Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Weave

I may hate shopping and be something of a tomboy but that doesn't stop me loving The Shopaholic Series and Kinsella's stand alone books, Can You Keep A Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess and her latest, Remember Me.

They are the perfect slice of escapism that I, and no doubt other readers, want in a world full of death and misery. So what if the stories are far fetched and unrealistic, so what if things just happen to fall into the lap of the characters. The readers wish it would happen to them.

Shopaholic and Baby isn't the best in the Shopaholic Series but it's damn good read all the same. Roll on the next one please.

Oh and if it wasn't for Sophie Kinsella I wouldn't be a writer. I wouldn't be as obsessed with books as I am now.

I'm going to wait for Remember Me in the library or to be published in paperback as I think it's got an interesting premise but I don't want to shell out on the hardback.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love the Shopaholice series and the Baby edition is the best yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie starring Isla Fisher (but the movies don't usually do the book justice. I hated the film of PS I Love You).

I haven't read Remember Me yet but it is on my list.

I love the Shopaholice series and the Baby edition is the best yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie starring Isla Fisher (but the movies don't usually do the book justice. I hated the film of PS I Love You).

I haven't read Remember Me yet but it is on my list.

I love Sophie Kinsella's books, but I could only get through three (Confessions, Takes Manhattan and Ties the Knot) of her Shopaholic series. I love to shop, but it was the money thing that irked me. I'm not one that spends money I don't have and it just drove me crazy when she did, which was all the time. lol!

Stephanie, ITA with you about PS I Love You. Loved the book, but didn't care for the movie all that much. I'll probably check out the Shopaholic movie though, I love Isla Fisher.

Right now I'm in the middle of Remember Me? and I love it!! I think it will surpass Can You Keep a Secret? as my favorite Kinsella book.

• 2 weeks later...
I love Sophie Kinsella's books, but I could only get through three (Confessions, Takes Manhattan and Ties the Knot) of her Shopaholic series. I love to shop, but it was the money thing that irked me. I'm not one that spends money I don't have and it just drove me crazy when she did, which was all the time. lol!

I read the first few pages of the first one and couldn't read on. I think it made me feel so uncomfortable because it's an awful feeling to be in credit card debt and I didn't want to spend my free time reading about that! ha!!

But I LOVED The Undomestic Goddess!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By the time I had finished Shopaholic & Sister, Becky really annoyed me. She just seemed to be acting like a child all the time.

I read Shopaholic & Baby anyway though, because I didn't want to leave the series unfinished. It wasn't a terrible read but Becky still annoyed me.

• 10 months later...

shopaholic-and-baby.jpg

Amazon description:

Becky's life is blooming! She's working at London's newest fashion store The Look, house-hunting with husband Luke (her secret wish is a Shoe Room)...and she's pregnant! She couldn't be more overjoyed - especially since discovering that shopping cures morning sickness. Everything has got to be perfect for her baby: from the designer nursery...to the latest, coolest pram...to the celebrity, must-have obstetrician. But when the celebrity obstetrician turns out to be her husband Luke's glamorous, intellectual ex-girlfriend, Becky's perfect world starts to crumble. She's shopping for two...but are there three in her marriage!

This is the final book in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic Series, and it is just as good as the other books. Becky is a compulsive shopper, and this pregnancy has given her another reason to go out and spend a great big whack of cash. In regards to shopping, there were a few times I chuckled - like when Luke and Becky go pram shopping in a warehouse full of prams...scary to anyone!

There are other elements to this book, and series however. There is love, friendship - and in this book, jealousy and panic. Becky is a vain, self-obsessed women but I did feel sorry for as she went up against Luke's ex-girlfriend. This is something I like about Kinsella's writing - I feel empathy even when the characters are self-centred. I did like other characters - her mum is completely irrational, which is fun to read, and her friend Suze is just a gem.

This is pure female fiction. It is unashamedly girly. It is an easy, quick read. Fairly predictable and unrealistic - but that adds to the magic that is The Shopaholic Series. I have absolutely loved this series. It is engaging and gripping, light-hearted and fun. I'm sad that this is the end of the books, I'd love more. If you like chick-lit, this book is for you.

9/10

I'm sad that this is the end of the books, I'd love more. If you like chick-lit, this book is for you.

9/10

Kate - you'll be pleased to hear that she's working on another book! ;)

As I told everyone who came to the events, I'm working on a new Shopaholic book. Yay! I am so happy to be back in Becky's crazy world. It's too early for me to tell you much more at the moment, but over the coming months I'll be sharing a few sneak-preview details...

Source :eek2:

• 2 weeks later...