Favorite book of the year so far?

I also read this one, and raved about it. :) Around the same time, I also read Cuckoo by Julia Crouch - if you liked Before I Go To Sleep, you'd probably like this one too. Not the same style, but the same excellent writing.

Thanks for the comparison.... now I am beginning to see how belonging to the forum will make my book wishlist grow overnight!! Haha - I'm just on my way to Amazon now.... :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have now added Room and Hyperion to my list....

The other great book that I'd forgotten about from this year is The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw - a really unusual (magic realism style) and touching love story. It stayed with me long after I'd finished it.

The other great book that I'd forgotten about from this year is The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw - a really unusual (magic realism style) and touching love story. It stayed with me long after I'd finished it.

Yep, another great book - and one not many people seem to have read.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett-looking forward to the movie. Closely followed by Fires In The Dark by Louise Doughty,Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden & Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson.

I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, as the post on my reading list shows:

From others' posts on the forum I could see that this looked like a "love it or hate it" book, and I definitely loved it. It often takes me a couple of chapters to get into a book, but I enjoyed this gothic tale from the very first page - the fact that it involved book lovers, an author and a bookshop definitely helped, but I liked the style of writing and very quickly became engrossed in the story. It was one of these books that I kept rushing through other parts of my day so I could get back to my reading!

Excellent choice, it is a fabulous read! And I cannot see who could actually hate the book. No friends of mine, for sure! :D

As I'm still going for favourite book(s) of the year so far, I have another to add to my list, Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi, loved this book!

Wow, you really loved the book, didn't you :D

Without a doubt ~ 'Room' by Emma Donoghue :)

Another excellent choice! :smile2:

I think I will also have to go with Room by Emma Donoghue. However, I'm now reading Lesley McDowell's Between the Sheets - The Literary Liaisons of Nine 20-Century Women Writers, and I've only read the introduction part, and I'm already loving it and really looking forward to reading the rest. It might just be the best book of the year.

Yep, another great book - and one not many people seem to have read.

I read it and enjoyed it, its a very different kind of read, lovely :)

Interesting the same few books keep coming up. I shall definitely be bumping Room up my tbr mountain.

I've given 5 stars to four books this year so far:

The Help

Frankenstein

Stuart, a life backwards

Year of wonders

With hindsight though, I'm not sure the last belongs in the same league as the other three. Maybe I'll downgrade it to 4 and 3/4 s instead.