Autonomic stress symptoms from reading

You ever get so worked up while reading that you have noticeable stress symptoms? If so- what was the book?

I did when reading A Weekend in September. It's a book about the 1900 storm in Galvestion, Tx. The writer made such vivid and stirrng descriptions that at one point I realized my heart was racing and my forehead was sweating!

Animorphs used to get me in a right state. I paced and paced, put it down, picked it up again. I had palpitations and I would interrupt my reading to inform my mother what was going on with the characters.

There was another book as well; Fevre Dream by George RR Martin. Towards the end I just got so nervous!

Not quite the same, but I remember once being confined to bed with food poisoning,and not being able to sleep, started reading a book on the introduction of tanks in world war 1. Well, I developed a fever that night and had a completely realistic hallucination that I was there, in the trenches, at the Somme!

I also remember having to put down Gerald's Game by Stephen King at a certain point (no spoilers!) and sit down and rub my wrists for a good half hour!

Ian

I also remember having to put down Gerald's Game by Stephen King at a certain point (no spoilers!) and sit down and rub my wrists for a good half hour!

I just had to stop and rub my wrists with you saying that as it brought it all back to me - all the way through that book I got more and more nervous till reaching the point I know you're thinking of and having to put the book down because I felt so ill and my wrists were actually aching in sympathy!

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the same, but I remember once being confined to bed with food poisoning,and not being able to sleep, started reading a book on the introduction of tanks in world war 1. Well, I developed a fever that night and had a completely realistic hallucination that I was there, in the trenches, at the Somme!

I remember reading a book by Georgette Heyer which involved a woman searching for her husband's body on a battlefield - I came down with really bad flu the night after reading that part, and have very clear recollections of picking my way through the bodies on the way to the bathroom! It was at the time that the BBC series of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was showing too, and having lived my way through Georgette's book, I then went on to hallucinate being part of THGttG.

Edited by Ooshie

Ian

Hmmm I'm really curious now! Fancy reading the book to find out what you're on about!

Edited by Kell
fixed quote coding

I'm interested in all this talk of hallucinations. I've never had a fever-inducing hallucination (or an anything-inducing hallucination, I should point out!) I kind of wish I had though...

I'm interested in all this talk of hallucinations. I've never had a fever-inducing hallucination (or an anything-inducing hallucination, I should point out!) I kind of wish I had though...

Same here - sounds rather exciting. :lol:

I do tend to get hallucinations when I have a high fever - on another occasion, I was doing an assault course with my future mother-in-law! They are interesting, as everything is absolutely as clear as if it really happened in real life. I don't know how/if they compare to hallucinations induced by other means, I'm afraid :lol: