Hayley's better late than never blog 2011...

chaliepud

I am reading Night Road by Kristin Hannah at the moment, it is a long time since I have read a book that has left me so emotional! It deals with events every Mother dreads but is so well written I haven't felt able to put it aside, I will therefore continue to read with tissues. I may actually write a (no doubt) poor review if it ends as well as it started...

Anyways, on to the latest questionnaire, catching up again!!!

5.Book/series you would take with you on a long flight:

Hmm, a long flight, would need to be something light and easy to concentrate on, so might go back to one of my old faves, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, I always prefer to read that one in public for obvious reasons!

6.Worst book you were made to read in school:

Without a doubt, Lord of the Flies!

7.Book that everyone should be made to read in school:

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas, how can anyone read that and not be affected by the storyline, it covers so much history and social issues that I am sure many schools MUST be using it already??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok frankie, I found 14 questions, is that the entire list?? :)

As for today:

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked -

I'll go for Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger, I bought this off the back off The Time Travellers Wife which I adored and found a book that I enjoyed just as much maybe even a little more. It offered an exciting to new slant of the afterlife, had some wonderfully unique if not particularly likeable characters and a great setting (which I plan to visit one day when I have a little more freedom). I know many many people for whom TTTW was a favourite but most people have either chosen not to read HFS or didn't really like it, so maybe it's just me!

Someone else told me this recently too, I can't remember if it was family or friend but they said they enjoyed it more than TTTW so you're definitely not alone. I liked TTTW but I didn't adore it as much as everyone else and so I think I might be one of those people more inclined to like 'Her Fearful Symmetry' anyway I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Night Road - Kristin Hannah

Amazon synopsis -

Lexi and Mia are inseparable from the moment they start high school. Different in so many ways – Lexi is an orphan and lives with her aunt on a trailer park, while Mia is a golden girl blessed with a loving family, and a beautiful home. Yet they recognize something in each other which sets them apart from the crowd, and Mia comes to rely heavily on Lexi’s steadfast friendship.

Mia’s beloved, and incredibly good-looking, twin brother Zach, finds life much less complicated than his sister. Jude thought she’d never have to worry about her son, that he’d always sail through life easily achieving whatever he, and his family, wanted and expected – but then he fell in love.

The summer they graduated is a time they will always remember, and one they could never forget. It is a summer of love, best friends, shared confidences and promises. Then one moment one night changes them all forever. As hearts are broken, loyalties challenged and hopes dashed, the time has come to leave childhood behind and learn to face the future.

This is the first book for a long while that has made me drop everything to read, I have never read any of this authors books before and I will be seeking them out immediately, looks like she has a reasonable back catalogue for me to rummage through.

I can't say much about the book without giving too much away, but the book almost felt like a combination of an YA and adult read read as the majority of the characters are teenagers, yet the storyline is very much an adult one. The book is written from a number of character perspectives and I felt a strong connection with all of them, particularly Lexi. I felt a little frustrated with the Mother at one point as she seemed to be stuck in a rut for a little too long but as the story went on I understood her better. The book was very emotional with a subject matter Mothers (and Fathers) will find challenging, I cried more than once which isn't too common but felt the book taught me a lot about family love, and especially a Mothers love.

So overall, an absorbing, emotional, enjoyable and riveting read.

5/5

Someone else told me this recently too, I can't remember if it was family or friend but they said they enjoyed it more than TTTW so you're definitely not alone. I liked TTTW but I didn't adore it as much as everyone else and so I think I might be one of those people more inclined to like 'Her Fearful Symmetry' anyway I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Oh do Poppy, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it... :)

8.Book that everyone should read, period: I think that it would be hard to find a book that 'everyone' should read, but The Book Thief is full of lessons that everyone should heed so I'll go for that.

Struggling to decide what to read next, after reading a good book it can take me while to get into something else, I may go for Shadow of the Wind, as it has been so popular on here.... :readingtwo:

Ok frankie, I found 14 questions, is that the entire list?? :)

Well, there are more lists where these two came from, if you need some new ones :giggle2:

Struggling to decide what to read next, after reading a good book it can take me while to get into something else, I may go for Shadow of the Wind, as it has been so popular on here.... :readingtwo:

I agree with Kylie, that would be a pretty awesome choice :cool:

Ok, I shall bow under the mighty pressure of the BCF diehards, Shadow of the Wind it is!!! Will probably start tomorrow though as have a killer headache, need this weather to break, I'm far too sensitive for my own good :wink:

I'm absolutely certain you will enjoy Shadow of the Wind and I can't wait to here your thoughts; you have a treat ahead of you for sure. :smile2:

• 2 months later...

I can't believe I forgot that I have this blog, well, actually I can, I have a terrible memory! I also can't believe I have read 13 books since 1st August, that's more than one a week, helped by 10 days in France where I read 4 books, I really need to get seriously cracking on To Kill A Mockingbird if I want to keep that rate going. I'm no good at reviews but thought U might just document what I have read along with a sentence to say how much (or how little) I enjoyed it, so here goes!!

Emotional Geology - Linda Gillard

Amazon synopsis -Rose Leonard is on the run from her life. Haunted by her turbulent past, she takes refuge in a remote Hebridean island community where she cocoons herself in work, silence and solitude in a house by the sea. Life and new love are offered by friends, her estranged daughter and most of all by Calum, a fragile younger man who has his own demons to exorcise. But does Rose, with her tenuous hold on sanity, have the courage to say "Yes" to life and put her past behind her?...

I much preferred this to Stargazing, it was an easy read yet dealt with serious subjects, it flowed smoothly and had a good ending. 4/5

The Body Finder - Kimberley Derting

Amazon synopsis - Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies - or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift, but now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer - and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling in love, Violet is getting closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself.

I really enjoyed this YA read, it's a bit different to many of the usual YA books around at the moment, no vamps, werewolves or fairies to be seen. The characters are well drawn and likeable (except the baddies obviously!) 4/5

Desires of the Dead - Kimberley Derting

Amazon synopsis - Violet and Jay are finally dating, but adjusting to the new relationship is not as easy as Violet anticipated. Especially when she has to split Jay's time and attention with his new best friend, Mike, and Mike's pesky younger sister - who happens to be obsessed with Jay. Meanwhile, when Violet's special abilities lead her to the body of a young boy, her tip to the police puts her on the radar of the FBI. Violet tries to fend off the FBI's questions while maintaining the semblance of a normal life, but somebody's leaving her threatening notes and an echo around Mike's house reinforces that all is not right. Violet is forced to admit that perhaps the only people who can help her figure it out are the very people she's desperate to avoid - the FBI.

I actually enjoyed this more than The Body Finder, perhaps because I had already developed an interest in the characters. It was faster paced than the first book so held my interest more and I read it in 2 days which shows that I was absorbed in the story. 4.5/5

Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin

Amazon synopsis - How do you describe ELSEWHERE? A novel so astoundingly original and carefully crafted that its complexities become common place and the common place resounds with poetry? In this delightful novel death is a begining, a new start. Liz is killed in a hit a run accident and her 'life' takes a very unexpected turn. At nearly sixteen she knows she will never get married, never have children, and perhaps never fall in love. But in Elsewhere all things carry on almost as they did on earth except that the inhabitants get younger, dogs and humans can communicate (at last) new relationships are formed and old ones sadly interrupted on earth are renewed. Full of the most ingenious detail and woven around the most touching and charming relationships this is a novel of hope, of redemption and re-birth. It is a novel that tells of sadness with heart-breaking honesty and of love and happiness with uplifting brilliance.

I really really enjoyed this book, it was completely different to anything I have read before, giving a new slant on the life after death theory which was thought provoking and enjoyable. 4.5/5

Will get on to the rest tomorrow (if I don't forget!!) :giggle:

Edited by chaliepud

Stealing Phoenix - Joss Stirling

Amazon synopsis - What do you do when your soulmate turns out to be a thief? Steal her, of course. Phoenix was raised within the Community, a gang of thieves with paranormal powers, under the control of a harsh master known as the Seer. The notion that there's a soulmate out there for every person with a paranormal gift is mere myth in Phoenix's world. That is until the Seer gives Phoenix the details of her next target, Yves Benedict. He's more than just her next victim, he is her destiny. To be together, Phoenix must break away from the Community but resistance against the Seer puts them both in mortal danger. Phoenix has never trusted anyone before, now it's time to trust Yves with her life.

Part two of the Benedict brothers story, following brothers with savant powers and theirs soulmates. These are very much YA books but I like them, they are easy reading and romantic, what more can a girl need on a chilly autumn night, if you liked Twilight you'll like this. 4.5/5

My Best Friend's Girl - Dorothy Koomson

Amazon synopsis - What would you do for the friend who broke your heart? Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again. Two years later, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to visit her in hospital. Adele is dying and begs Kamryn to adopt her daughter, Tegan. With a great job and a hectic social life, the last thing Kamryn needs is a five year old to disrupt things. Especially not one who reminds her of Nate. But with no one else to take care of Tegan and Adele fading fast, does she have any other choice? So begins a difficult journey that leads Kamryn towards forgiveness, love, responsibility and, ultimately, a better understanding of herself.

This is my second DK book, I really enjoyed The Ice Cream Girls so I thought I'd give this a go, I wasn't disappointed. It was desperately sad in parts yet always retained a sense of love and hope, the characters were believable and I was constantly rooting for everything to end happily, I'm not telling if it did or not, you'll have to read it to find out... 4/5

The Novel In The Viola - Natasha Solomons

Amazon synopsis - In the spring of 1938 Elise Landau arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay. A bright young thing from Vienna forced to become a parlour-maid, she knows nothing about England, except that she won't like it. As servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn, Elise wears her mother's pearls beneath her uniform, and causes outrage by dancing with a boy called Kit. But war is coming and the world is changing. And Elise must change with it.

At Tyneford she learns that you can be more than one person.

And that you can love more than once.

This was a lovely book, with a great sense of time and place, it was easy to get to now the characters and to feel empathy for what they were going through. I'd probably never have known about this book if I hadn't seen so many good recommendations on here, so thank you BCF! 4/5

Edited by chaliepud

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Amazon synopsis -Twelve-year-old Amir is desperate to win the approval of his father and resolves to win the local kite-fighting tournament, to prove that he has the makings of a man. His loyal friend Hassan promises to help him - for he always helps Amir - but this is 1970s Afghanistan and Hassan is merely a low-caste servant who is jeered at in the street, although Amir still feels jealous of his natural courage and the place he holds in his father's heart. But neither of the boys could foresee what would happen to Hassan on the afternoon of the tournament, which was to shatter their lives. After the Russians invade and the family is forced to flee to America, Amir realises that one day he must return, to find the one thing that his new world cannot grant him: redemption.

I was very lucky to receive this as a swap from Chrissy, and my what a fantastic book. Amir is a wonderful character and the book follows him through a life that no child should have to live (although there are some happy times). whilst reading it was terrifying to realise that this story could be told a thousand times over by thousands of Afghan children. I have A Thousand Splendid Suns on my TBR pile and I really hope to get to it before the year is out. 5/5

Matched - Ally Condie

Amazon synopsis -

On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her Match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life.

Except he's not.

In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love.

How many children they have.

Where they work.

When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own.

And that's when her whole world begins to unravel . . .

Another YA read, strange as I would never have read them before Twilight came along. For me, this wasn't the best, though Amazon reviews disagree with me, I felt it didn't flow particularly well and there wasn't enough substance to the story, but maybe that will be rectified in the second book, Crossed, that will be released sometime next year. 2.5/5

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Amazon synopsis - Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out 'La Sombra del Viento' by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from La Sombra del Viento, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

I loved this!! I'll admit it took me a while to get into it and all the way through I had to re read parts, it was so descriptive that my poor old brain sometimes struggled to take it all in, but the characters were so beautifully written. It's not often I read a book and actually feel like I am living it but with this I did, I stayed up late for quite a few nights desperate to know how it was going to end, and what a great ending. So many books have endings that do not befit the quality of the rest of the book but this one did. I have another of his books on my TBR pile and I look forward to reading it. 5.5/5

[The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I loved this!! I'll admit it took me a while to get into it and all the way through I had to re read parts, it was so descriptive that my poor old brain sometimes struggled to take it all in, but the characters were so beautifully written. It's not often I read a book and actually feel like I am living it but with this I did, I stayed up late for quite a few nights desperate to know how it was going to end, and what a great ending. So many books have endings that do not befit the quality of the rest of the book but this one did. I have another of his books on my TBR pile and I look forward to reading it. 5.5/5

The Shadow Of The Wind sounds brilliant chaliepud thanks.

Mister God, this is Anna - Fynn

Amazon synopsis - Anna was four years old when Fynn, then only 16 himself, found her wandering round London's Docklands one foggy night in the 1930s. Badly neglected and abandoned by her parents, he took her home to be cared for by his own family. The impact of this extraordinary child on Fynn, his friends and the people in their neighbourhood was to be immense. Nobody who met Anna could remain the same: this intelligent, lively, precocious chatterbox had an outlook on life which completely undercut adult pretensions and illusions. Anna's influence continues today. Anyone dipping into her thought-processes falls under the spell of her luminous innocence, wisdom and intimate relationship with 'Mister God'.

This is a fascinating book, but it didn't fully hold my interest, I'm not sure if that's because I'm an atheist or because I'm not a fan of true life stories but I found it hard to believe that a young child said and did all those things, maybe it was the way it was interpreted. There were some lovely moments though and I am going to pass it on to a friend that I think will get more from it than I did. 2/5

Dark Lover - JR Ward

Amazon synopsis -In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There also exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Among them, none relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...The only pure-bred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead...Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there before, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes to her at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both...

Lover Eternal - JR Ward

Amazon synopsis -Possessed by a deadly beast, Rhage is the most dangerous of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover - for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him. Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves.

These books came via a swap with Charm, a very kind 2 for 1 swap at that! I really enjoyed these books, very easy reading, with a decent sexy vampire storyline, all the warrior are large, dangerous yet the books develop their gentler protective sides which will appeal to us girls that have previously enjoyed the likes of the Sookie Stackhouse series. 4/5

That's it for now, until I finish To Kill A Mockingbird anyway..

I'm still torn, one day I want one, the next day I don't!! I'm hopefully going to borrow a friends for a few hours to see how I get on. Plus, I think if I'm going to get one I'd like to hold out for the Kindle Touch, if we ever get it in the UK that is!!! :rolleyes:

Plus, I think if I'm going to get one I'd like to hold out for the Kindle Touch, if we ever get it in the UK that is!!! :rolleyes:

Touch screen may be 'easier' to use, but is it as readable? Certainly one of the main pluses for me about the Kindle versus, say, the Sony E-reader, is how much easier it is read without the touch screen getting in the way. For that, I'm prepared to have a slightly clumsier way of handling the reader itself. The Kindle Touch also has a smaller battery life, less storage (although still big!), and I love the 3G bit too.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Amazon synopsis - 'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel - a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with exuberant humour the irrationality of adult attitudes to race and class in the Deep South of the thirties. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina of one man's struggle for justice. But the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a coming-of-age story, an anti-racist novel, a historical drama of the Great Depression and a sublime example of the Southern writing tradition.

This was a lovely yet powerful read, and another book that should be recommended to anyone who will listen. It covers so much, the rape charge actually being quite a small part of it, and because it is written from the viewpoint of children it is never brash in terminology and it is left to us, the readers to fill in the harsh details. There is poverty, racism, prejudice, incest, brutality and yet it is written in such a light way that you whilst you empathise with the characters you are also allowed to feel the humour and positiveness of the more likeable characters. The last couple of chapters are just genius and completely unputdownable. I truly hope my children get to read this for GCSE, I am seriously thinking of buying myself the A'Level reading notes so that I can fully appreciate the book more that I do already (but that could be the ADHD in me!). I believe this is the only book Harper Lee ever wrote and I can only think that she was unable to write anything that could remotely be equal to this. 5/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Blasphemer - Nigel Farndale

Synopsis - He had always been scared of flying. Now, the fear is real. A plane crash. The water is rising over his mouth. In his nostrils. Lungs. As Daniel gasps, he swallows; and punches at his seat-belt. Nancy, the woman he loves, is trapped in her seat. He clambers over her, pushing her face into the headrest.

It is a reflex, visceral action made without rational thought...

But Daniel Kennedy did it. And already we have judged him from the comfort of our own lives.

Almost a hundred years earlier, Daniel's great-grandfather goes over the top at Passchendaele. A shell explodes, and he wakes up alone and lost in the hell of no-man's-land. Where are the others? Has he been left behind?

And if he doesn't find his unit, is he a deserter?

Love; cowardice; trust; forgiveness.How will any of us behave when we are pushed to extremes?

It took me 80 or so pages to get into this book, it jumped around in time and to different characters which I felt made it a little disjointed. However, as I got to know the characters I felt it got easier as I was desperate to know what was going to happen to them, each chapter left you wanting to know what happens next, but you had to catch up with one or two other characters first, this of course meant I got a few late nights as it wasn't always a case of just one more chapter, it was more like 2 or 3! A review at the beginning of the book says 'Farndale's evocation of trench warfare surpasses Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong', I'm really not sure about that as Faulks went into must greater detail, but Farndale has written a book that is much more simplistic (not in a bad way) and easy to follow, and therefore more readable for the masses. The book has a bit of everything, warfare, including the fate of the deserters, faith vs science, relationships, good and bad and a superb description of plane crash, I hope I never find out if it is as realistic as it came across!!!

Next to read - The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstein

Edited by chaliepud

• 2 months later...

Ok, just to finish up 2011 I'll list the last few books I read -

The Night Circus I gave up on after only about 70 pages, I just wasn't in the mood as I was struggling with an ear infection and migraines, it's still on my bedside table so I'll get back to it soon

The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, another lovely read by Zafon, aimed at a younger audience but enthralling none the less, a quick read for Zafon fans - 4/5

The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain, a book recommended by my Mum who has read lots of her books. I found the plot well thought out and it resolved nicely at the end, it wasn't a heavy read but it dealt with some very strong issues, a bit Jodi Piccoult, but better - 4/5

I Wish Someone Were Waiting for me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda, I was really looking forward to this despite not being a fan of short stories, especially after reading reviews of it on Amazon and elsewhere, but for me it failed to deliver, I read four of the stories but I didn't feel there was any real point to any of them, no beginning, middle and end, maybe it was because I am used to full length stories, maybe not. I'd be interested to hear other opinions...

Currently reading The Search by Nora Roberts, I often turn to her books when I have a low mojo as her books are just so easy to read and I don't have to think for myself!!!

I've now started a 2012 reading list so it's bye bye 2011 blog now!! :006: