelf too long - Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernières

Edited by poppyshake

Assuming weight is no object (we're off cycling for three weeks in 10 days time - thank goodness for the Kindle!):

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel (fiction)

The Pursuit of Glory by Tim Blanning (non-fiction)

The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (classic)

Such a great idea for a thread, I saw this thread ages ago but didn't have time to really think about it and have been waiting to really get to it! :smile2:

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien - a chunky book that I've been meaning to read for ages!

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - it was standing right there at the near by bookcase and was staring at me, demandingly!

The Importance of Being Eve Langley by Joy L. Thwaite - ditto!

OK ..... would have to be:

The Crimson Petal and the White - Faber

Dr Zhivago - Pasternak

Slaves of Solitude - Hamilton

additionally, I hope I would be able to take the Kindle which has upwards of 50 books on it :D

Something chunky and fun .. The 13 12 Lives of Captain Bluebear - Walter Moers

Oh my yes! That would be such perfect reading for, well, any time really!

This is a great question but I need to be near my books so I can randomly choose three (at work at the moment).

I'm off on a mini break in 3 weeks, I would take ~

Child Thief by Brom

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

5.gif