Torey Hayden books

KAY

I am currently reading one child by Torey Hayden and i can't put it down.

I am a teacher who can really identify with some of Torey's situations and it is an education in it'self readeing her work. Absolutely heart renching, touching, funny in places and really opens your eyes. A book i will never forget. I have just bought "twighlight children" tonight.

Has any body read her work?

I read this whilst studying Psychology at AS Level because it shows how a child is affected by separation anxiety.

It wasn't the best read in the world, but is a real story of triumph against the poorest of starts in life. I don't think I'd rush out and buy any more by her though.

This is one of the books I registered on Bookcrossing.

I have read One Child and really enjoyed it, although as you say, Kay, it is heart wrenching and very moving. As an ex social worker it never ceases to amaze me what people will do to children. I have the follow up to One Child, which if my memory serves me, Is Tiger Child. waiting in my TBR pile.

PP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I've read most of her books so far and I love them. The stories themselves are quite harrowing but they are told in such a way that it almost becomes secondary to the developing relationships.

She is very talented at what she does and her books haven't been dramatised in any way which makes them more heartwarming.

• 11 months later...

I've read some of her books and agree that they are fascinating but I wonder how comfortable the families and children portrayed in them feel about their problems/situation being in the public domain and profited from. After all she was their child's teacher therefore a degree of confidentiality would be expected.

• 1 month later...

I've read just about all of her books and once I had started them couldn't put them down! I work with children with Additional Needs so I could really relate to A LOT of the stories. Think they are great. I've just bought The Sunflower Forest , has anyone read this one?

I've read three of Torey Hayden books and I absolutely loved them. One Child and Tiger Child especially. Aso thought Beautiful Child was good. As has been mentioned before,the tales are especially harrowing,but there is a sense of triumuph over the odds,that is not too sickly sweet. I find Hayden to be a wonderful author and through reading her books a fantastic teacher and person in general. I haven't read The Sunflower Forest,is that her Ficton one?