Suggestions for cheap Kindle downloads

Pixie

Although I have over 100 books downloaded to my Kindle, I have read only a handful and those have been mainly YA books, but as some good distracting reads I can suggest;

Amanda Hocking's Trylle Trilogy of 'Switched', 'Torn', & 'Ascend'.

Joss Stirling's 'Finding Sky' &

Gemma Malley's 'The Declaration'

I tend to visit the Kindle section on Amazon each day as frequently books dip in and out of the Free section, and it's lovely to catch a bargain. It's worth exploring over a day or two to get a feel for the rhythm of when things shuffle about. I bought a few books recently in their Spring Spectacular that had a number of titles reduced right down.

I also visit the Kindle store most days, as I've come across a couple of books where the publishers have set a book to £0.00 for a limited period - I assume to try and get some reviews on the site quickly and hopefully spread good news by word of mouth. I downloaded Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday for free a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying it (light, fluffy, crime/romcom style, but I'm 40% through and finding it funny and entertaining). I've just checked and it's still free today if it's something you'd be interested in.

The cost of books can vary from day to day and week to week too, and just because a book was expensive last week doesn't mean it will still be today, so it's worth keeping an eye on books you're interested in, and they do sometimes put prices up as well, so if you see it cheap and you can afford it, it's sometimes a good idea to get it at that time.

The Spring Spectacular has been a boon the last couple of weeks, but it's finished now, unfortunately. There was a similar offer after Christmas last year with lots of books for £1, so I guess these sorts of offers may become a regular "sale" on the site. However, if you go to the Kindle Store, then Kindle eBooks, then on the left hand side there is a link for Kindle eBooks £5 and under, and then you can select the genre you're interested in, and you'll see all the books listed. Some of these will be up close to the £5, but a lot are lower. I've found the ones for between 70p and £1.40 often tend to be self published, and these can be a bit hit and miss as they often don't have the benefit of editing, but others are fantastic (you know how much we've all loved Linda Gillard's House of Silence). There will also be the usual bestsellers and well known authors that can be still around the £2-£3 mark, such as today, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest is listed at £2.44

The other thing I would say, is don't forget about the option to download a sample. If you don't want to splash out too much money, try the sample first, and if you don't like it, you know it's not worth spending the money on the full book.

Edited by chesilbeach

I agree with Chrissy about Amanda Hocking's books being good kindle buys. They aren't masterpieces, but fun reads, plus cheap. :D

Also, many classics are free. I reread Jane Eyre on my kindle for free and Little Dorrit.

I recommend The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford. It is only $6.95 (not sure if it would be same price in the UK). Seems like I paid a little less for it at the time. Amazon is always raising prices.

I might have to disagree with Chrissy and Nursenblack about Amanda Hocking, I'm afraid. I read one, and I really didn't enjoy it - I felt it would have benefited enormously going through an editor, but it put me off enough to not want to read any more, I'm afraid. I know I read a lot of easy reads, but this one felt too much like a long composition someone wrote for an English class when I was at school, but maybe I'm just too picky. :dunno: On the up side, it was only 70p, so it's not like I wasted a huge amount of money and cut down a tree for it :lol:

Thank you so much for your input, everyone. Some very useful information. I will definitely do some browsing in Amazon's Kindle section for the sales and specials, and also check out the free samples. :)

I just thought of something. I have read a few of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels that I enjoyed, but never got around to getting all of them because they would take up too much shelf space.

Welllll.... :D

• 1 month later...

A few notable additions to the Kindle bargains list today (for me anyway) ...

Both Something Beginning With and Tell Me Everything by Sarah Salway are available at only £2.99 from today. I loved both these novels (here's my reviews of them Something Beginning With and Tell Me Everything), and I'm currently gradually reading through a collection of short stories in her book, Leading The Dance, so I would recommend these two bargains - in fact, I'll probably download them myself as I have one in paperback and the other I had to borrow from the library.

The other I'm going to be buying myself is The Dolce Vita Diaries by Cathy Rogers. UK viewers may know Cathy as one of the original presenters of Scrapheap Challenge, and she was also a guest on one of the podcast episodes of Carpool. The book follows them as they move to Italy and become the owners of an olive farm - one of my favourite types of memoir, set in my favourite place, so I'll definitely be downloading it to keep for a holiday read later in the year.

In fact, the bargains list has quite a few updates on it today, so worth checking out (if you go to the Kindle page, there's a link on the left hand side to Kindle bargains).

Edited by chesilbeach

• 5 months later...

Haven't had time to visit the Kindle store for a while, but when I went on today I noticed they've added a Kindle Daily Deal on the UK site, where each day a particular book is singled out for a special deal, so for example, today they have A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan for £1.29. The deal runs from midnight to 23:59 on each day, and it's a different book every day.

This means I'll have to go back to visiting every day to see if I can pick up some bargains from my wishlist occasionally!

I'm loving the Amazon Daily Deal, and will be sure to check in every day. I can't see how long it runs for - hopefully forever? :giggle2: Last year at Christmas, they did the Twelve Days of Kindle, where a selection of books were available for £1 for 12 days. I bought quite a few as they had some very popular titles. Hopefully they'll do it again this year. :)

I'm loving the Amazon Daily Deal, and will be sure to check in every day. I can't see how long it runs for - hopefully forever? :giggle2: Last year at Christmas, they did the Twelve Days of Kindle, where a selection of books were available for £1 for 12 days. I bought quite a few as they had some very popular titles. Hopefully they'll do it again this year. :)

I've bought a couple of books through the Daily Deal and like you I'm keeping a regular check on it, there have been some good bargains on there. I hope they keep it going as well. :D

I've just taken the risk and ordered my son a kindle for Christmas, he hasn't asked for one but he's a keen reader and always carries his book with him so keeping my fingers crossed he likes it! I guess if he doesn't there's always Ebay!! :smile2:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Kindle Bargains at the moment are listing a lot of romantic fiction to tie in with Valentine's Day. Also, and of far more interest to me, they are also listing a number of titles in the Brief History/Guide series. Having read and enjoyed several in this series, I've had a serious dip into this offer, buying half a dozen or more on British, French and Third Reich History, as well as cloud computing and the universe. Stocking up for some substantial reading! Hope that's of some use.

• 1 month later...