Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I'm reading The Killings of Stanley Ketchel by James Carlos Blake. It's a fictionalised account of the very eventful life of the American boxer Stanley Ketchel, who fought around the beginning of the 20th century. It's a rollicking good read - won't tell you much about the meaning of life, but as I'm not interested in the meaning of life, that won't be a problem.... Good entertainment!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Dark is Rising Sequence Susan Cooper & Girl Meets Boy Ali Smith both really good reads. Nerxt book in line is When I Go To Sleep SJ Watson

What did you think of The Dark Is Rising? I've only read the first book, never quite got into the second!

Finished Alastair Reynolds' Chasm City and started Matthew Glass's End Game - read 10% of it and have already decided to give up on it - it's very sterile and uninvolving, and is more politic/economic based than the Clancy-esque military thriller the cover and blurb advertise it to be. Can't be bothered to waste my time with it. Still, it only cost me 99p when I got it, so not much of a loss.

I'm currently reading All that I Am by Anna Funder. It's an Amazon Vine review book but I'm seriously struggling. The storyline is good but the writing isn't easy to read. I'll persevere though.

Don't know that one, Sue, but I read Anna Funder's Stasiland, about post-Iron Curtain East Germany, a few years back and enjoyed it a lot.

It has hasn't been released yet and I'm supposed to be reviewing it for Amazon. Sadly, I've put it to one side now - something I very rarely do but I just can't lose myself in this book because of the writing style. It takes place in the years between WW1 - WW11 in Germany but it's very political and I think that is what's holding me back. I'm sure it's just me though.

Edited by SueK

It has hasn't been released yet and I'm supposed to be reviewing it for Amazon. Sadly, I've put it to one side now - something I very rarely do but I just can't lose myself in this book because of the writing style. It takes place in the years between WW1 - WW11 in Germany but it's very political and I think that is what's holding me back. I'm sure it's just me though.

That actually sounds like something I'd enjoy, contrarily enough. My Mum grew up in Germany between the wars and, leaving aside all the old England-Germany rivalries, I've got a soft spot for the old place :)

I'm about 150 pages into Room by Emma Donoghue,and I'm really enjoying. At first I was re-reading bits til I tuned in with Jack's 5 yr old viewpoint,but it's been a great read since. I actually bought Room last November,but kept chickening out because of the child's narration,but it makes the story.

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - and absolutely loved it!! Luckily I already have the sequel downloaded and will probably start reading it immediately... although I did want to read Room.... oh, decisions, decisions! :readingtwo:

I'm about 150 pages into Room by Emma Donoghue,and I'm really enjoying. At first I was re-reading bits til I tuned in with Jack's 5 yr old viewpoint,but it's been a great read since. I actually bought Room last November,but kept chickening out because of the child's narration,but it makes the story.

easily one of my favorite books of all time