The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

ruuchux

:readingtwo: I am preparing an extended essay on this book, particularly - symbols and their effect. And it would be really nice if all who have read Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" could answer two simple questions:

Which symbols in the book were the most powerful ones? Why?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

(This is meant to be smth like a poll just with explained opinions-I have researched through the book for all symbols. I just wanted to know which ones were the most effective on reader.)

:readingtwo: I am prepearing an extended essay on this book, particularly - symbols and their effect. And it would be really nice if all who have read Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" could answer two simple questions:

Which symbols in the book were the most powerful ones? Why?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

For me the chalice and the other (can't remember the name) as for me that made sense in the portrait and seemed quite plausible and were the first to spring into my brain when I read your post!

Most of the symbols in the Last Supper caught my attention but the rest is a blur.

Went to see the film and thought they'd changed the ending!!

Whereas Angels and Demons had similar discussion of symbols and I can remember them

The M shape in the painting signifying Mary Magdalene?

For me the way the old guy left his body as a symbol, as it is the very first "key" in the story.

Yes, there is that kind of assumption that it might be a clue. But I am rather skeptical about this kind of stuff - you can find links everywhere. It depends how eager you are to find any.

For me, the symbolism that standed out most was in the painting of The Last Supper - the "V" shape between Jesus & the figure here thought of as Mary Magdelene symbolising the chalice (which is symbolism is the female as devine) or vessel that holds something sacred (in this case, the bloodline of Christ) was excellent. It was the key to the entire theory behind the story.

As the resident Archeologist.

priorysion.jpg

This symbol, combining a Fleur De Lis with some loops and triangles, is a fictitious logo of the so-called "Priory of Sion," a hoax organization created by would be royal Pierre Plantard, apparently for purposes of self-aggrandizement.

Made famous by the DaVinci Code and "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," the Priory of Sion is supposedly a secret fraternal order that protects the descendents of Jesus and Mary M.

Plantard is rumored to have snuck forged documents relating to this 'organization' into France's Bibliothèque Nationale, including a fantastic list if "Grand Masters" that included painter Leonardo DaVinci and novelist Victor Hugo amongst other luminaries of art, music, and literature. The aim of these creations appeared to be to establish Plantard as a lost son of royalty, and was just one of Plantard's many weird projects.

There was once a real "Priory of Sion," a monastic order which may have links with the Knights Templar- but the historical record is extraordinarily vague, and there is no evidence of their survival beyonth the thirteenth century.

For me, the symbolism that standed out most was in the painting of The Last Supper - the "V" shape between Jesus & the figure here thought of as Mary Magdelene symbolising the chalice (which is symbolism is the female as devine) or vessel that holds something sacred (in this case, the bloodline of Christ) was excellent. It was the key to the entire theory behind the story.

that was it for me too

although i did like the puzzle box, not that it's symbolism