Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got very far yet with All Quiet on the Western Front but it's quite a short book so hopefully will finish it in the next day or so.

Wow, I had no idea she wrote anything aside from the Emily and Anne series, Frankie, cool!! Is the Blue Castle also set in PEI?

I'm not sure about the setting, I'm afraid! You must know Road to Avonlea, right? It's partly based on the book The Story Girl, which I've also read but as I grew up watching the TV series and didn't read the book til much later on, the book doesn't really compare. It's a decent read though :) L. M. was a very prolific writer, she's written loads of other novels and even series besides the Emily and Anne series :)

Welcome back Frankie :D

Not all that much book activity from me these last couple of days, but I have brought Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi for the reading circle :) actually cannot wait to read this one!

Thanks Laura, it's great to be back! :friends3: Can't wait to read RLiT myself, I hope it makes a great read for our discussion next month :)

I'm not sure about the setting, I'm afraid! You must know Road to Avonlea, right? It's partly based on the book The Story Girl, which I've also read but as I grew up watching the TV series and didn't read the book til much later on, the book doesn't really compare. It's a decent read though :) L. M. was a very prolific writer, she's written loads of other novels and even series besides the Emily and Anne series :)

See, now this shows how much of a sorry fan of LM I am, I really don't know much about her writing other than Emily and Anne! :blush: I've heard of Road to Avonlea, but have not watched it. Did I tell you that the summer I had just graduated high school I took a lovely long tour of those Canadian provinces where Anne was set? I saw LM's house, her relative's house where she got the inspiration for Green Gables, and all the other lovely spots. The Lake of Shining Waters, the White Way to Light, the gazebo, etc. It was one of the best trips I've ever been on!

I'm about 6 chapters into Catching Fire and am as intrigued as ever. Can't wait to see what happens in this one! :D

I have started reading Katie Fforde 'Restoring Grace', seems quite good so far.

I've read this a couple of years ago and really liked it.

I started Maggie Stiefvaters 'Forever' last night, the final book in her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, bit choppy at the moment but I'll get an early night tonight and make a decent effort to get into it. :readingtwo:

I just got this yesterday from amazon, the hardback is so beautiful, just like the other two :D

Not sure I am keeping up with my own reading at the moment but yesterday Yrsa Sigurdardottir's The Day is Dark appeared on my kindle I must have pre-ordered it.

Not sure I am keeping up with my own reading at the moment but yesterday Yrsa Sigurdardottir's The Day is Dark appeared on my kindle I must have pre-ordered it.

It's called Kindlitis. The only relief comes from downloading books, although this in turn can fuel the flames of the condition. I myself downloaded 24 books just 2 nights ago and already I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms. :sos: Sometimes you can even forget you have ordered books, as you've probably done so in a Kindlitis haze. :crazy:

This is one of my reasons for not buying a kindle, they're just to easy to buy and hide, I'm bad enough with tree books!

:she::blush:

Continued reading The Blue Castle last night in bed, I will hopefully finish it today :)

'The Blue Castle', that's an intriguing title, is that literally speaking what the book is about??

Well sort of, the protagonist lives with her Mum and cousin who are very controlling and negative etc etc, and the protagonist has in her dreams always escaped to this Blue Castle where she lives and where she has multiple admirers and a wonderful life in all. It's not sci-fi or fantasy or anything like that, if that's what you thought :D Very L. M. Montgomery.

See, now this shows how much of a sorry fan of LM I am, I really don't know much about her writing other than Emily and Anne!

That's quite alright, those two heroines are by far the most well known ones, and it's not until rather recently that I myself discovered there were more books to Montgomery's bibliography.

I've heard of Road to Avonlea, but have not watched it. Did I tell you that the summer I had just graduated high school I took a lovely long tour of those Canadian provinces where Anne was set? I saw LM's house, her relative's house where she got the inspiration for Green Gables, and all the other lovely spots. The Lake of Shining Waters, the White Way to Light, the gazebo, etc. It was one of the best trips I've ever been on!

Should you ever have the reruns on TV, I strongly advise you watch them, I dare say you'd heartily enjoy them :smile2: And yep, you've told me about the trip and I was and am so jealous! Montgomery's books and the setting regarding to both time and place have always been one of my favorite periods of history I'd love to escape to. Love, love, love it :smile2:

Edited by frankie

It's called Kindlitis. The only relief comes from downloading books, although this in turn can fuel the flames of the condition. I myself downloaded 24 books just 2 nights ago and already I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms. :sos: Sometimes you can even forget you have ordered books, as you've probably done so in a Kindlitis haze. :crazy:

mocking.gif

This is one of my reasons for not buying a kindle, they're just to easy to buy and hide, I'm bad enough with tree books!

Luckily I live alone so I don't have to hide my purchases from anyone! I can only give myself grief. wink.gif

I bought just 2 new books this week: Miracles of Life by JG Ballard and The History of Mr Polly by HG Wells. Penguin in Australia has recently reduced the prices of their black Penguin classics (yay for publishers cutting prices in Australia!), so I have ordered a bunch of them online and should receive them next week. Mr Polly is the first of them.

I also ordered a whole lot of books online and I'm still waiting for a package of books I ordered a month ago. If all goes well, the books should be flowing in for the next week or two! biggrin.gif

Finished Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology - 3 this afternoon. Very interesting.

Also bought a copy of Forever by Maggie Stiefvater, which was essential to buy a paper copy of in order to get the trilogy up on my shelf, and because although the Kindle version was on the amazon.co.uk website all the way up to the release date of the paperback, it's now disappeared and have no idea when it will be available. Didn't want to wait either, so all this amounted to an additional book on my shelf rather than another ebook on my Kindle.